Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading an Apple Powerbook G4 (c. 7 years Old0

Options
  • 07-04-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Helping a colleague upgrade an old Mac Powerbook G4 to run the Leopard OS (Currently on Tiger OS). It doesn't seem to have the specs to run Leopard. What are the options for upgrading this machine. Specs below:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"

Machine Model: PowerBook6,8

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.0f0

Serial Number: (have it if it makes a difference)

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Version: 1.0

Can it be brought up to spec? One of main uses will be Internet browsing using a broadband dongle which doesn't seem to work well on the Tiger OS.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It'll run Leopard, but not Snow Leopard. Max out the RAM first. It should accept up to 1.25GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Thanks for this. I'm more of a PC person. Where is a good place to buy RAM for this unit, is it easy to fit and where do you buy the OS. I see Snow Leopard on sale on the Apple site from $29. Is this correct?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but as I said it won't run Snow Leopard. Only Leopard.

For RAM I would recommend Crucial.com. I'm hazy on the Powerbooks, but yeah installing it should be easy. Just be conscious of how many slots are already filled (most likely both).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is the common or garden leopard still available? I don't see it on the Apple site.

It seems that there is a little panel that can be removed to install the RAM on the underside. I have to peer in their yet.

BrianD wrote: »
    Is the common or garden leopard still available? I don't see it on the Apple site.
    Yeah, seems Apple don't sell it anymore. Very annoying considering Snow Leopard is only an upgrade license.

Maybe try Ebay?

Pdf of the Powerbook manual here, which includes a guide to installing RAM in chapter 4:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/PowerBookG4_12inch1.5GHzUserGuide.pdf

I assume there is 2x256MB in there already. So I suppose the easiest thing would be to get a 1GB chip to replace one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement