Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Titanic today

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

Imagine the Titanic sunk today. You were on it, a healthy male. Not enough lifeboats for everybody.

Random women push in front of you expecting to be granted priority.

Now I am all for children getting on the lifeboats first but would you let a random woman ahead of you?

After years and years and years of some women giving me grief if I open a door for them/offer to carry their stuff "I'm able to do it myself, you know" or giving me grief for helping them at work "Yes, I know what to do, I'm not dumb, you know" or giving me grief if I offer to pay for something "You do know, I probably earn more than you, don't you?" I'm not so sure what I'd do.

Some women are more than happy if I open a door for them, carry their stuff, buy them dinner/drinks (and these can be even worse and more hypocritical than the ones who growl at any help/offers if they espouse the feminist "sisters are doing it for themselves" mantra while reaping the benefits of male aid wherever appropriate for their needs).

Anyway to boil it all down, in light of my recent experiences and how a lot of women now almost instantly want to proclaim to me how independent, empowered and as capable as any man they are then No I wouldn't give up my seat for them.

Comments

I'm a modern, equal opportunities man. Back o' the line ma'am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They want to be able to vote, drive, drink etc then they are equal to us so therefore "GET THE FÚCK OUT OF MY WAY BITCH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Eh, I'm just for having enough life boats for everybody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

and you see...women can hardly complain if men asserted their equal right to go for the lifeboats, although I'm sure a lot of them would.

It's called having their cake and eating it, if you are all about equality then don't just cherrypick the parts that benefit you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Reading the title I thought it was about this BBC report from yesterday.
    Advertisement

Alex Evans received an unlikely phone call from his friend, saying the boat he was on - called the Titanic - was sinking.

Mark Corbett was 4,000 miles away in the Caribbean when his ship started taking on water.

Using the ship's sat-phone, he called the only number he knew, that of his friend Alex, who just happened to be a lifeboat volunteer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

My girls (and any future kids) would be pushed on in front of me

Other than that; "sorry lady, I have my family to look after. Out of my way"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't see why gentlemanly ways should be abandoned simply because the efforts are not always appreciated. Any family of mine would get priority in my mind, then women and children of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

I don't see why gentlemanly ways should be abandoned simply because the efforts are not always appreciated. Any family of mine would get priority in my mind, then women and children of others.
    So a gentlemanly way of doing things is to give up your life for somebody else of the opposite sex even though we're all supposed to be equal. Who said society was set up to help men past and present?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Meh, I'm a modern man so a random woman gets no extra priority than a random man. Sure I'd probably let other kids on aswell as any pregnant women before jumping in but other than that I wouldnt be giving up my spot unless theres a damn good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its a pointless question. You are all Irish and would be in steerage anyway.

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »
    Meh, I'm a modern man so a random woman gets no extra priority than a random man. Sure I'd probably let other kids on aswell as any pregnant women before jumping in but other than that I wouldnt be giving up my spot unless theres a damn good reason.
    A problem is that the choice might be taken away from us by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

iptba wrote: »
    A problem is that the choice might be taken away from us by other people.
    Well they'd bloody well better be prepared for a fight to the death since realistically thats what it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am a feminist. Excuse me ladies , the lads went down with the ship last time and now its your turn. Fair is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is taken from my post in the discrimination against men thread

Could Feminism’s AgitProp Gender Politics, designed to suborn women, have changed men’s attitudes so that men now see men and women as just people? Have feminists pushed women off the pedestal? Perhaps they have opened men’s eyes to an historical Confidence trick. Is this a good condition for our society?

According to a recent poll, many fewer men would give up their seat in a lifeboat to a woman today, quite a difference from the 1912 Titanic disaster where mostly women were saved. Even more than children. In a riot, disaster or war, will it mean every man and women for themselves?.

We are now equal so i see it as every man and woman for themselves

But then you would have people who were not part of the diaster complain like this

New York City, the Twin Tower Bombings: in the panic to get out of the buildings, some women reported of being shoved out of elevators by men. One or two of the 300 odd firemen who died in the inferno perhaps? Was it the actual the case that women were pushed out? Maybe it was just a whine from a woman or two who broke a heel. But men were criticized, in a tragedy.

and this when men don't help

On the radio in the UK, a lost child, a little girl, is reported as found wandering the aisles of a ‘businessman’s ‘ train from Glasgow. Women phone in condemning men on the train for not ‘helping’ the child. Their tone is heated, bordering on calls for lynching. The many business-women passengers who did not help are not mentioned.

A small girl wanders from a kindergarten in England; she drowns in a pond. A man-hunt looks for a van seen in the area. The man is found and cleared but is vilified for not stopping to help a wandering child. He says, “I was afraid to talk to a strange child and be accused of being a paedophile”.

We can't win in their eyes so why help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any of my family before me. After that I am fighting to get on a lifeboat regardless of your gender. It shouldn't be any other way imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Its ok i buaght a inflatable dingy

Teferi wrote: »
    Any of my family before me. After that I am fighting to get on a lifeboat regardless of your gender. It shouldn't be any other way imo.
    Well, I'd be inclined that if it's a man and woman, they should toss for it (generally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Well, I'd be inclined that if it's a man and woman, they should toss for it (generally).

What? He tosses her off the ship and gets on the lifeboat himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

What? He tosses her off the ship and gets on the lifeboat himself?

I look at it differently - i have two teenage kids (and a lizard) now while I would look at it from the point of self preservation I also have a responsibility for my kids. Giving up my seat is not going to bring them up and discharge my family responsibilities.

So 19th century attitudes about the fairer sex and all that are out of date. I cant imagine anyone discharging my responsibilities and dont imagine that dying by drowning would be any easier,less distressing or less painful for me than it would be for a woman.

So I wouldnt buy in to the chivalry for those reasons as our situations would be virtually identical and the downside equal.

@norrie you nare a visionary as it would be quicker and less painful for her and she would have kept the joy of potential rescue until just before the end.

Advertisement