Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Damp

Options
  • 05-04-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, the builder didn't finish the project properly for me Ma and Da but we held on to the retention money and he still wouldn't deal with it.

The house is over 100 years old and under went renovations and extentions about 6 years ago. this has just gotten worse and worse.

I feel that it's rising damp and that the Dpc wasn't properly installed thus leading to the plasterboard becoming so bad.

Here's a photo attached,

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

Also the internal flue is heavily stained and cracking in places, I'v recommended that it be taken out and replaced.

A photo is also attached

DSCF0221.jpg
    Any opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

It could be rising damp or it could be a leaking heating pipe . The discoloration of the metal power points and the greening of the rad pipe suggest a lot of water in the walls and floor . Those power points will have oxidised ( greened) cable ends too and as such can give rise to electric shock and they also present a fire risk as oxidised copper will overheat .

You need expert advice on site - beyond what can be offered online .

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

sinnerboy wrote: »
    It could be rising damp or it could be a leaking heating pipe . The discoloration of the metal power points and the greening of the rad pipe suggest a lot of water in the walls and floor . Those power points will have oxidised ( greened) cable ends too and as such can give rise to electric shock and they also present a fire risk as oxidised copper will overheat .

You need expert advice on site - beyond what can be offered online .

Yeah we don't use the sockets or the radiator just in case ya know?
    I'm fairly sure it's rising damp (studying Building Surveying in college) but just wanted someone else's opinion so thanks very much Sinnerboy.
    We have had past problems with Rising Damp in the house and have had a chap out from Protem who said he "sorted it" but obviously not (another long story)

Thanks again and sure will let you know how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

HI sinnerboy/ focus mad ..

My folks are experiencing a similar issue (in dundalk as well!).

Can you recomend someone who can call out and assess the damp issue?

Cheers

Curently have the builder on site, the render has been fully removed, it was a gypsum type plaster instead of lime based which was originally specified...

I will PM you details.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Have you dug a french all round the external wall to lower the water table. Break a small hole in the wall to check if the middle of the wall is damp, if its damp its rising damp, if its not its probably condensation!

• Advertisement

Have you dug a french all round the external wall to lower the water table. Break a small hole in the wall to check if the middle of the wall is damp, if its damp its rising damp, if its not its probably condensation!

Ah its definitly rising damp, there was a chemical Dpc installed that did S.F.A and its contributed to it, 40% of the external ground is above the finished floor level so we are in the process of havin ot lowered with the associated piping too..

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Some lime plasters's can get as hard as Gypsum especially the Hydraulic ones that go off quickly. To take up and give off a good level of water vapour they need to be quite soft, you'd be able to dig your nail into it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

HI Guys,

Just some updates on my folks damp issue:

We got a guy out who measured moistuer via a meter readings from 33 to 15% were observed.

Hi reckons there is no internal dampproofing course: House built in late 70's.

His solution options:

1........................get heating system pressure tested to ensure no leaks, if any found, repair.

2.................... remove the plaster back to the concrete block at a height of circa 1 metre.

3........................he will inject the mortar course that is on top of the first block

4.................replaster using "specially treated cement to repel moisture etc and finish with "special" skimcoat, also to repel moisture.

the area to be chipped away and peplastered is circa 50m squared.

from a guestimate i asked for, without prejiduce to his "calculations back in office", was 1600euro approx for chemicals and 280euro per day for his two man crew of "very good" plasterers. these guys would remove old plaster and leave house finished for redecorating.

thus i reckon ,without the estimate 5000 euro.

Does this all sound reasonable??

Appreciate any views/ opinions..

Advertisement