Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying your car privately?

Options
  • 06-04-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So I'm picking up my 1st car on Thursday and I'm wondering what do I need do?

Any documents need to be changed, signatures, receipts etc?

Its an 03 VW Golf Comfort Line if it makes any difference?

I really don't have a clue about any of this :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So it seems the deal has been done. Might be a bit late but have you had this car professionally checked out to be sure its a good one? Too late to change your mind when you have paid for it & you have zero comeback in a private sale. 1.4 petrol engines in some golfs are known to be brutal too. I dont know what you have bought.
    Anyway, all you need to do when picking up car is ensure that both the seller & yourself sign the registration cert. This must be posted to licencing authority. Its a good idea to jointly take this to a post box & drop it in.
    Also worth while, doing up quick receipt saying that you have purchased the car for €xxx on xx/xx/xx etc.
    The minimum requirement is that you both sign the cert though.

Also be sure to get all keys together with service book & original codes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You fill out the Vehicle License/Registration Certiciate (in the change of owner section) and sign it (the both of ye, owner + buyer) and post it to the address on the cert (which is the department of transport in shannon).

For your records you could also write out a receipt saying you bought the car from this guy of this address on this day at this time for this much price and you and the seller can sign it.

Also handy to tell the seller to bring some sorta ID to make sure the car belongs to him.

You give him the money, shake hands and you can drive away in your new car!

And yeah, its always good to take the car to a garage to make sure you're not buying a lemon.
    With a dealer you can always return the car back to him if its all broken but in a private sale you might never see the guy you bought your car from so you've gotta be very careful as to what you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Transfer of ownership form, your local Garda station should have them.
    Try and get the two keys when your collecting the car also.
    No harm in signing a receipt for the car, getting the owners address
    and signature too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Muckie wrote: »
    Transfer of ownership form, your local Garda station should have them.
    Try and get the two keys when your collecting the car also.
    No harm in signing a receipt for the car, getting the owners address
    and signature too.

WRONG,The transfer of ownership forms only apply to vehicles up to 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Not professionally no, but I had a friends dad take a look at it yesterday and he said it looks fine to him. Clean he said.

53k miles on it and a lady owner. She said she had it serviced and got a new clutch in it prior to putting it up for sale. Shes had it about a year and looking to get something different. She seemed genuine to me anyway.

So

The cert.
    Receipt just to say car is sold with signature.
    2 keys.. wouldn't have thought about that.

Also I wont be driving it home, will be getting the mother to do that. My theory test is tomorrow and I wont have the money for insurance until the end of the month.

Shes fully licensed and its about a 10 minute drive from her house so it should be ok.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

WRONG,The transfer of ownership forms only apply to vehicles up to 1993.

LEARN something new everyday. Good luck with the car.
    Hope your trouble free for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bop1977

dazftw wrote: »
    Not professionally no, but I had a friends dad take a look at it yesterday and he said it looks fine to him. Clean he said.

53k miles on it and a lady owner. She said she had it serviced and got a new clutch in it prior to putting it up for sale. Shes had it about a year and looking to get something different. She seemed genuine to me anyway.

So

The cert.
    Receipt just to say car is sold with signature.
    2 keys.. wouldn't have thought about that.

Also I wont be driving it home, will be getting the mother to do that. My theory test is tomorrow and I wont have the money for insurance until the end of the month.

Shes fully licensed and its about a 10 minute drive from her house so it should be ok.

Make sure your mother has insurance (feck tax and NCT!!;)) if the car isnt insured by you, your mother wont be covered to drive it on her policy (if she is allowed to drive other cars on her policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Make sure there's a decent spare tyre and the jack is supplied.

Don't assume anything where insurance is concerned, explain the situation to the insurance company and how you plan to get the car home. Get their approval that everything complies with the policy.
    • If you don't have an active insurance policy on your car then your Ma may not be insured to drive it even if she has her own policy on her own car and is allowed to drive other cars. Insurance companies often require the other car to be insured.
    • Driving other cars is often only allowed if the main car is off the road. She may not be insured to drive you car home while the main car is on the road.
    • If your Ma is a named driver on your Da's policy she may not be covered to drive other cars.
    Get the car checked out by a garage before you buy, unless you had the car checked on a hoist your friend's Da is not in a position to give it a proper check. It's most likely to be fine but can you afford to lose money if its not?.

Anyone else here think a clutch change at 53K is a bit early even with a lady owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

slimjimmc wrote: »

Anyone else here think a clutch change at 53K is a bit early even with a lady owner?

Ah I knew a woman who needed a clutch once a month. It depends on the woman driver really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Right, im going collecting my car this evening. Can someone just clarify, is it me or the seller who brings the cert and should I get it off him and send it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

samsemtex wrote: »
    Right, im going collecting my car this evening. Can someone just clarify, is it me or the seller who brings the cert and should I get it off him and send it?

You and the seller fill out the back of the VLC together and the seller posts it to Shannon. It's no harm to go to the post box and post it together, that way you know it's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dazftw wrote: »
    53k miles on it and a lady owner. She said she had it serviced and got a new clutch in it prior to putting it up for sale.
    Has she invoices for the work? Does the car have a service history? Has it had a cambelt recently? AFAIK that should be done at 5yrs/60k miles on that car, so the cambelt & water pump should have been replaced in 2008. If not, budget for immediate replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

samsemtex wrote: »

The seller will/should have the cert with him. And after you fill it out and post it to shannon, you'll get a new one in your name.

Ideally you're both to fill out and post the cert together.

Just make sure whatever way you're gonna do it that the cert is filled out correctly, signed in the right places and posted to the right address.

Advertisement