Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the biggest satellite dish.

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Very interested in this one. I will start it off. I have a 1.1 metre dish. Please only post on this if you have a bigger dish than the previous poster. Lets see just how big the biggest one is........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

have 2 dishs,one is a 1.2 metre prime focus IRTE dish motorised.the other is a 1.85m mabo offset dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ah, penis envy at its worst :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭localchap

bassy wrote: »
    have 2 dishs,one is a 1.2 metre prime focus IRTE dish motorised.the other is a 1.85m mabo offset dish.
    bassy: where did you get that Mabo 1.85 and how much was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

my brother bought it new,but he left for australia and gave it to me.very good dish.are you looking for one?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A 1.1m is a tiddler. I have 2 x 95cm and 1 x 1.1m (110cm).

My friend has a "petal" based 3.7m dish with elevation actuator and azimuth actuator. I wish he would take it out of its boxes and install it. It's for C-band, but it's mesh is nearly as small as Sky Dish, so I wonder how it would perform on Ku.

Price goes up very very rapidly with size so a 5m dish can cost €82,000!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I have a 1.2metre triax dish pointed at 19 Astra 1, 13 hotbird and 4.8 Sirius.. ...keeps the girlfriend quiet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

steveon wrote: »
    I have a 1.2metre triax dish pointed at 19 Astra 1, 13 hotbird and 4.8 Sirius.. ...keeps the girlfriend quiet..

Hi steveon, slightly off topic but are you using a triax multiblock? I'm trying to set up the same as you atm but am having no luck, only managing to get 19.2 perfect, 13 about 75% and nothing from 4.8.What is the spacing you are using?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

There is a chap in Castleknock who has what must be at least a 5m monster in his back garden. Clearly visible from the road. It is one of those mesh type dishes.

C-band or a radio telescope :)
    Or mega UK Terrestrial aerial :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Max Power1 wrote: »
    ah, penis envy at its worst :rolleyes:

He didn't ask who has the biggest penis tho... (that would be me ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

3m offset solid - you can see it in my backyard on google earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Andy454 wrote: »
    3m offset solid - you can see it in my backyard on google earth!

What brand is it and why sort of mount is it fitted to? Can you post a pic?

Apogee wrote: »
    What brand is it and why sort of mount is it fitted to? Can you post a pic?

Channel master - motorised channel master mount - haven't a pic, it used to be on the andrew website under earthstation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Channel master - motorised channel master mount - haven't a pic, it used to be on the andrew website under earthstation!

So it's a polar mount? What size actuator? Do you mind answering how much it cost and where you sourced it?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

[PHP]3m offset solid - you can see it in my backyard on google earth![/PHP]What freqs, 11,12,4 ghz's,? If your want to sell it, I'll buy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Folks i wandered into this thread.

I only have a sky dish but am very curious to know what channels you get or what ye use them for.

If ue have links id like them too.

Mad for gadgets i am.

www.lyngsat.com
    Atlantic and Europe Frequencies
    Anything with a Foot print over or close to Ireland.

ISAA wrote: »
    [PHP]3m offset solid - you can see it in my backyard on google earth![/PHP]What freqs, 11,12,4 ghz's,? If your want to sell it, I'll buy it. :)

Its Ku band - (well at that size it would be fine for both C and ku) !

As for selling - sure you might as well ask me to sell an arm!

I mounted it on a steel tube from BCG engineering near the old coca cola factory on the naas road - they do poles incredibly cheap - you have to get them galvanised / painted yourself though.

I got the dish in 1997 from a crowd called CPC in England. It was part of a clear out at the time so I think it came in around 1000 sterling.

The acutuator was a Jaguar actuator - can't remember the size or cost - When fully extended its about 1 meter in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I got the dish in 1997 from a crowd called CPC in England. It was part of a clear out at the time so I think it came in around 1000 sterling.

What did they use to deliver it? Was it flown over by helicopter.. dangling from the bottom? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I mounted it on a steel tube from BCG engineering near the old coca cola factory on the naas road - they do poles incredibly cheap - you have to get them galvanised / painted yourself though.

The acutuator was a Jaguar actuator - can't remember the size or cost - When fully extended its about 1 meter in length.

the big question, can you receive Nilesat @7W?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

M5 wrote: »
    the big question, can you receive Nilesat @7W?

I would say its touch and go.

2.4m wont get Nilesat here but will in lower England.

Advertisement