Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will You Wear Your Gown on Trinity Monday?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm looking forward to Monday's gown-wearing opportunity on Front Square.

Feck the innovators who penned the new College statutes who decree that gowns should only be worn at formal occasions. Surely we should sensibly restrict full academic dress/hoods to the formal occasions? (although I don't see why such things need to be specified in the Statutes) I believe students should wear the gown appropriate to their standing with much increased frequency and take pride in their institution. Otherwise, we'll just end up a homogenised mess alongside UCD/DIT/DCU/UL/UCC/WIT/etc. and all the mediocrity that goes with being under the thumb of the Irish State.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I'll be wearing my dressing gown....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

God, these threads get tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PapaRatzi

Podge_irl wrote: »
    God, these threads get tedious.

What great egalitarian Oxford college are you in? Green-Templeton? Kellogg?

PapaRatzi wrote: »
    What great egalitarian Oxford college are you in? Green-Templeton? Kellogg?

Oriel

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Oriel

A fine college. I've had the pleasure of dining there on a couple of occasions. No doubt when you come home to your alma mater, you'd be too embarrassed to wear your Dublin gown (do you even posess such a garment?). Wouldn't want to offend anyone like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

being under the thumb of the Irish State.

>Implying you're a Trinity west Briton
    ... like.

>Showing you're not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Quick question actually, how do you book a commons meal if you're not a scholar? Can you do it? A friend of mine got accepted onto a course that he really wanted and I thought it'd be a nice thing to do!

El Siglo wrote: »
    Quick question actually, how do you book a commons meal if you're not a scholar? Can you do it? A friend of mine got accepted onto a course that he really wanted and I thought it'd be a nice thing to do!

Go to back of dining hall where the food counters are. Turn right. There's a gap beside the academics' water taps. Go up a flight of stairs. Press the buzzer and say you want to go to Commons. They'll happily stamp a blue Commons ticket for you (they are very nice in there).

Maybe in another 10 years' time, you might be able to do all this online... Personally, I think all students should be given €X worth of Commons vouchers per term. Would only cost an extra few bob on top of the registration fee and it would greatly enhance the Trinity experience, not to mention make plenty of extra cash for the College.

It's €18 for students btw. A princely sum. I believe at our friend Podge_irl's Oriel, it's something like £3.50 for formal hall. I remember getting a top quality Chianti for less than a fiver there a while back. We on the other hand have to put up with screw-cap Errazuriz. Hopefully we'll get somebody new in charge of the College wine cellar soon.

Don't get me started on the Guinness and tea/coffee situation in our Dining Hall that is steadily drip, dripping away like a leaking tap.

It's €18 for students btw. A princely sum. I believe at our friend Podge_irl's Oriel, it's something like £3.50 for formal hall. I remember getting a top quality Chianti for less than a fiver there a while back. We on the other hand have to put up with screw-cap Errazuriz. Hopefully we'll get somebody new in charge of the College wine cellar soon.

I think it's more like £3.80 these days.

Commons is about the only thing that I ever agree with on these threads. Formal Halls are a fantastic occasion in the Oxbridge colleges and it's a shame Trinity doesn't take it more seriously and maintain some of its traditions.

As regards things such as wearing of gowns and other such issues, losing them was reasonably inevitable in such a large and city-centre based university imo. It's easier for students to keep with the ethos of Oxbridge colleges precisely because they are so small and have a much more important role in the student's life. The university level formalities are essentially based around graduation and these are still kept for the most part.

Incidentally, I may well be wrong on this, but as regards the OP, I was under the impression that the requirement to wear a gown is what constituted a formal occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

I'm looking forward to Monday's gown-wearing opportunity on Front Square.

Feck the innovators who penned the new College statutes who decree that gowns should only be worn at formal occasions. Surely we should sensibly restrict full academic dress/hoods to the formal occasions? (although I don't see why such things need to be specified in the Statutes) I believe students should wear the gown appropriate to their standing with much increased frequency and take pride in their institution. Otherwise, we'll just end up a homogenised mess alongside UCD/DIT/DCU/UL/UCC/WIT/etc. and all the mediocrity that goes with being under the thumb of the Irish State.

This post is written in suspiciously similar style to a former poster who was entitled to write Cantab. after his name.

• Advertisement

Go to back of dining hall where the food counters are. Turn right. There's a gap beside the academics' water taps. Go up a flight of stairs. Press the buzzer and say you want to go to Commons. They'll happily stamp a blue Commons ticket for you (they are very nice in there).

Maybe in another 10 years' time, you might be able to do all this online... Personally, I think all students should be given €X worth of Commons vouchers per term. Would only cost an extra few bob on top of the registration fee and it would greatly enhance the Trinity experience, not to mention make plenty of extra cash for the College.

Don't get me started on the Guinness and tea/coffee situation in our Dining Hall that is steadily drip, dripping away like a leaking tap.

Cheers!

We're almost there! The fruits of a generation of aggressive feminism are finally paying off and the lavender mafia now get to dominate. Message to men: enter Trinity at your peril!

Should be good banter tomorrow. I consider 10 a.m. on a Monday morning particularly early, but I'll make a special effort to attend and try not to let the hysterical screams of tearful 19 year-old girls grate my eardrums.

And who decided to make entry to the College Chapel "by invitation only"? The College is full of a bunch of heathens. The chapel was half empty last year. Are they expecting a flood of people to hear the words of the archbishop of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hmm, what an odd coincidence, PapaRatzi is a perfect anagram for OPisCantab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cuntab

Dude. I'm so totally gonna wear my gown tomorrow. I think they're so cool!!!

It's like "hey, everyone....we're trinners, **** you. You wish you were good enough to be one of us. Standing here in our gowns drinking cans in the middle of the day. Look I'm not even wearing anything under this *at which point i very briefly expose my genitals to prove i am not lying*".

tl,dr: count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Should be good banter tomorrow. I consider 10 a.m. on a Monday morning particularly early, but I'll make a special effort to attend and try not to let the hysterical screams of tearful 19 year-old girls grate my eardrums.

After all, it's not like the people who put so much effort into studying for the Scholarship exams matter.. :rolleyes:

j1smithy wrote: »
    This post is written in suspiciously similar style to a former poster who was entitled to write Cantab. after his name.

Thank God I wasn't the only one wearing a gown this morning. Good to finally see students taking the initiative. Feck the egalitarians.
    After all, it's not like the people who put so much effort into studying for the Scholarship exams matter.. rolleyes.gif

Do you really think the College Psychiatrist and the Student Counselling Service should be attending to failed scholars? Their services are stretched to the limit as it is.

Advertisement