Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 months pregnant with hen night to go to!

Options
  • 07-04-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Going anon for this one as I know some people on the boards and dont want them finding out im pregnant yet!

I have a hen night coming up, but recently found out I'm pregnant. I will be just over 2 months pregnant at the hen so too early to tell anyone yet.

I know this is a weird question, but just wondering if anyone has any good excuses I can give as to why I wont be drinking.

The group of friends who will be there are all big drinkers (as I was I up to nearly 2 months ago!!). To just say that I dont feel like drinking, will not really cut it as everyone will be suspicious and will automatically guess I'm pregnant, which I dont want them to do.

Anyone had this problem before? I was thinking of using the excuse of "being on antibiotics" for something or other, but not sure what to do. Anyone got any foolproof excuses that they may have used in a similar situation?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

Congratulations! I've never been pregnant but I gave this advice to someone here before because it struck me as a great excuse for pregnant women.

I had a severe kidney infection a while back, was on antibiotics and was told to avoid alcohol and/or sugar so there's most drinks off the menu, and then I also got a yeast infection from the antibiotics so couldn't have yeasty things - namely beer. When I was out with friends and anyone questioned it as soon as I said kidney infection any women just cringed and nodded, and if pushed I told them the rest of it, lots of sympathy!

I drank Diet Sprite or 7up, looks like an alcoholic drink and also fits in with the above rules. :)

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I had to go out with the inlaws on new years eve when I was about two months pregnant and they are also big drinkers.
    I got DP to make sure he bought all my drinks and he bought me 7up all night long but I told everyone it was vodka and 7up. Worked a treat. His brother bought me one but I just conveniently left it somewhere and DP got me 7up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can we please not use code/text speak please, it can make posts very confusing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It doesn't matter what excuse you use really people will guess anyway. The only question is if they're going to call you out on it and make you tell when you're not ready to. Everyone knew I was pregnant before I told them (well I was quite sick in the first trimester) but only one person asked me straight out and it was horrible. Had to lie straight out. When I was telling people I had to have a word with him about it.

If it were me now I'd either tell a couple of trustworthy girls so they can help you with what goawayouttadat did or I'd stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'd stay home and plead illness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

Hey,

If your a beer drinker, go with a non alcoholic beer like Becks.... Worked a treat for me when I hadnt told anyone...and even if you dont like the tast of it, just buy one and keep it in your hand all night.. no one will ever question you if are holding a beer!!
    And if your a Vodka drinker id probably just buy 7ups and tell everyone theres vodka in it... but get ready to put on the "im hammered drunk face" when ever anyone questions you!! :D

~And if all else fails.... Pretend your as sick as a dog as soon as you walk in... and say 'but ill try and drink... then VOILA ! Produce your bottle of becks in a pint glass!! :)

Good luck, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Congrats on your pg! I'm giving this advice based on my experience from my last and this pg where I was exhausted tired around the 8 week mark and having horrible all-day sickness, so a night out would have been a little hellish!

Are you going for dinner and then drinks or just a night out drinking? If it's dinner I would go and have a glass of wine in front of you to sip. No one will really notice if you are drinking it or not. After dinner you can get away with having 7up as the girls said, and some time before 11 (if you even make it this long with the extreme tiredness!) I would probably feign a headache and go home (if the hen is a very good friend I would prob let her in on my little secret). To be honest, as Das Kitty says your friends will probably guess, but may not say anything to you yet. You'll be telling them all in another couple of weeks so you only have to pretend for a short time.

If it's just a night out without dinner then it's a little trickier. I think in that case you will have to pop in and out for a short time giving some excuse for not hanging around.

I was useless at keeping my pg's a secret. I had a private scan done at 6 weeks on my first and all of my family and most of my friends knew by 9 weeks. This time i was a little better at keeping it quiet until 12 weeks but most of my close friends knew earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Spadina's suggestion is the best one. Play it up a bit beforehand, by saying that maybe you can't make it and then that you can, but can't drink! Sipping on the one glass of wine is a good trick too.

