Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic network query RE: Switches

Options
  • 05-04-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I currently have Eircom Broadband and I'm using a 4 port Netopia 3347 which was supplied by Eircom. I currently have my PC, Powerline adaptor and Printer connected which leaves one free port. I'd like to connect a number of other devices as well.

Is it as simple as running a standard CAT 5 or 6 cable to a Switch (like this) and connecting my other devices to the Switch?

Do I need any special cables between the 3347 and the Switch?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Yes, that should do the trick. No special cables should be needed for that switch (where it says "auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X)").

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You could probably shave some money off by getting one that wasn't gig ethernet and/or has less ports. (unless you think you'd have a future requirement for gig ethernet and more ports).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Go out and grab yourself a cheap unmanaged 5port or 8port switch speed well that depends on what do you with the devices attached to it.

Hook the switch up to one of the ports on your router and connect the remaining devices to the switch use either a standard cat5/6 cable.
    I needed more ports about two weeks ago and grabbed myself a 8port Gigabit Netgear prosafe switch and hooked my Stora and the QNap Nas and the PS3 to it and no issues and connected the switch to my Router.

I needed the Gigabit switch because my PS3 and NAS devices are all either doing a load of streaming or else looking after all the backups at home.

Decent switch will set you back around 30Euro's or so on Ebay/komplett ect they aren't to bad in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Mac daddy wrote: »
    and the PS3 to it and no issues and connected the switch to my Router.

I needed the Gigabit switch because my PS3 and NAS devices are all either doing a load of streaming or else looking after all the backups at home.

Are the NIC's in the PS3 and NAS gigabit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

They are indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement