Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible (Planet Earth Version).

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I was watching that film Contact staring Jodie Foster (it gets slated everywhere but I think it's pretty good) with a freind of mine a couple of weeks ago. If you aren't familiar with it, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/plotsummary .

She's a Christian, and after the movie we got talking about wether or not we thought there was life outside of Earth. My stance was that surely there must be some life somewhere given the scale of the universe and the adaptablility of life, extremophiles surviving in enviroments previously thought incapable of sustaining life ect.

Her stance was that life only existed on earth because that's what the bible teaches.

So we were having a couple of bottles of wine and after a bit of banter back and forth, we reached a compromise. If we assume the bible is the truth (she knows I'm an atheist and was only accepting the assumption for the sake of the argument) then maybe it only applies to Earth, and perhaps on other planets there is alien life and maybe civilisations who were also created by God and have their own entirely different versions of the Bible that relates to them, their creation and their history, which may or may not include a Messiah coming to the planet, or maybe there was no need for one because God didn't put a fruit tree in their garden of Eden and so the entire civilisation is free of sin ect.

Well anyway I thought it was an interesting idea and would make a good discussion so I just wanted to get your thoughts on the concept if you have any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or maybe several God with a planet each?

As they say in the film: "I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space".

earth-in-milky-way.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't dismiss simple lifeforms existing on other planets but it is then a huge leap to suggest that any of these would have intelligence levels similar or greater to our own (when I've played around with the Drake equation it seems unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't dismiss simple lifeforms existing on other planets but it is then a huge leap to suggest that any of these would have intelligence levels similar or greater to our own (when I've played around with the Drake equation it seems unlikely).

Theres probably higher intelligences out there wondering the same thing about us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Drake equation only deals with our galaxy. By some estimates there are as many galaxies in the universe than there are stars in our one, so this changes the picture somewhat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There is intelligent life on Earth ???
    But on topic, I'd echo's Fanny Cradock's comment on the Drake equations. Given the hazards to life on Earth throughout geological time, they might give odds that are on the optimistic side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Why?

To get from simply life to complex/intelligent life you just need time (why do I feel JC and Wolfsbane have started running towards this thread)

Which is something the universe has plenty of. Imagine what we are going to be like in a million years (assume we last that long) which is nothing on the cosmic scale of things.

I would guess that the universe is full of life and that a small but sizable (given the size of the universe) percentage of these have evolved into intelligent life.

The unlikely thing is that any of them did so in a time scale that correlates to ours. So I think it is unlikely we will ever find them.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Why?

To get from simply life to complex/intelligent life you just need time
    That's it? So nothing about environmental factors, resource availability, competition or the blazing 100 km wide asteroid that is about to strike your planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anthony.mccoy

As far as i'm concerned there is absolutely no question whatsosver. There is life out there, and I would bet my house that there is not only one or two planets with life on them but more like 10's or 100's of millions. Furthermore I would not be in the least bit surprised if there is life on other planets within our solar system. Check out Joel Levines compelling argument about the need to go back to mars.. http://www.ted.com/talks/joel_levine.html

In my humble opinion (and i've thought long and hard about this!), The objective of the universe is to create new and ever expanding ways of experiencing itself. Life posses infinitely more potential to experience than say ... a rock does. But the real beauty about life, and particularly more complex life, is that it has the ability to CREATE experience. We can provide the universe with so much more knowledge of itself than anything else we know of. So I think the universe will create life any damn place it can!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

strobe wrote: »
    Hey, so I was watching that film Contact staring Jodie Foster (it gets slated everywhere but I think it's pretty good)

Average movie but with an outstanding opening sequence. If anything would cause the god-shaped hole in a man to ache it would be his being rendered as small as that opening sequence renders him.

Three cheers for Carl Sagan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That's it? So nothing about environmental factors, resource availability, competition or the blazing 100 km wide asteroid that is about to strike your planet.
    Given enough time everything else will just happen...

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Given enough time everything else will just happen...

MrP

Huh?

Well no because the universe is so freaking big those things become inconsequential.

Well no because the universe is so freaking big those things become inconsequential.

You can't possibly know that other factors are inconsequential. But hey if you want to believe this is the case.

You can't possibly know that other factors are inconsequential. But hey if you want to believe this is the case.

Well I know the universe is freaking big, and basic statistic would suggest that if you expand the sample set out large enough random events with that sample set become inconsequential.

Do you have any strong objection to their being other intelligent life, from a religious position? Or you just don't think it is likely?

Well I know the universe is freaking big, and basic statistic would suggest that if you expand the sample set out large enough random events with that sample set become inconsequential.

I mentioned one large random event - a very large asteroid hitting a planet. But if you don't like this one or any number of rare natural disasters that might strike, I still think it reasonable to suggest that limiting factors like resource availability, for example, would present in all scenarios. I think our ascendency to position of chief bottle washer was an extraordinary coincidence and one not likely to be repeated.
    Do you have any strong objection to their being other intelligent life, from a religious position? Or you just don't think it is likely?

