Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Help?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Since TY in our school in the same as having your brain melted and doing nothing, I was wondering whether I should do a foreign exchange to Germany for the year? I'm fluent in German, and they have a good educational system, so I was thinking of doing it for a year. My parents might leave me go with a bit of sweet talking them :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shoesa

Well it's a good idea definitely, however would it be beneficial to you in any real way? Is it just a trip in disguise? Going abroad is really useful for gaining contacts and new experiences, but if you're just in school there anyway, won't it almost be the same thing?

I really thought that TY would be a waste of my time too, but I was very glad I did it in the end because I made friends and learnt a lot of non-academic related education. School is useless for the real world, so is college, so it might be worthwhile doing the mind-numbing TY and finding a job pushing trollies after school. It's also a year to chance learning a new skill. My friend only started learning guitar in TY, teaching himself, now he's in 3rd year music in UCC.

Having said that, my best friend skipped TY, took on a job, got into college a year ahead of his friends and is on placement in Microsoft. :D

Make a list of all the REAL reasons you want to go abroad and see what merit they have. I'd say go for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'd say go for it! You can go to a boarding school in Germany. A few people in my year are doing this at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

earwax_man wrote: »
    Since TY in our school in the same as having your brain melted and doing nothing, I was wondering whether I should do a foreign exchange to Germany for the year? I'm fluent in German, and they have a good educational system, so I was thinking of doing it for a year. My parents might leave me go with a bit of sweet talking them :rolleyes:

Go for it, I see taking TY as possibly the biggest mistake I have ever made regarding school(And this is coming from somebody who was on the mitch for about 2/5ths of 3rd year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yeah you should do it . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

I see taking TY as possibly the biggest mistake I have ever made regarding school.

i could not agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

i could not agree more

I continued on to 5th year. So glad I did. All of my friends did TY, they just bring in psps and go at them the whole day. It's actually sad the amount they do. A mixture of guidance, PE, and various half-assed subjects. To anyone who is thinking of doing TY: DON'T!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I continued on to 5th year. So glad I did. All of my friends did TY, they just bring in psps and go at them the whole day. It's actually sad the amount they do. A mixture of guidance, PE, and various half-assed subjects. To anyone who is thinking of doing TY: DON'T!

A bit harsh on TY :p it really depends on how your school does TY. Im lucky my school has a great transition year program, people I did not even talk to from 1st-3rd year I now get along with really well with from doing the modules, and ive only done the first week! Still so much to do!

Advertisement