Enjoy this time, it's nice for the few weeks when no-one else knows, you can very tired later on of people asking how you are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Say there was an impromptu work night out the previous night, out til 5am, still hungover and can't face the sight of another drink :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus I hate this country.

Just tell them you don't feel like drinking, if they question you tell them to fúck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Tell the girls before hand and tell them not to tell anyone, thats its your little secert, I think that should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Just tell them you don't feel like drinking, if they question you tell them to fúck off.

I totally agree with this!

Its none of their business.......the drinking culture in this country sucks!

So you don't want to drink.....whats the big deal....or rather it shouldn't be!

Your a grown adult.

Congrats on the pregnancy :) You must be sooo excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

tbh, I think it's not so much about people not minding their own business (at least close friends) as about sudden change of habits.
    If you go out every Saturday night and get hammered, friends will understandably think that something's going on.

i didn't tell anyone about my pregnancy until nearly 5 months and it was easy even though I was at several drinking events. I just don't have consistent drinking habits so no one thought anything of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

say ur on antibotics.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah +1 for antibiotics, that's what I was going to suggest, they can't question that..

Congrats btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's got nothing to do with drink culture. It's to do with expectations. If the OP was the kind of person who would occassionally turn up at a night out and not have a drink, then she would get away with this.

However, if she would usually have a drink or two at a social occasion then, "I don't feel like drinking tonight" is a sudden change in behaviour which people will notice.

What annoys me is that people feel they have a right to then pester the person about whether they're pregnant or not instead of letting them come out with it in their own time.

My brothers girlfriend isn't a big drinker and will often drive to the pub and have a few 7-ups. We wouldn't notice even the tiniest bit if she said she wasn't drinking on any particular night.

Antibiotics really is the best one to go for without arousing suspicion. You can even plant the seed a week beforehand by telling one or two close friends how annoyed you are that you're on antibiotics and you won't be able to drink at the hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here, thanks for all the suggestions, that Kidney infection one sounds like a winner! Hopefully that will explain many trips to the loo too, as my sister went through around that time!!

And as for people minding their own business, you are right, people should not question if someone isnt drinking, however me and the girls (one of whom is the hen) always have many many drinks. So really it's about not arousing suspicion rather than someone being "annoyed" with me for not drinking. They would never be annoyed I wasnt drinking! I just dont want them suspecting that I'm pregnant which is why I need a good excuse!

Think i'm going to go for the kidney infection story, cant see how it would fail to be honest!

Oh and thanks for all the congrats, we're over the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Why not just say that you have to drive because you have something on early the next day? Anytime we go out and I don't feel like drinking I do this. Easier than trying to explain that you just don't want a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would use the excuse of driving although I already have to miss her actual wedding due to a family wedding the same day as hers, so dont want it to look like I'm not putting any effort in.

I know this all sounds really strange but believe me, if I could simply say that I dont want to drink I would, but I'm afraid of her nose being put out of joint by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Im in a similar situation. My sisters hen and were going away. I can handle the glass of wine at dinner and getting my own vodka and 7up! at the dancing part but were arriving early so its a boozy lunch too.....i think if i used the antibiotics excuse they would cop it straight away so i was just gonna openly order 7up and said im just pacing myself for later?? plausable???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Im in a similar situation. My sisters hen and were going away. I can handle the glass of wine at dinner and getting my own vodka and 7up! at the dancing part but were arriving early so its a boozy lunch too.....i think if i used the antibiotics excuse they would cop it straight away so i was just gonna openly order 7up and said im just pacing myself for later?? plausable???

Definitely plausible especially in an afternoon situation. Loads of people wouldnt drink during the day if they're going out at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Antibiotics all the way! I was on them AGES about 6 months ago, works a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

FYI most antibiotics won't kill you if you combine them with alcohol, except Flagyl, usually prescribed for a mouth abcess by a dentist before a filling/root canal. I hope this can be of some help.

Advertisement