Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing one front tyre - safe?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Noticed a small vibration when driving for the past day or so - turns out there is a bulge in side wall of one of my front tyres (runflats). Both fronts are probably between 2/3 and 3/4 worn so I would be changing them relatively soon. Is it safe to just change one of the tyres and not the other or am I better off to bite the bullet and replace both?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Best practice is to replace both, at least ensure you get the exact same model if you're not replacing both - different tread patterns can have unusual consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Armadillo444

If you get a perfect match for the current brand and put in on the passenger side you should be OK otherwise replace both

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It depends.

If you have a high performance front/four wheel drive car that you drive at high speeds or long distances then I'd say replace both at the same time.

If you only pootle about in a 1 litre runabout then it would be okish.

Mind you, if one has developed a fault, the other can only be a short while behind. Change them both. Cheaper than plastic surgery.

WildeFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Well I certainly don't pootle about in a 1 litre so I think better safe than sorry.

Cheers for the advice all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Armadillo444

You will not get the same quality tyre as on a new car so only replace whatever is required, If it is a bmw hold onto the good tyres taken off as you may be able to use it in the future (Definetly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,041 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you are only replacing two tyres, put the new ones on the rear.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You will not get the same quality tyre as on a new car so only replace whatever is required, If it is a bmw hold onto the good tyres taken off as you may be able to use it in the future (Definetly)

WHAT?
    The OP will get whatever quality he decides to pay for. Tyres should always be replaced in pairs IMO.

Advertisement