Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pile of pants

Options
  • 08-04-2010 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

This has been bugging me all night, I need your opinions please.
    So I'm playing a freeze out last night. Blinds at 400/800, raise 1600 I call with QsKs, another on the BB calls. Flop, 5h Qh 3d. Initial raiser raises to 2200, (I put him on AK) so i re-raise 5400 to see where I'm at and to stomp out a flush draw. BB folds, the other guy calls after a while. Next card is 9h, he bets 5000, so I'm thinking he didn't have the flush at this stage, I flat call. Next card out is another heart... He decides to put me all in, I fold with only 5.9k chips left.
    Now he decides to show 37 diamonds and then him and his friends start taking the piss outta me for not calling for pot odds. I told him it was a great play and he did well, but I felt like crap inside really :P
    Himself and his friends carry on calling me a donkey etc for over 10 mins. At this stage even the Dealer joins in!! (Which I felt was disgraceful!)
    Next hand I go all in on the flop with AhJh (I pair my ace), my caller hits runner runner trips... (He had no pair or draw on the flop, but raised to half my stack)
    So I get up and wish everyone the best, while quietly steaming my pant off.

Couple of quick facts.
    - Himself and his friends never made a final table (That I can remember)
    - One of the guys bust out first hand and re-bought only to bust out next hand e50 down the drain (This is consistent in every game I've seen him play in)
    - That night we were supposed to play final 9 in the league for a ticket to the Waterford masters, NONE of the people involved were on the table, I WAS.

Now, in your opinion, would you have folded? And how could he justify the call of my re-raise on the flop?
    Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The dealer was out of order for a start.

Something similar happened to me a while back. Was up against this guy who was "one of the pros around here" as one guy put it. Had the beating of him all night and we were both at the final table. I had K,J or something, paired my King on the flop. By the River there were 4 clubs on Board and he made a big bet.

I lay it down and he shows the Ace High bluff. His mate kept saying "Oh, how could you fold there?Pot Odds blah blah." Which of course he was correct. I didnt get annoyed about it. The "Pro" decided to try to taunt me then afterwards.

However, i had the last laugh when i slow played a set of Aces and knocked both clowns out on the same hand. Was very sweet!

Won the tournie too which was sweeter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Lol @ the Pot odds gang, basically means they have read a few articles about poker and think they have half a notion and you can garauntee they can be found making hero calls on the flop with second pair and hitting their miracle trips on the turn or river then justifying it with "i had the odds"*. At the end of the day who gives a fook what anybody thinks of your play as you put up the dough so your only mistake is not telling them to go f*ck themselves and mind their own business.

Also the dealer is out of line here.

*For "i had the odds" translate to "im feelng lucky...fistpump"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Now I'm only a mediocre amateur player (at best) but that sort of taunting would even be out of line around my friend's house playing a game. And we slag each other about everything!

Seriously the dealer should never join in on something like that and the guy sounds like a complete douchebag.

Sure if he thinks you made a bad play then laugh about it with his friends after if he wants but at the table makes him seem like a petty amateur (I know I am one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lets get this straight. By my calculations you had 18500 before the hand started and after the turn you had 12600 already in the pot (5900 back).
    Basically you should have been all in or folded on the turn if not sooner. You cannot call 5000 on the turn and leave 5900 back in this spot. The only reason to call on the turn is if you are trying to induce a river bluff and are going to call regardless of what comes out.
    Basically you butchered this hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lacoona

Ok thanks! I did actually reach for all my chips on the turn, I really don't know why I didn't follow through with it tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lets get this straight. By my calculations you had 18500 before the hand started and after the turn you had 12600 already in the pot (5900 back).
    Basically you should have been all in or folded on the turn if not sooner. You cannot call 5000 on the turn and leave 5900 back in this spot. The only reason to call on the turn is if you are trying to induce a river bluff and are going to call regardless of what comes out.
    Basically you butchered this hand.

Well said, when he leads with the donk bet on the turn there are only 2 options. All in or fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

raise to 2000 preflop
    you played the flop well but you are not raising to see where you are you are raising because you believe your hand is best and want to get value from a worse hand.
    all in on the turn
    snap call on the river

dealer was out of order but dont worry about the taunting it is a small part of the game. dont kill yourself trying to understand how a dope thinks - he is LOL'ing at you but hes the one that went all in with bottom pair when you really couldn't fold

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

Lacoona wrote: »
    This has been bugging me all night, I need your opinions please.
    So I'm playing a freeze out last night. Blinds at 400/800, raise 1600 I call with QsKs, another on the BB calls. Flop, 5h Qh 3d. Initial raiser raises to 2200, (I put him on AK) so i re-raise 5400 to see where I'm at and to stomp out a flush draw. BB folds, the other guy calls after a while. Next card is 9h, he bets 5000, so I'm thinking he didn't have the flush at this stage, I flat call. Next card out is another heart... He decides to put me all in, I fold with only 5.9k chips left.
    Now he decides to show 37 diamonds and then him and his friends start taking the piss outta me for not calling for pot odds. I told him it was a great play and he did well, but I felt like crap inside really :P
    Himself and his friends carry on calling me a donkey etc for over 10 mins. At this stage even the Dealer joins in!! (Which I felt was disgraceful!)
    Next hand I go all in on the flop with AhJh (I pair my ace), my caller hits runner runner trips... (He had no pair or draw on the flop, but raised to half my stack)
    So I get up and wish everyone the best, while quietly steaming my pant off.

Couple of quick facts.
    - Himself and his friends never made a final table (That I can remember)
    - One of the guys bust out first hand and re-bought only to bust out next hand e50 down the drain (This is consistent in every game I've seen him play in)
    - That night we were supposed to play final 9 in the league for a ticket to the Waterford masters, NONE of the people involved were on the table, I WAS.

Now, in your opinion, would you have folded? And how could he justify the call of my re-raise on the flop?
    Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

These words ring alarms in my ears for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lacoona

first person out could rebuy a dead stack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kebabfest

If you put him on a flush draw you gotta reraise allin on the turn.
    Flat calling the turn is only ok if you're gonna call any bet on the river as a bluff catcher.
    The abuse is completely out of order by the dealer. I would be having a few words with him. The best way to shut up the other kunts is to agree with them and this will generally confuse them into shutting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

bubbleking wrote: »
    raise to 2000 preflop

How could he raise to 2000 when it was already raised to 1600?

I think OP, I would be either pushing or folding the turn. As played, i don't think it's a bad fold on the river but to get there without the chips in the middle is not good.

Also, you are not going to stomp out a flush draw by raising 2200 to 5400.

Advertisement