Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more for me, thank you!

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, this is going to a longish post but I hope you don't mind, its just really my thoughts.

While I wouldn't say I'm alcoholic, I do binge but to be honest, after last night, it has made me take stock and realize that this isn't the way I want things to go on anymore. Hell, I only started drinking regularly when I was 21 ( I'm 24 on Friday ) , by my own choice, not peer pressure. Even then, it was only once a week, still once a week is too much for me now!

I always told myself it would only be a temporary thing and I feel that period should now come to an end. I don't want to go down that slippery route, especially considering I've seen what it can do to family members!

Doesn't help I'm an introvert and what they say is right about alcohol giving people confidence. Man, talk about giving people a false sense of security!

Will it stop me from going out? No but from now on, I won't be drinking alcohol. I don't want to and I really hope I'm being honest to myself today.

Also, I generally hate this Irish drink culture, that if your not drinking, your not enjoying yourself! I mean, what the hell? Doesn't help that generally speaking, there is very little else for people to do besides going to the pub!

I also have memories of pretty much all of my friends from school thinking their idea of fun on a Friday night is to go bushing! Back then, I didn't drink and generally the idea of hiding in dodgey places drinking is NOT my idea of fun! Yeah, a lot of lonely nights as a teenager as a result.

So, thats just me and my thoughts. I'll probably say it publicly on Facebook tomorrow about me giving up drinking. I look forward to a brighter future without its influence in my life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I generally hate this Irish drink culture, that if your not drinking, your not enjoying yourself!
    More annoying is that they think the opposite is true:
    If you are drinking, it's impossible to not be an amazing amount of fun

Advertisement