Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Wexford town?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Le Tire Bouchon I would say...any other opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I had heard great things about that place, but have been there twice now and have been unimpressed both times.

I think you can't beat the yard or jacques (greenacres). I really love jacques - the setting is beautiful and the food is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Aldridge Lodge, consistent excellence, free parking and lots of sea air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭robdugg

wexfjord wrote: »
    Aldridge Lodge, consistent excellence, free parking and lots of sea air.

Taste is nice. Right there is Selskar.

I've heard Fordes is the best. Never actually eaten there myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

robdugg wrote: »
    Taste is nice. Right there is Selskar.

I've heard Fordes is the best. Never actually eaten there myself though.

Been to Fordes which is really nice but I have to say Taste is probably the best imo and it is probably the best value too.

I'd stay away from the Yard, food is o.k. but terrible value, really overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I would say the Vine is the best in town....fantastic Thai food!!

Outside of town, The Lobster Pot would get my vote..unbelievable fresh seafood. You cant make bookings...just show up and sit or show up and wait (thats the way it was the last time i was there anyway)

• Advertisement

Where is Aldrige lodge? Is it in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Chan's Chinese is yum. The restaurant is a bit dark but the food is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

David900 wrote: »
    Been to Fordes which is really nice but I have to say Taste is probably the best imo and it is probably the best value too.

I'd stay away from the Yard, food is o.k. but terrible value, really overpriced.
    I love Fordes. The Yard was always my favourite but has gone steadily downhill in recent months

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Dinkie wrote: »
    Where is Aldrige lodge? Is it in the town?

:oI may not have read the thread title correctly.:o

Its in Duncannon and serves the best comtemporary cuisine in the county at very reasonable prices. Havent been there in a while and i have no connections with the place but i would highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food.

They received an excellent review from Sunday Indo and have recieved industry awards to beat the band.

If anyone here has had a bad experience there, i'll eat my proverbial hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I've never had a bad experience in Fordes - it's always near the top of the list on the rare opportunities that we get to go out nowadays. The Vine is great as well. Used to love The Yard too but the last couple of times I've been it has been very disappointing and I'm not in a hurry to return.

I've heard some really good things about Le Tire Bouchon and Taste and I'm looking forward to trying both.

The Lobster Pot is the most child-unfriendly place I've ever visited - if I brought leprousy in I probably have been more welcomed - I'll never darken their door again even when the kids are not with us.

• Advertisement

The Lobster Pot is the most child-unfriendly place I've ever visited - if I brought leprousy in I probably have been more welcomed - I'll never darken their door again even when the kids are not with us.
    I must add that restaurant to my list of places to go now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

I think Kelly's is great although it isn't in the town. I quite like spice also, although I always have to ask them to add more heat to the dishes.

Not a fan of tire bouchon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

The Yard, Fordes or Vine Restaurant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

I've never had a bad experience in Fordes - it's always near the top of the list on the rare opportunities that we get to go out nowadays. The Vine is great as well. Used to love The Yard too but the last couple of times I've been it has been very disappointing and I'm not in a hurry to return.

I've heard some really good things about Le Tire Bouchon and Taste and I'm looking forward to trying both.

Was seriously dissappointed with Fordes. Restaurant was empty (Sat night), food and presentation were very basic - could have done it better myself. Meal incl wine cost €100 approx. It wasnt worth more than €30. Wont be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Another vote for Kelly's here if you can afford the taxi out to Rosslare and home. The early bird menu is great value too.

Went to the Emerald gardens on Saturday night for the first time in years. The food was ok but the service was brutal.

For Italian I'd vote for La Dolce Vita. Its good, proper Italian food.
    I've been hearing good things about Greenacres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

forde's and the vine in town well worth a visit. Thumbs up for kells in rosslare strand as well. For fine dining there is also burger mac:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

The Lotus House is my number one for Chinese followed closely by the Emerald Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Ate at 'Le Tire Bouchon' recently and was extremely disappointed. Food and service only average at best. It just to be fab when it was 'Heavens Above'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ozzie wrote: »
    Ate at 'Le Tire Bouchon' recently and was extremely disappointed. Food and service only average at best. It just to be fab when it was 'Heavens Above'.
    service was really shiite for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 41 offline.seller

Spice (indian) for take away, and Luna Rosa (italian) for a sit down.

Tried Luna Rosa for the first time over the bank holiday. Dropped in with a few friends for the early bird and food was fab. It was definitely the most authentic italian I've had outside of Italy!

I'll be heading to La Dolce Vita the weekend after next and will report back, although I've heard pretty good things from friends who've dined there.