The latter. I think it highly unlikely that there are other lifeforms of comparable intelligence to us. I realise that people raise valid objections to the Drake equation, but as I see it what is good for this galaxy is good for every other galaxy. Still, on a personal note, as a life long sci-fi fan I love to consider the possibility that there are super-intelligent aliens out there zipping through wormholes and battling evil forces. And from a religious perspective, I don't see why other intelligent life existing would be a problem. The really interesting part would be what they have to say about God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think our ascendency to position of chief bottle washer was an extraordinary coincidence and one not likely to be repeated.

In what way do you view it as an extaordinary coincidence Fanny? Do you not subscribe to the interpretation of the bible that reads that God gave man dominion over the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sparkfire

The Catholic Church seems to believe that alien life is possible, and that this would not contradict belief in God.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7399661.stm

In what way do you view it as an extaordinary coincidence Fanny? Do you not subscribe to the interpretation of the bible that reads that God gave man dominion over the world?

I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing connection between our evolutionary progress and the reference to dominion that you mentioned (perhaps Gen 1:26?). Can you elaborate?

I thought you meant man being the dominant species by your use of the phrase "chief bottle washer", so I was just surprised to hear you describe it as a coincidence. i.e if God made it happen then there would be no coincidence to speak of. I take it that's not what you meant.

Edit: Just in relation to your reference of "our evolutuionary progress", can I take it that you don't believe man (and other animals) were created as we see them today?

To paraphrase President Clinton, define "dominant species". The late biologist Stephen J. Gould reckon that honourable title should go to bacteria, which dominant the biomass of Earth and are in nearly every eco-system.

• Advertisement

I completely agree with you but seeing as I'm posting in the Christian forum I'm working off the implied biblical definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Check out Joel Levines compelling argument about the need to go back to mars.. http://www.ted.com/talks/joel_levine.html

Back to Mars? :confused:

I thought you meant man being the dominant species by your use of the phrase "chief bottle washer", so I was just surprised to hear you describe it as a coincidence. i.e if God made it happen then there would be no coincidence to speak of. I take it that's not what you meant.

Well, I was talking to an atheist about intelligent life on other planets, so I don't necessarily see the need to posit God's hand as the deterministic factor in intelligent life arising elsewhere. Of course, I'm not completely removing God from the equation, but perhaps God is happy to let certain things happen by themselves. I do want to stress that I am in no way attempting to push God out to the far reaches of the universe in order to paint him as a Deistic God.
    Edit: Just in relation to your reference of "our evolutuionary progress", can I take it that you don't believe man (and other animals) were created as we see them today?

I accept evolution, and that through this process he gave life the ability to make itself. With regards to humans, assuming God wanted a certain outcome (and I don't necessarily believe that we had to take this physical form), I have no problem with believing that he stirred the primordial goo or whatever and thus brought about certain desired ends. As for Genesis, to me it reads as a mix between poetry and elevated prose, not the blow by blow account of creation that both creationists and some atheists wish it to be. But the thread that dares not speak its name is for such discussions.

Consider the following:

The universe is something like 14 billion years old according to the standard model right? How long before the universe got to the stage were stars and galaxies could form? Few billion years of so? And then when planets could form around those stars? A couple more billion years or so? And then when basic life could come about on the planets that could support it?

According to accepted geologic theory which fits neatly into the standard model, the earth is over 4 billion years old, but it could only have been able to support basic life in the last 3 billion years or so due to its molten state for the first billion years or so of development. So what are the chances of life just happening to appear (as astonishingly unlikely as that is at any time) on the earth just at the time in earth's history when the earth became able to support it?

Just because earth became life permitting at some stage early in its history doesn't mean that it came about for that purpose. And then throw in the fact that it all happened in an unguided process just adds to the astonishing unlikeliness of it all.

If that is the way it all happened then wow. And then to have gotten to a state where beings like us today, who, like stars and planets themselves, are made up of the matter of the universe, to have evolved from such humble beginnings to where we are now, aware of our surroundings and the universe, can only mean one thing - the universe is becoming aware of itself.

Consider the following:

The universe is something like 14 billion years old according to the standard model right? How long before the universe got to the stage were stars and galaxies could form? Few billion years of so? And then when planets could form around those stars? A couple more billion years or so? And then when basic life could come about on the planets that could support it?

According to accepted geologic theory which fits neatly into the standard model, the earth is over 4 billion years old, but it could only have been able to support basic life in the last 3 billion years or so due to its molten state for the first billion years or so of development.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Consider the following:

According to accepted geologic theory which fits neatly into the standard model, the earth is over 4 billion years old, but it could only have been able to support basic life in the last 3 billion years or so due to its molten state for the first billion years or so of development. So what are the chances of life just happening to appear (as astonishingly unlikely as that is at any time) on the earth just at the time in earth's history when the earth became able to support it?

3 billion years is a very very very long time (not quibbling about it not being exactly 3 billion it'll do). I mean that's about a quarter of the age of the universe, the most ancient of all things.

If life had the entire age of the universe to evolve instead of 1/4 of it would that help a whole lot?

EDIT: I said I wasn't going to fuss about it, but at 3.8 billion since prokaryotes that much closer to 4 than 3.

I mentioned one large random event - a very large asteroid hitting a planet. But if you don't like this one or any number of rare natural disasters that might strike, I still think it reasonable to suggest that limiting factors like resource availability, for example, would present in all scenarios. I think our ascendency to position of chief bottle washer was an extraordinary coincidence and one not likely to be repeated.

I would tend to disagree with that.

While the sample set is obviously too small to make any definite conclusions, the Earth has experienced all manner of cataclysmic events that did not extinguish life completely.

Aside from a star exploding it is hard to imagine the Earth got off lightly, yet life survived.

Given this it then becomes an issue of is there enough time for intelligent life to evolve in between cataclysmic events, and again taking the Earth as an example, this would seem to be the case. I don't think the Earth is particularly unusual in this regard, I don't think we have significantly less chance of these events than any other planet.

As for resources, the building blocks for life, oxygen and carbon, are abundant throughout the universe being the 3rd and 4th most found elements.

Anyway, a bit like the fine tuned argument, it is some what difficult to draw much from looking only at Earth. We really need another planet with life to compare with before we can get any proper idea of how unique or non-unique Earth is. But I certainly wouldn't be as skeptical about other intelligent life

Consider the following:

That is some what of a redundant question. Life appearing on Earth wasn't a separate event to the Earth becoming capable of supporting life.

Life appeared on Earth because the Earth was capable of supporting life. It was a natural conclusion.

It is like leaving your tea out for a week and marvelling that mold started to grow on it after 2 days, exactly at the time when your stale tea was capable of supporting mold. What a coincidence, how did the mold know! :D
    Just because earth became life permitting at some stage early in its history doesn't mean that it came about for that purpose.
    Purpose?
    And then throw in the fact that it all happened in an unguided process just adds to the astonishing unlikeliness of it all.

Not really. It is an inevitability given certain parameters, parameters which we keep widening as we find life living in more and more extreme environments.

The more we learn about life the less extraordinary it is. We are finding life in every crack of the Earth, every heat vent or underwater cave. Biologists all the time are re-evaluating the parameters which they used to think life could survive in.

That is some what of a redundant question. Life appearing on Earth wasn't a separate event to the Earth becoming capable of supporting life.

As we don't yet know how life got started on earth that is a bit if leap to make don't you agree? Earth becoming able to support life and life appearing on the earth are - as far know - completely different events and as far as we know totally unrelated.
    Life appeared on Earth because the Earth was capable of supporting life. It was a natural conclusion.

Again that is mere conjecture.
    It is like leaving your tea out for a week and marvelling that mold started to grow on it after 2 days, exactly at the time when your stale tea was capable of supporting mold. What a coincidence, how did the mold know! :D

Again you're assuming that one of the theories explaining how life got started is true and yet we have no definitive proof that this is the case. But assuming that is how it happened then life as we know it should have evolved on many other earth like planets orbiting sun like stars all over the universe and considering the age of the universe and the number of such earth like environments in it, life evolving in this way would have happened trillions of times.
    Purpose?

Yes. If it all happened the way you say then it seems that the whole point of earth's development was to support life. Apart from that, what else does it do? Or if supporting life is merely coincidental in the earth's history like wilder-beast supporting flees then all we are is an accidental/coincidental byproduct of the universe's development.
    Not really. It is an inevitability given certain parameters, parameters which we keep widening as we find life living in more and more extreme environments.

The more we learn about life the less extraordinary it is. We are finding life in every crack of the Earth, every heat vent or underwater cave. Biologists all the time are re-evaluating the parameters which they used to think life could survive in.

But that's the thing, if life is so robust and its appearing on earth-like-planets so natural, then why does all life we see on planet earth today have the same common origin in the very first simplest arrangement of molecules that luckily happened to take place long enough ago to have enough time to have evolved into us today? Why don't we have many many many different springs of life producing molecule arrangements like this all over the planet if what you say about life appearing is as natural as mold on a stale cup of tea is true? Why is it only once that this just happened to occur? And just at the time in earth's history when the earth just happened to get to the stage where it had the potential to become a life supporting planet? It has been a life supporting planet for the last 3 billion years and yet this ever so natural process only ever happened once. Is it just me or does this seem a bit odd?

• Advertisement

As Wicknight points out life is everywhere on this planet. However there are simple celled life with no complexity. The Earth through geological time has endured frozen snowball phases to nearly boiling oceans phases and this type of simple celled life prospered. However it is the dynamics of a changing environment which drives evolutionary adaption. Without change, in a static environment, the afaik "Stromolites" (a hive of single-celled organisms) would be the most complex life form. With ongoing catastropic change, there is a highly dynamic environment but complex life gets hammered into extinction. So the Earth seems to have struck a rare balance in the creation of complex life-forms.

Advertisement