Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance for Young Drivers

Options
  • 08-04-2010 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

Just saw an article there from the AA saying that the average Insurance price paid for drivers between the age of 17 and 25 is €2,400.

Just to show people it is worth shopping around.
    I'm a 23 year old driver and I pay €660 a year on a 1.3 liter car with Axa direct on their student first policy. Plus they reduce your premiums every 3 months to account for your how long you've been driving with out any claims. Think when I first started driving 2 years ago my initial premium was 1,200 on a provisional. I'm also the only person insured on this car.

Might be worth checking out Hibernian as well, I've a friend insured on them who said he's not paying too much either.

Compare Car Insurance Quotes chill.jpg€1,674 nononsense.gif€1,797 quinndirect.gif€2,775 123.jpgDeclined to Quote
    Quotes taken from insures websites on 31st March 2010, based on Third Party Fire & Theft Cover for a male aged 23, living in Dublin driving a 2000 Honda Civic 1.4L Car.
    Get Quote Now
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Are you on a full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

yea, was paying €880 on provisional but passed my test a couple of weeks ago and said this to them so they reduced my premium to €660.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

fergm wrote: »
    Just saw an article there from the AA saying that
    Might be worth checking out Hibernian as well, I've a friend insured on them who said he's not paying too much either.

Ha there's a joke, I'm paying €480 fully comp with AXA I'm 22 male full licence 4 years with 4 year ncb on a 1.4 car..................Hibernian wanted €2700 and I'v done their ignition test it's like they don't want any business or something. Having said that my mother uses them and her renewal was €120 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

They quoted me 1300 euro. Whereas no nonsense have quoted me 900. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You always need to compare like with like. Not all Insurance policies are the same.

Basically you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭T.C.

@Berty: Most of the time I would agree with you, but car insurance seems to be almost a random thing. In my experience the quotations do vary wildly for (almost) the same sort of policy.

Can I make a suggestion to younger guys? Consider having a fully qualified driver as a named driver on your policy (You as the policy holder, but someone else as "additional driver"). In a lot of cases it brings down the premium because it spreads the risk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

Axa just quoted me e1890 for a 23 year old driver, full license, 1 year nc driving a 1.2 Fiat Punto. RIP OFF! Thats almost double everywhere else I've checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

baldshin wrote: »
    Axa just quoted me e1890 for a 23 year old driver, full license, 1 year nc driving a 1.2 Fiat Punto. RIP OFF! Thats almost double everywhere else I've checked!

Just got quoted €332 from Axa
    -female
    -24yrs
    -6yrs no claims
    -96 Punto 1.1
    -Full Irish for 4yrs

Lads ye just need to shop around, spent the morning checking myself renewal in a month. With Quinn my renewal went up this yr so I'll be changing eventhough I've used them up to now.

Got quotes from 310 to 465 this morning! Shop around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hi. It is definately worth shopping around. We carried out a recent survey where we found consumers can still save an average of €165 by shopping around despite the rising cost of insurance premiums. We also have a great young driver product which is worth checking out through our site or our Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Hi. It is definately worth shopping around. We carried out a recent survey where we found consumers can still save an average of €165 by shopping around despite the rising cost of insurance premiums. We also have a great young driver product which is worth checking out through our site or our Facebook page

Do i have to ring up to get the 'great young driver product' as online the quote I got was double Quinn Directs quote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

Jemmy wrote: »
    With Quinn my renewal went up this yr so I'll be changing eventhough I've used them up to now.

Thats strange, my renewal quote from Quinn was half what I paid last year!

Well it was 365 I think can't remember exactly but it's gone up to 416, no reason to either nothing has changed!

How long you driving?

Last year was my lowest in the 6yrs, went from 2500 > 1500 > 1000 > 750 > 500 > 365! But all on my own policy, never been a named driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

they will say that their levys or some such has increased for all insurance products.
    My house ins, car etc all went up. shopped around though and still saved money, but that is the excuse they will come up with. Dunno how though because your additional NCB would at least cancel out any increase, so at the worst is should stay the same, not increase. Think they are using it as an excuse (whats new!):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Hi All, Indeed insurance premiums have increased in the past year due to the fact that there has been an increase in the number of claims. Again, it does pay to shop around. For some tips on saving on your car insurance check out our blog post. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Berty wrote: »
    You always need to compare like with like. Not all Insurance policies are the same.

