Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car warranty: consumer rights

Options
  • 05-04-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I recently bought a 2004 Ford Mondeo from a car dealer in Dublin. The car had an NCT from Feb 2010 so I assumed it was roadworthy and reliable.

Issue: However I've now found out that there are several problems with the car, which I did not cause, but which were there when I purchased the car.

Ask: do I have recompense with the dealer so that he covers cost of repairs, as car is not fit for purpose or fully roadworthy when purchased?

Problems:
    1. Both front wheels are buckled and need to be replaced
    2. Both front tyre threads are worn and need to be replaced
    3. Steering is slightly wobbly

Total cost to repair this is about €1000.

Warranty: The warranty is 3 months for engine and gearbox.
    But nothing about wheels/tyres.

I spoke to a different garage and they advised that this damage could have occured after the NCT. I have only driven car 400 miles since purchase and have not caused this damage.

How should I proceed?
    What are my consumer rights (if car was damaged when I purchased)?

Any assistance appreciated.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

might get better idea over in the motoring section, but did you not look at the tyres when buying the car, should have been obvious if they were bald also did you drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jap gt wrote: »
    might get better idea over in the motoring section, but did you not look at the tyres when buying the car, should have been obvious if they were bald also did you drive it

He's already got the same post in the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed as duplicate thread exists in Motors forum

OP - please only create one thread on a topic at any time.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement