Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do they know stuff that isn't in the Bible?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

OK so there's the Bible to tell us all about God, Jesus, etc. But there also seems to be a lot else besides. Lots of philosophy on the nature of God and such and consensus on how to live our lives. And the Bible (especially the narrative sections) is a fairly straight forward book.

Let me give an example:
    Someone told me that eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil was actually a metaphor for having sex. But how do they know this? It doesn't say anything about sex in Genesis, just that they knew they were naked...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

It couldnt be that as God told Adam and Eve, “Be fruitful and multiply; and fill the earth.” He wanted them to have children. some people just think sex is evil!!!!!!

look at the da vinci code......

if you look hard enough you can make anything in to a metaphore......

fat cat as in fat cat or a mafia boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

komodosp wrote: »
    Let me give an example:
    Someone told me that eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil was actually a metaphor for having sex. But how do they know this? It doesn't say anything about sex in Genesis, just that they knew they were naked...

They don't know it was a metaphor for having sex - that is a load of absolute tosh - probably caused by repressesion and guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

OK so there's the Bible to tell us all about God, Jesus, etc. But there also seems to be a lot else besides. Lots of philosophy on the nature of God and such and consensus on how to live our lives. And the Bible (especially the narrative sections) is a fairly straight forward book.

Short answer: scholarly endeavour. While I agree that the Bible conveys a straight forward message, I don' believe the Bible is a straight forward book. Epistemologically and eschatologically it conveys some very complex and counter-cultural ideas. (Even after 1000's of posts some regulars here still can't accurately reflect the basic beliefs of Christianity.) PDN could probably tell you a lot more of the scholarly disciplines of hermeneutics, exegesis and textual criticism that are used to accurately translate and understand the texts and the intent of the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The don't, they are mistaken. IIRC it was prior to the tree of knowledge that it is talked about man and woman being joined and becoming one flesh, about multiplying and filling the earth, and only afterwards does God mention an increase in the pain of childbirth, which alludes to childbirth and the necessary physical act already being already known.

Advertisement