Basically you get what you pay for.
    This definitely isn't true.
    You pay for what you don't get if you don't shop around - higher prices bear little or no relation to the level of cover

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Jemmy wrote: »

Lads ye just need to shop around, spent the morning checking myself renewal in a month. With Quinn my renewal went up this yr so I'll be changing eventhough I've used them up to now.

Got quotes from 310 to 465 this morning! Shop around!

My brother's renewal with Quinn went up aswell & when he talked to them he said it was too much & he was surprised it went up.. he said he was going to look around for cheaper & probably wouldn't be renewing with them...they came down in price straight away...about 100euro less than what he was originally paying. A friend (on a provisional) was offered about 500 euro less than originally quoted after she told them she was offered cheaper elsewhere. Axa also offered to come down in price for her too.
    Pit them against eachother...it's worth a try:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ryaner_K

Cheers for all the tips guys

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

Most may know this but if you book 10 lessons with the Aviva driving , you get 6 months free accompanied insurance, which is the catch . Still tho 10 lessons and 6 months insurance for ?400 :cool:

greenie wrote: »
    My brother's renewal with Quinn went up aswell & when he talked to them he said it was too much & he was surprised it went up.. he said he was going to look around for cheaper & probably wouldn't be renewing with them...they came down in price straight away...about 100euro less than what he was originally paying. A friend (on a provisional) was offered about 500 euro less than originally quoted after she told them she was offered cheaper elsewhere. Axa also offered to come down in price for her too.
    Pit them against eachother...it's worth a try:)

Oh I know, I've done this myself last year with them and plan to again. If they want my mney they will have to drop about 75-100 though got much cheaper prices with same cover and add-ons.

I'm not what would be considered a young driver any more (:() But I have been with Eagle Star (Zurich) since I began driving and noone else has ever come close to matching their prices. Although my premium did go up in my last renewal and the girl I spoke to genuinely did seem to try everything to, it down but it was still cheaper than anyone else out there.

28 yo, Driving 5.5 years, 5 years NCB (plus 6 months named driver), 5 years full license. Volvo S60 (2litre). €360.

Axa wouldn't even quote me on that car as I'm under 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Premium Total: €3373.08
    €3373.08
    (Including Government Levy of 3%)
    OPEL, ASTRA 1.4 16V DESIGN, 1364cc, Petrol, 2008

^^AXA

18yrs old, no previous experience, provisional, seems quite pricy to me (third party insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Kevin, try insure.ie. They do policies with Asgard for first time insurance. I think I paid 1600 on a 1.4 focus tpft with them and they were by far the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

Kevin! wrote: »
    Premium Total: €3373.08
    €3373.08
    (Including Government Levy of 3%)
    OPEL, ASTRA 1.4 16V DESIGN, 1364cc, Petrol, 2008

^^AXA

18yrs old, no previous experience, provisional, seems quite pricy to me (third party insurance)

If your a student or still in school ring them and ask them about their student first policy. I started on about €1200 on a provisional with it, worth a phone call to ask anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Kevvv wrote: »
    Most may know this but if you book 10 lessons with the Aviva driving , you get 6 months free accompanied insurance, which is the catch . Still tho 10 lessons and 6 months insurance for ?400 :cool:

Have you got a link for that? All I saw on aviva site was a discount on the policy after taking lessons with them. The gf wants to learn and this would be ideal to get her going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

hi conor, just out of interest will chill quote jap imports with uprated thatcham 1 security?? Myself and my partner are coming close to renewal, both driving japanese imports , both full licences and 4years or more NCB each currently with our own policies with both being named on each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I'm not what would be considered a young driver any more (:() But I have been with Eagle Star (Zurich) since I began driving and noone else has ever come close to matching their prices. Although my premium did go up in my last renewal and the girl I spoke to genuinely did seem to try everything to, it down but it was still cheaper than anyone else out there.

28 yo, Driving 5.5 years, 5 years NCB (plus 6 months named driver), 5 years full license. Volvo S60 (2litre). €360.

Axa wouldn't even quote me on that car as I'm under 30.
    Funny, I'm 26 and Axa have just insured me on a 3 litre, v6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Im 23
    Paying just over €700 on a 2 litre v6 mivec mitsubishi fto:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Btw, is it true that, for drivers on a provisional, the insurance is void if you don't have a fully licenced driver with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

blue-army wrote: »
    Btw, is it true that, for drivers on a provisional, the insurance is void if you don't have a fully licenced driver with you?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

NTMK wrote: »
    Yep

Not true, You will be covered by your insurance company but you can get into trouble with the gardai:eek:

Advertisement