Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator Charging

Options
  • 06-04-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I had to get a reconditioned alternator back in January and all seemed fine until last week when we had to get a new battery and our (new) mechanic told us the alternator wasn't charging correctly. Our old mechanic, who fitted the alternator, says it is......

New mechanic says: charging at about 13.5v with no load, 12.5 with full load, should be up at 13.8 to 14v.

Old mechanic says: Anything between 13-14v is fine.

What would people here suggest is the correct range?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

As far as I know it should be around 13.7 under a full load, not too sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As far as I know it should be around 13.7 under a full load, not too sure though

+1

12.5 seems a bit low under full load, but it all depends on where its been measured.

Was there no warranty with the reconditioned alternator, from the people who reconditioned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭bazzjazz

Yeah, there is a warranty with it and there's no problem getting it swapped if necessary.

I'm just curious about the values I should expect from a test, so I know if I am being levelled with.

Advertisement