Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2003 Automatically resizing fonts in replies, the *&$%

Options
  • 07-04-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭

Have trawled both the interwebs and Outlook's help files and am getting nowhere because Microsoft Outlook "MVP"'s are spamming the place with "change your zoom settings" responses.

Basically, for each reply to a message, the font size is automatically increased by a given percentage. So the initial message font size is 10pt, then after 5 or six replies when you scroll down it is now about 50pt. Unreadable, and I can't print them out.

Things that MVP's think is wrong that I have ruled out:
    "zoom settings" : Not using 2007 and not using Word as the email editor. No "zoom setting" is even available.

Stationary : No stationary is set up on the machine at all (work machine, can't be changed anyway).

HTML format: Was using Rich text, changing formats doesn't help and in any case can't use Plain text due to the company email signature.

Font sizes: Changing the font size for messages has no effect - it only affects your current reply. Once somebody responds, then the same +fontsize thing occurs. When I reply to them, their part of the message is +fontsized too.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

are there any macros locally or on the thingy on the mail server that adds on the disclaimer message ?

you could try stationary if your company allows it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

assuming the obvious: detect & repair / reinstall / removal & reinstall haven't worked;
    1. is it just on the one PC?
    2. have you tried 'with' word as the editor?
    3. does it do it even in plain text only settings? or just rich text, or HTML?
    4. does it persist if you create a new mail profile?
    5. does it persist with a new user profile?
    I've got this nagging itch in my brain that's telling me i've had this before, but i can't for the life of me remember the details.. 362 zoom should be there, ctrl + scroll!? which version you got btw?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

word as the editor , one of the first things I turn off

if you do use word then check it for macros / backup and delete normal.dot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's not zoom settings, it's definitely not Word as the email editor, and it's not any kind of stationary or macro - it's a company system that's heavily locked down.

What's happening is this:

I write this

A response comes in
    This is how big what I wrote is

I respond

A second response comes in
    My response is now this size
    The first response is now this size
    The original message is now this size

I've no idea what's going on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

does outlook still use the normal.dot even though it's not using word as an editor?

so, word is not the editor, does it happen in plain text mode too? i'm gonna guess it's some sort of corruption in the way rich text or html is being generated or formatted, a safe bet if it's not happening in plain text mode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement