Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greyhound pub gone!

Options
  • 05-04-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Its sad to hear that the greyhound pub closed for the very last time last night. Am going to miss it have some good memories in there new years eve used to be brilliant!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Whoa!

Is anything else opening in it's place?????

Is the site being developed???

That is sad indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It was only taken over a while back, suppose you cant make enough money at €3 a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

2qk4u wrote: »
    It was only taken over a while back, suppose you cant make enough money at €3 a drink.

Be that as it may, it's still the only pub I've ever been to where I've had to pay a cover charge upon entry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I used to work in there as a lounge girl, my very first job, I was still in school.. A sad day indeed, that place used to be the epicenter of social life in Blanch back in the day, you couldn't get a seat for love nor money past about 8 on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.. How times have changed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Drank in there regularly when working Part time in Superquinn years back, hadnt been in it in years until about a 7 or 8 months ago & was amazed at how it had died a death in that time, only stayed for the one pint as the current crowd(sic) were far from friendly.... had heard it was bought by the same company that owns the Superquinn SC site so i suppose it was inevitable that it would be knocked eventually.... some great memories of the place though, a Saturday evening after a stocktaking it was always the place to be...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

thats mad. I just drove by there today and never even noticed it closed. I used to drink there all the time years ago, back when I could afford to drink. Had some epic thursday nights there with some work friends back round the turn of the centuty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

drank there a few times back when i was a shelf stacker in superquinn but i always valued my safety so never did after that..only so much dopey kanckers i can stomach so i refrained from boozing there...good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When the blakestown inn close seems the clients moved to the budda bar and then when that close to the greyhound. Bit of a pattern there it seems.

15 years ago it was a nice pub but about 10 years ago they split it into half a dance/disco bar and it started going rapidly down hill after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i was in the bell last sunday..not much difference..my mate got started on for hogging the hand dryer "here bud i need to dry me hands, fook off" only good thing was there was lots of hot chav girls there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Never really took to the Bell as a pub, though it was the scene of the first and so far most successful D15 beers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thaedydal wrote: »
    When the blakestown inn close seems the clients moved to the budda bar .

Don't forget Peregrins :o lovely bunch of establishments altoghether.. The Budabar was actually nice when it first opened, they were quite picky about who they let in, that didn't last long.. I was there the night a bouncer was shot at the door :eek: that was the end of that for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The budha bar was very nice at first and then got swamped when the blakestown was close and the management changed it's door policy, I was in there one night and there were a pair of teens in runners chasing about the bar and that was that never went back which was a shame it was a nice venue and well furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I too was also in the Budabar one night when someone tried to drive in the front door !

When I was 18 (1994) The Greyhound was the place to be as we couldnt get into The Bell and the Blanchardstown house was for ould fellas.
    There was a good bunch of people around my age who all drank in The Roselawn from the age of 16-18/19 then moved to The Greyhound seemed like a stepping stone at the time :D

Anyway alot of good times in all those places but its just not the same anymore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Never thought much of the place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

A piece i wrote on the hounds facebook

It closed for me the day Tommy bared me for I dunno what. Got back in when the new owners took over, but it was never the same. Went in one night on the way to west/heaven/light and the bouncer asked had I any friends in there, it was a Saturday night with like 10 people in it.

Still some great crack:
    Djs/quizs, themed nights with lolly pops, t-shirts etc.
    Half time of the match running into to the offo for chocolate and crisps.
    Young an ole Tommy and tiny Kev the bouncers.
    Pitchers for a tenner.
    Deco asking for id, even though we all knew him.
    All day sessions and sitting on the bus stop eating you chipper outside chartbusters.
    Falling out of it and onto mike ***** bus and waiting ages to go the vortex.
    Going in the back door @ ten to 12 to watch the footie while the cleaners where still there.
    Last but not least, knowing everyone and the characters that you met in it.

Advertisement