Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a bit slow for trinity

Options
  • 07-04-2010 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm doing the leaving cert this year and I'm 21, I'm a bit slow this is my 3 time to repeat but I'm in the IOE so things are looking good for me I got 330 in my mocks so if I can bring this up a notch I can gain entry to trinity. My father and his father have attended trinity and done every well.

I'm worried that I wont be able to keep up as you guys use very big words. Looks alone won't get you true. My dad said that if it takes one seven years to get a degree it's worth it once it's from trinity.

Can a slow person survive in trinity with the big boys??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mcdermla

That's bull****, no one is too 'slow' for Trinity, it's the exact same as any other college. The pass rate is 50% though so that might put you off, but in general it has the same standards as other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm doing the leaving cert this year and I'm 21, I'm a bit slow this is my 3 time to repeat but I'm in the IOE so things are looking good for me I got 330 in my mocks so if I can bring this up a notch I can gain entry to trinity. My father and his father have attended trinity and done every well.

I'm worried that I wont be able to keep up as you guys use very big words. Looks alone won't get you true. My dad said that if it takes one seven years to get a degree it's worth it once it's from trinity.

Odd thread considering where you've been poting before.

With points around 330 you'll probably be fairly limited in what you can study in Trinity, not many (any?) fall below the 400 mark. So if you choose Trinity above all else, you won't be choosing the course which you'll be studying, which is a recipe for disaster. Pick an area of study to further your education in, rather than a specific third level institution.

Perhaps you might even consider looking at some courses in the Polytechinc in Stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Might I suggest Griffith College*?

Just as many wánkers, just slower ones. :p

*Obviously because you live in Blackrock, you could pay the fees......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Say you are muslim OP. They will roll out the red carpet for you and give you free accommodation. They will even throw money at you to fund your Muslim soc.

"So what do you guys actually do with that big fat CSC grant, funded by the students?"

".....Mulslim stuff"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As you obviously don't need a degree to live off, then persevering until you achieve one is in fact a very noble ideal.

Basic college BA degrees are not too much more than good leaving certs. You are left to study on your own and no one will be pushing you like in the typical secondary school environment.

Degrees from some colleges are suspect so your dad may have a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Fo Real wrote: »
    Say you are muslim OP. They will roll out the red carpet for you and give you free accommodation. They will even throw money at you to fund your Muslim soc.

"So what do you guys actually do with that big fat CSC grant, funded by the students?"

".....Mulslim stuff"

Free accommodation? Where's your evidence of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

mcdermla wrote: »
    That's bull****, no one is too 'slow' for Trinity, it's the exact same as any other college. The pass rate is 50% though so that might put you off, but in general it has the same standards as other places.

Not in every course - many are 40%.

OP, that "you guys use very big words." sounds a tad troll-tastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Hey guys

Em... Is this a joke?

I'm sorry if it is not, it just seems like maybe it is.

Dude, more important then the college you chose is the course you pick.

A degree in classical or greek studies for example, will not open many doors even though it is from Trinity,

UCD is recognized globally as having a higher standard for commerce then Trinity etc...

Maybe chose a course that will interest you? One you enjoy. Truth is, if you enjoy it, it will be easier for you to devote your time to. And as such you will do alot better.

My advice is pick the course you like whether be english, engineering, etc and chose the best universities in that particular topic you can and try get in there...

Saying that anything from Trinity will set you up for life is a bit of a joke to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cuntab

muboop1 wrote: »
    Dude, more important then the college you chose is the course you pick.

Dude, what are you on?

Fuck that shit. I'm not gonna waste my time going out to UCD or DCU when i could go to a college that's just half an hour away by bus (and with so many amenities nearby). Trinners 4 winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Whats everyone talking about 40-50% pass rate?
    So your saying in most courses in TCD half or less will complete their degree??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Cuntab wrote: »
    Dude, what are you on?

Fuck that shit. I'm not gonna waste my time going out to UCD or DCU when i could go to a college that's just half an hour away by bus (and with so many amenities nearby). Trinners 4 winners.

Ah, nice trolling work there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    Whats everyone talking about 40-50% pass rate?
    So your saying in most courses in TCD half or less will complete their degree??
    They're saying that the pass mark for an exam is 40-50% i.e. you need to get 40-50% of questions right to pass the exam. Nothing to do with pass rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Not exactly a shining example of a thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement