Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on a Prius??

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wondering what bhp a 2006 Prius has?
    Do they have much flaws?
    Whats there average mpg?
    Do you have to pay tax on them ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

2010 G wrote: »
    Just wondering what bhp a 2006 Prius has?listed at 77bhp in the June 2006 car sales guide
    Do they have much flaws? Never really driven one, not much boot space I believe
    Whats there average mpg? See above, but it probably depends on usage. If you are doing long distance motorway then a Diesel will probably be better. Short trips around town should see better MPG than combustion
    Do you have to pay tax on them ?Presume it's taxed as a 1.5 @ €357 per annum

Thanks

Sensible answer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, here's what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have to bear in mind the electric motor adds power to the engine when accelerating. it'll do 60 in just over 10 seconds and mid range power is good, so comparisons could be made to a petrol engine with about 110-120hp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

I usually use the motorway monday to friday its only a 25 trip do morning and evening.

• Advertisement

unless you're getting some urban driving in there, you won't get the benefit of the hybrid system. a diesel car would probably be better.
    If you specifically need an automatic then that argument gets turned on its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

I was checking about the tax on a 2006 one am I right in saying its €146 annually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    unless you're getting some urban driving in there, you won't get the benefit of the hybrid system. a diesel car would probably be better.
    That's not really true, as the Prius has better aerodynamics than most other cars. Certainly better than a Golf TDiddly anyway.

I think 65mpg on the motorway is probably attainable in the Prius - not too many diesel in the same size class will do much better.

Around town the Prius hammers 7 shades out of most of the opposition in terms of economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Doesn't the Prius come under the minimum tax bracket as its a hybrid and produces the lowest CO2??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

4379496573_c47d533a2b_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Doesn't the Prius come under the minimum tax bracket as its a hybrid and produces the lowest CO2??

New model!!

The tax system changed in 2008!! Pre 2008 it's taxed as a 1.5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

both old and new model Prius's fall into the lowest emissions band.

pre 08 are taxed as 1.5 though.

Personally I never got 65mpg on the open road. you have to do some urban mileage with the motor driving the car to get good combined mpg. In a straight motorway run a diesel would be better. the hybrid motor is only used on the motorway when accellerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2010 G wrote: »
    I was checking about the tax on a 2006 one am I right in saying its €146 annually

Nope, its on the engine size, 1.5 litre so around €420.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement