Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 14: Smoked Haddock and Leek Risotto

Options
  • 05-04-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

As no one has made a fish course yet I'm going to post up a favourite of mine. It's really tasty comfort food and easy enough to make.

Smoked Haddock and Leek Risotto. Serves 2

Ingredients:
    Large knob of butter
    200g cooked smoked haddock
    150g risotto rice
    1 leek sliced thinly
    1 onion chopped finely
    1 clove garlic
    50ml white wine
    500ml vegetable or fish stock (I had some homemade chicken stock which I used in mine)
    Handful of frozen peas
    2 tablspoons creme fraiche
    15g grated parmesan
    Chopped parsley to garnish

Method:
    First you need to cook the fish, I usually poach it in some milk with black pepper and a bay leaf. Once cooked, flake the fish and set aside.
    In a large pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and sweat for about 6 mins, then add the garlic and cook for a further 2 mins.
    In a seperate saucepan heat the stock untl simmering, keep the saucepan covered with a lid.

Next add the risotto rice to the pan and cook for a minute or two, make sure the rice is evenly covered in the butter/onion mixture.
    At this stage you can start to add the stock to the rice, add a ladle or two and stir well, I also add the sliced leeks at this stage. Stir the risotto frequently until the stock has been absorbed. Once absorbed, add another ladle of hot stock. Repeat this process until all of the stock has been used. I add the peas and haddock into the risotto just before the last ladle of stock is added. The whole process should take about 20 mins and the rice should still be slightly "al dente".

Once all of the stock has been added stir in the creme fraiche and grated parmesan. Season to taste. Divide the risotto between two heated plates, grate some more parmesan on top and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Serve with some crusty bread and a salad...

You can change the ingredients around to suit whatever you have in the fridge, I sometimes use spinach instead of peas, and add some chopped chives at the end. Have also made it before with salmon.

Have taken step by step pics but cannot find my USB cable! Is there any way I can upload them without it? If I can't find it I'll buy a new one tomorrow and put pics up then!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sounds amazing! I can't wait to try this. I'm so far behind at the moment :(.

Does your computer have a slot for the memory card from your camera? If it does, you can upload them that way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

great, thanks i am going to replace the fish with asparagus:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've been meaning to

a. make risotto

and

b. start cooking fish

for a while now, so this is a good excuse for that.

One thing, I really don't liked smoked fish, can anyone recommend something else to go in instead? D'oh, just realised it says salmon in the OP.

Nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Check the box that came with your camera and see if there is an adaptor for plugging your memory card into your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Don't have an adapter to plug into the laptop :( will try get a new cable on my lunch break today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Altentop

Thanks
    This sounds really nice, haven't really done many risottos, looking forward to trying this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love risotto. I had a smoked haddock risotto recently in a restaurant that was overloaded with parmasan so I'd love to give it a go myself. I'll definitely be giving the recipe to my parents to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Don't cook a lot of fish and never cooked risotto so looking forward to trying this!

Is it a stupid question to ask where would I buy the fish?
    If so, I won't ask :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Looks like I know what Im having for dinner tomorrow yum sound delish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi dilemma

Made this when I got home and just had it now. It was delish!

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5758

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Don't cook a lot of fish and never cooked risotto so looking forward to trying this!

Is it a stupid question to ask where would I buy the fish?
    If so, I won't ask :o

Hi, I got mine in Nicky's Plaice in Howth but I'm sure any fishmongers would have it. You'd probably get some in tesco's too. Just try to get the undyed smoked fish, it's way nicer than the bright yellow stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i've just finished eating this and good christ was it tasty. way too morish though, ended up eating enough for two. i used smoked coalie instead, the fish people were fresh out of haddock. also added some mushrooms and peas. will definitely be making this again

before
    2C9DDDCB37094069A47D22AE4E33DBAD.jpg

after
    B3427B3684E543B39B4710A7E6001669.jpg

Just finished making this and thumbs up all round, usually make a mushroom risotto so this was a lovely change. Real comfort food. Will post photos later.

Probably be making this on Friday

but...
    foodaholic wrote: »
    Just finished making this and thumbs up all round, usually make a mushroom risotto so this was a lovely change. Real comfort food. Will post photos later.

is there any chance you'll let me have the recipe for this please, I bought Risotto Rice and porcini mushrooms ages ago but still haven't used them

i cant wait to friday to have this, the photos look great - i love risotto :)

Des I will pm it to you tomorrow

I made this last night and it was lovely! I've never made risotto before so was a bit nervous, but it was great. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I made this last night and it was amazing. My friend called over and he doesn't like rice but asked could he try some and he loved it.

The only slight changes I made were adding baby spinach and using the milk that I poached the fish in as a stock. I used stock too but added maybe 2 ladelfulls of the 'fish milk' (ha ha that sounds so gross!!).
    It was creamy and delicious. I ended up eating the lot which could have fed 2-3 people!

well, my boy just made this and its was divine.

he put asparagus in mine instead of the fish

and instead of haddock, he used cod, in his own but we are both nicely full and relaxed :):)

photos to follow

thanks dilemma

Yeah, it was delicious.

Thanks dilemma :)

DSCN2762.jpg?t=1270842591

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made this and forgot to comment! But it was lovely. My haddock was unsmoked, which may have resulted in a blander taste, but I'll try it with smoked the next time.

I had previously only tried risotto with mushroom (my fav!) and chicken, which wasn't great. Good way to make fish more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

longshanks wrote: »
    i've just finished eating this and good christ was it tasty. way too morish though, ended up eating enough for two. i used smoked coalie instead, the fish people were fresh out of haddock. also added some mushrooms and peas. will definitely be making this again

before
    2C9DDDCB37094069A47D22AE4E33DBAD.jpg

Have you got the same dishes as me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Damn this was tasty. Ate enough for 2! Thanks Dilemma.

Made it again tonight and it was fantastic! Used smoked coley because they didn't have haddock, used homemade stock, and left out the wine and peas. It really hit the spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

C1D26743EBC44B4FA8250AE01972D001-500.jpg

Made this today - was YUM!!! So different to anything I've ever made. Used smoked cod and was so so tasty.

Can risotto be reheated? (There was none left but could double up next time!)

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Altentop

Apparently rice isn't the best food to leave hanging around for too long as it is a very good source for bacterial growth. If you have rice leftovers they should be kept in the fridge and be used within 24 hours at the longest but best to eat it when freshly cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Only got round to making this at the weekend and it was beeeeeyooshifull. Seriously tasty.

My first time making risotto too. Will definitely be making this again and I'll be searching the webs for some other nice risotto recipes - or if anyone has any they could recommend it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers xxdilemmaxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Can risotto be reheated? (There was none left but could double up next time!)

I micro rice all the time for lunches in work and never have any problem.

I had this the next day too and it was lovely but it did dry out a little bit (even though I micro'd it with cling film over the bowl to keep some of the moisture in).

how do you mirco it frank (sounds like such a stupid question :o)

we had this last week and i froze the left overs - it wasnt very nice when i reheated it, it was kind of soggy and a bit greasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

OP listed wine in the ingredients but didn't use it in the recipe. I usually pour this in before the first ladel of stock. Just cook off the alcohol for a minute or so and then start with the stock and stirring. Adds a great flavour

Advertisement