Cheers,

o/s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kehoe1103

I love potato market, vine thai, the sky and the ground upstair french restaurant 'Le Tire Bouchon' food was lovely ,but the staff a bit snobby, Raj Tandoori Indian is my favour and farmer kitchen yummy!!!

p/s: La scala the new Italian in town r the worst restaurant I hv been to, awful service
    Spice Indian atmospheres r good, foods out of my expected !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 annie87

The vine ! Try the duck tamarind, its 'quare' nice

Ate in Taste last Sat night. Service was very good though we had to wait 40mins for our main course. Starters and main course were great but desert was no good - mrs had tiramasu which came in a tumbler and was so liquid she had to drink it. Also they have no spirits licence so we had to do with our customary Irish coffee :(

Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I will be going back...

This maybe the wrong place, but what is the name of the new italian near the premier?? Is it any good?

I heard that you can bring your own wine which would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

For Italian I'd vote for La Dolce Vita. Its good, proper Italian food.

Use to be a big fan of La Dolce Vita. Last time I was there I was really disappointed with the food and the service was brutal. The owners don't seem to be there anymore. Was talking to a friend of mine last Saturday and she said she was there two weeks ago and thought it had really gone down hill. Haven't tried any of the others but will definately put Fordes on my list.

wonderworm wrote: »
    Use to be a big fan of La Dolce Vita. Last time I was there I was really disappointed with the food and the service was brutal. The owners don't seem to be there anymore. Was talking to a friend of mine last Saturday and she said she was there two weeks ago and thought it had really gone down hill. Haven't tried any of the others but will definately put Fordes on my list.

Only go to Fordes if you're desperate - its easily the worst of all the restaurants I have tried in Wex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Dinkie wrote: »
    This maybe the wrong place, but what is the name of the new italian near the premier?? Is it any good?

I heard that you can bring your own wine which would be nice

Nonna Rosa, and yes, you can bring your own wine. Food's lovely, atmos great, they have their own pizza oven.... all round great.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Going to the Vine tonight. Can't wait its been so long!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 King Crisps

I have read all the posts on here. I agree that Aldridge Lodge is top class, and Kellys is very good also. BUT BUT BUT, other comments on here are so funny and comical, they are hard to believe. Comments like " you can't beat the Yard",,, " the Lobster Pot would get my vote, great fresh fish"....A lot of comments about oriental/Asian food, when is the last time anyone ate in one of these restaurants and were actually able to taste what they were eating,,,e.g, chicken tastes like spices, Prawns taste like....spices,,,beef tastes like, yep you guessed it, spices, etc etc etc.All it is, is disguising the actual taste of the meat/fish so they can buy frozen stuff for dirt cheap prices.
    Don't get me wrong, I eat oriental food occasionally, but don't mistake them as great restaurants just because you like the taste of spices.
    "I'd vote for La Dolche Vita",,,are you serious, have you ever eaten here. It's the same menu, day and night. Presentation is disgracefull for a restaurant that has been voted the best restaurant in the county, which is very laughable, but it's amazing what you can be awarded when you play golf with certain people.
    "Le Tire Bouchon, used to be fab when it was Heavens above" OMG lol, did you ever eat in Heavens above, jesus what a **** whole. The food was dreadfull, service just as bad, that's why they are closed down.
    Service at Le Tire Bouchon was bad,,,,People, it's called proper service. You are too used to some chewing gum munching "how'ya hun" waitress with over powering perfume and chipped nail polish, talking to loud as she takes your order.
    Nona rossa is lovely, I do agree with that. proper home cooked Italian food, not like the **** you can get at La Dolche Vita
    The Vine, food is average, Service is awfull, and I like the cracks and cobwebs all over the place lol, omg clean the place.

My summary would be....don't believe everything you read on sites like these,most people actually don't have a clue what they are talking about as regards to genuine good food and service. Don't mistake good food, for food where you can't actually taste the main ingriedent, and don't mistake great professional service for snobbery.

I do know what I am talking about, I write articles frequently about this topic. The bottom line is, don't be fooled and don't be mistaken. Open your mind to what great food and service actually is, Step away from the mindset of sausage and chip, curry and chips etc....oh but the curry sauce is so good i hear you say, but can you actually taste the chicken. No, i didn't think so.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your experienced insight King Crisps. And there was me thinking that I actually enjoyed the food, atmosphere, service and variation in the majority of occasions that I have eaten out in Wexford over the last 25 years. I now feel cheated and dirty for having done so.

Advertisement