Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Cases of Wine would I fit in a Car?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hello,

Obscure question :)

I'm gonna be travelling up north to collect some wine and want to figure out how many cases I'll get into a car. It's a VW Passat, just a driver (no other passengers) and nothing else in the boot... I don't want to lead the discussion by guessing how many I'd fit in so I'm looking forward to the replies... I'm sure I could get a good estimate by getting out my measuring tape but just wanted to see what the thoughts are here first...

Thanks,
    super_freddie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The biggest issue is more likely to be weight than size. Does your car spec have a defined maximum load?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi,

I looked up the maximum load.

The permissible GVW (gross vehicle weight) is 1870 kg, unladen weight is 1286kg ... so that gives a maximum load of 584kg including passenger(s), fuel, wine etc. The permissible front axle load is 970kg and the permissible back axle load is 990kg ... so not surprisingly the load can be a little larger on the back. Any thoughts on capacity based on that info?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

take out the back seats completely
    . that\ll give you a bit more room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Hi,

I looked up the maximum load.

The permissible GVW (gross vehicle weight) is 1870 kg, unladen weight is 1286kg ... so that gives a maximum load of 584kg including passenger(s), fuel, wine etc. The permissible front axle load is 970kg and the permissible back axle load is 990kg ... so not surprisingly the load can be a little larger on the back. Any thoughts on capacity based on that info?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

It's hard to tie a number down but look at it this way. There is an onus on any driver to have his car loaded safely for a journey. Loading up a car with anything bulky or heavy for a long distance will require that your load needs more to be secure than anything. While cases of drink will be fairly secure, loose bottles/cans won't be and they will spend your trip rattling around; not ideal if your doing 80+ miles of a trip alone for the noise of bottles rattling away. Put some of the smaller crates into the foot spaces and the larger ones onto the seats and pack them tightly as you can. If possible, put any loose bottles in the boot where they are out of the way and less likely to be in your way. IMO it would also be worth bringing a few rolls of brown tape, duck tape or cheap electrical tape to tie loose stuff down.

If you are unlucky and you get pulled over, the PSNI are less lax than the Gardaí about offences; you may need a very good excuse to explain why you have so much drink on board. Granted it's unlikely but still it's to be born in mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You realise there are limits right?
    90 litres Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling)

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Didn't the revenue admit recently that since Duty was paid somewhere in the EU they couldn't stop people bringing in as much stuff as they wanted? I didn't really pay too much attention since its not something I'm able to do atm, but I think it was along those lines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    That's not really a limit, though. That's the point where you have to explain why you're carrying so much booze if you're stopped. If it's for a wedding, having a copy of the wedding invitation on you can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi,

Leaving aside the question about the 90 litre limit, putting this question another way...

Would I be OK from a weight and capacity perspective with 15 cases (i.e. 90 bottles) in a Passat? Considering I would estimate the weight of that to be about 110kg, that's about 17 stone distributed throughout the car, I reckon I should be OK from a weight perspective whatever about capacity?

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Hi,

Would I be OK from a weight and capacity perspective with 15 cases (i.e. 90 bottles) in a Passat? C

no bother at all. I've seen 200 bottles in a vectra, tend to have about 100 bottles in my mazda3 which is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Hi,

Leaving aside the question about the 90 litre limit, putting this question another way...

Would I be OK from a weight and capacity perspective with 15 cases (i.e. 90 bottles) in a Passat? Considering I would estimate the weight of that to be about 110kg, that's about 17 stone distributed throughout the car, I reckon I should be OK from a weight perspective whatever about capacity?

super_freddie.

I've managed 15 cases in a Hyundai Elantra, although I should point out that 15 cases is about 140kg, not 110kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

6 x 75cl bottles in a box weights pretty much on average 8kgs

Most supermarkets stock a lot of offers in 6 case boxes so easier to get a few more in to those awkward spaces.

No idea how many your car will take but do be carefull not to over load it as it could be a costly journey down if you do your suspension in.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

This link has a calculator for the weight of bottles of wine: http://www.booze-cruise.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I used to shop in Calais a lot when I was living in London

My car at the time ( Rover 414 ) carried 22 cases of beer and 6 of wine. ( plus 1 passenger )

Now I wouldn't have like to stop in a hurry , and my headlights looked like search lights .

The limits are ' guide lines ' if you can prove that its for personal use in theory you can bring in as much as you like, so if it's for a wedding have something to prove it .

How active are the customs now between the Republic and NI ?

Are the price differences still that great after the change in duty in both juristrictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The limits are ' guide lines ' if you can prove that its for personal use in theory you can bring in as much as you like, so if it's for a wedding have something to prove it.

They are not guidelines, they are a legal stance. The onus is always on you to prove that any good brought over a border are for personal use so just be sensible with what you buy. Yes there are circumstances where one can bring more but common sense will apply; Customs officers have seen all the tricks so if anything they will outsmart you. 600 crates of Liebsfraumilk, orange Bacardi Breezer or Bishops Finger does not a wedding make and don't claim otherwise :)
    How active are the customs now between the Republic and NI ?

Not very but they often know when and what to stop. If you buy the contents of a Winemark you only make yourself a marked man; the North is adept at spotting people chancing their arms.[/quote]

Yes there are circumstances where one can bring more but common sense will apply; Customs officers have seen all the tricks so if anything they will outsmart you.
    Are the price differences still that great after the change in duty in both juristrictions ?

Yes they generally are but then their cost bases are lower as are wages, taxes and duties. Crucially UK multiples have disgusting economies of scale which makes more difference than anything. Factor in your motoring expenses and time spent/needless shopping etc and the difference begins to close. However the range in most NI Offies is less than a Centra/Spar here so a discerning drinker with taste buds will be found wanting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

some people will bring a *lot* back though.
    taken on my last trip to France, and these lads were far from the most laden.

3958010371_0a45f85230.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Many moons ago, I was on holidays in France with my brother & parents. We brought home ~90 bottles of wine, half a case of champagne and 3 slabs of beer in a car containing 4 people and clothes/possessions for a 3 week holiday. All of that in a VW Passat (not estate either).

With no people, you could get more, but I'd be careful about the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If you're driving a saloon car with no passengers, you should fit 20 cases+ comfortably. I collected 20 cases in a Nissan Almera from a wine warehouse last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

what you can fit in the boot and on the passanger seats will not weigh more than passangers and luggage so fill away but just keep it balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I fit 15 cases into my Renault Clio with no bother. I also get that low, sporty suspension effect (although it moves like a slug)

Advertisement