Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Science Books

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

I hope to start science this September in Trinity.
    As far as I can tell the following books are recommended for Biology (BY1101, BY1102) and Chemistry(CH1101, CH1102) respectively:
    Biology with Mastering Biology (8th Ed) Campbell
    Chemistry - The Central Science (11th Ed)
    Chemistry - The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change (5th Ed) Silberberg
    Organic Chemistry (7th Edition) McMurry

I have all of these books in pdf format at the moment and plan on studying them in advance of starting the course to help me prepare, as I have been out of education for a number of years.
    What precise topics are covered in 1st Year Science so I can study the relevant chapters from the books?

Also, I plan on taking Mathematics (MA1S11 & MA1S12) too, but can`t find a list of recommended coursebooks for these subjects. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hi, I'm just finishing up JF science myself ;
    Chemistry - The Central Science (11th Ed)
    Chemistry - The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change (5th Ed) Silberberg

We've tended to use Chemistry & Chemical Reactivity by Kotz as opposed to those texts. Although I've seen these too recommended as well by lecturers. You've got the right biology and organic chemistry texts anyway.
    What precise topics are covered in 1st Year Science so I can study the relevant chapters from the books?
    Chemistry:
    -General Chemistry (LC material)
    -Electronic Chemistry; Quantization, Quantum Numbers, Lewis Acids/Bases
    -Physical Chemistry; Chemistry of Matter, Thermodynamics, Kinetics.
    -Organic Chemistry; Majority of Mc Murry
    -Inorganic Chemistry; Chemistry of the Elements; specific group behaviour

Biology:
    -Molecular World: Cell Biology and Biomolecules
    -Genetics
    -Developmental Biology
    -Microbiology
    -Animal Diversity
    -Plant Development
    -Biodiversity and Ecology
    Also, I plan on taking Mathematics (MA1S11 & MA1S12) too, but can`t find a list of recommended coursebooks for these subjects. Any ideas?

I did the full maths course for the first few weeks of the year but dropped it because I found it difficult and was taking away from my other subjects.
    You use this and this for first semester anyway.
    The second semester's supposed to be easier from what my friends tell me.

Advertisement