Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any quick fixes for Windows problems such as missing DLLs etc?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Lads forgive me if this seems like an incredibly vague query, but I thought I'd just ask to see if I could be pointed in the direction of a few handy steps/utilities.

Basically we have a big list of clients of whom we could call out to on a regular basis if there are hardware issues. We provide our own bespoke retail management software to these sites and their backoffice pc's and till units are all windows based (90%+ would be XP).

We have remote access set up with any of our clients who have a BB connection on site. Every now and then we'll come across issues where there are recurring windows error messages, which more often than not lead us to putting in replacement hardware and a second callout would then be required (we have clients in all corners of the country).

My question is......for seemingly generic windows problems (including the likes of missing DLLs etc), is there any utilities you'd recommend running? Or steps that should be taken? I've found the MS Recovery Console to be very hit and miss, and more miss than anything. If we were to bring a USB powered CD drive to each site (many till units would not have an internal drive), would there be anything in particular you would recommend to run?

I've used the likes of ComboFix and MalwareBytes in some instances and they have fixed some issues from time to time, but is there anything else out there I should be considering?

Apologies again for not being more specific in the post, but just thought I'd pick your collective brains. Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Without a doubt to begin with also, Tuneup Utilities 2010. Great tool.
    Also a subscription to a good quality net service like www.driveragent.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I can sympathise with you on this one. DLL errors can be a right pain. Sometimes the easiest but not the nicest solution is to reinstall. Of course this is a bit of a cop out as it is solving the problem but not really fixing it i.e if it happens again your back to square one.

What springs to mind - perhaps running sfc /scannow or repair install from XP CD
    Also there are DLL download sites if you know the name of the DLL in question.
    There is also system restore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

What springs to mind - perhaps running sfc /scannow

Was just about to suggest that. Iirc it needs a slipstreamed XP disc with same service pack as on the pc though, which can be a pain

Advertisement