Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Jiu Jitsu in Dublin

Options
  • 06-04-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I've checked the sticky and done a search and haven't really found what I'm looking for. . .

Can anyone point me in the direction of a club that's teaching Japanese Jiu Jitsu in Dublin? As opposed to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I'm more interested in learning stand up jiu jitsu.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

There's a pretty famous club in Drumcondra. No idea what the contact details are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 itchymarky

Ya. There are a few mentions of a club in Drumcondra on here but no details or directions or even a name. What's that all about?

Do you know if it's definitely Jap JJ they do there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

It's Joe Carslake. Someone mentioned the club might actually be gone to me one day but I don't know for sure.

If you can't find what you're looking for maybe have a stab at Judo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

http://www.ijjk.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=36

It's often spelled Ju Jutsu.

If you're a trinity student, pass or present, you can do German JuJutsu with us. Pretty much the same at beginner level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 itchymarky

Boston wrote: »
    http://www.ijjk.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=36

It's often spelled Ju Jutsu.

If you're a trinity student, pass or present, you can do German JuJutsu with us. Pretty much the same at beginner level.

Boston - cheers for the link. From readin the site it looks like this is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

As for being a Trinity student, past or present, I spent years in UL, did a stint in NCI and now work in DIT but never, en route, had a spell in Trinity! Cheers for the offer though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Draego

Hi,

We have a club offering traditional jujutsu that trains in Malahide Community School, in the canteen there every Tuesday from 7:30pm-9pm. We hope to be moving to their hall during the next two or three weeks after which we will be 7:30-9:30. The cost is 5 euro and you are more than welcome to come up and take a look! PM me if you want any more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're looking specifically for Japanese jujutsu, i.e a style that can be verified as originating in japan you won't find many (or any) in dublin. Probably ninja's are the closest thing, bujinkan and genbukan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd doubt the OP is looking for a Ryu that can be traced back to feudal Japan but rather a bit of karate/throws/grappling/weapons in white pyjamas and a belt structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well the OP should be more careful what he bleedin asks for then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bujinkan

The Bujinkan contains complete schools of Japanese Jujutsu. Information on clubs throughout Dublin & Ireland can be found at www.bujinkan.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I used to train with Joe Carlslake years ago in dublin. He's the guy in Drumcondra.

He is a wealth of knowledge. But an odd Cat. Not sure if his brother Martin is still involved but he was lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 biffo34

Joe Carslake's club is still running, and strongly thank god. He can be contacted at 01 8403949.
    I am a senior instructor at the club. Training is on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9pm, there are also classes on other nights, but they are the best nights to come.
    All the best,
    Darren Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nakor

OP, you can drop in to our class as well (in Dun Laoghaire) pm me for details.

Advertisement