Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degrees being recognised outside europe

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

2 of my mates who study at maynooth say that the tallaght honours degree is not recognised in america but the maynooth 1 is. is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

College degree is a college degree. Doesn't matter where you take it - they wouldn't have it so a degree wasn't recognised; that's just a waste of time.

Some of the bigger colleges just like to think they're more important because if anything maybe the name of their college would be recognised, but I'd call bull**** on that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed they are all accredited by Hetac/fetac so he's talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I have nothing else to add except that all of this UCD/Trinners/etc is better than IT's is rubbish. A lot of employers prefer graduates from IT's over traditional Universities because they are able to slip into the work force much easier than uni grads because their work is more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Teferi wrote: »
    I have nothing else to add except that all of this UCD/Trinners/etc is better than IT's is rubbish. A lot of employers prefer graduates from IT's over traditional Universities because they are able to slip into the work force much easier than uni grads because their work is more practical.
    True

and IT's have smaller classes, so students can have a better one-to-one relationship with teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

mrDerek wrote: »
    2 of my mates who study at maynooth say that the tallaght honours degree is not recognised in america but the maynooth 1 is. is this true?

read this link
    http://www.it-tallaght.ie/FullTimeCourses/Management/Name,17342,en.html

"Recognised in Europe
    Membership of the Professional Body"

Does that mean this degree is only recognised in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

kildare9 wrote: »
    read this link
    http://www.it-tallaght.ie/FullTimeCourses/Management/Name,17342,en.html

"Recognised in Europe
    Membership of the Professional Body"

Does that mean this degree is only recognised in Europe?

OK - as stated above all degrees are vetted by HETAC and awarded by whatever college you studied at... So it's recognised anywhere in the world.

The Europe focus in that link is mainly due to the fact that the language options are all European Languages. That and a lot of students on these type of courses make use of Erasmus programmes for studies abroad in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

I cant even get my degree recognised here!
    i just been told by my company that they didn't consider my 1.1 MSc from tallaght IT is considered by them to be up to the same standard as an honours degree from a university. They are an american multinational pharma company. so frustrated to see all my hard work dismissed like that - wonder why i bothered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I cant even get my degree recognised here!
    i just been told by my company that they didn't consider my 1.1 MSc from tallaght IT is considered by them to be up to the same standard as an honours degree from a university. They are an american multinational pharma company. so frustrated to see all my hard work dismissed like that - wonder why i bothered

I'd have serious issue with that, You have a level 9 award, a honours degree is level 8. Yours is superior end of. The person making the decision obviously went to smurfit :rolleyes:

I'd have serious issue with that, You have a level 9 award, a honours degree is level 8. Yours is superior end of. The person making the decision obviously went to smurfit :rolleyes:

I've also a H.Dip and a B.Eng, all from ITs but still aint as "good" as a UCD degree apparently! I wouldn't mind so much if it was just one persons opinion but she been backed by our HR dept! Its a major pharma company i work for

. They are an american

There's your trouble...I'd tell them where to stick it if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Sickpuppy if you have the job does it matter? i understand where you are coming from it must be soul destroying but if you have gotten the job you applyed for!

There are/where some degrees in IT tallaght that were not recognised as actual equivalent degrees to other IT's Uni's but this as far as i am aware is solely because they are/where new courses and had yet to be approved by the governing body, I think as far as hetac are concerened once the correct levels of work are carried out on the course then thats what discerns a level 7,8 degree. But as far as international recognition it is down to the goverening body of you said discipline eg; Engineers Ireland and then science and medical bodys.
    I could be wrong but that is what i was led to believe.

I've also a H.Dip and a B.Eng, all from ITs but still aint as "good" as a UCD degree apparently! I wouldn't mind so much if it was just one persons opinion but she been backed by our HR dept! Its a major pharma company i work for

As it's a multinational it's not too surprising they probably have blinkers limited to UCD,TCD and DCU. In saying that I'll probably do a masters next year from UCD/TCD, the name does open doors, but a degree from DIT/ITT/LIT/GMIT is still the same as UCD etc.

in fairness i am aware other american pharma companies have a lot of respect for ITT dublin awards - whyat in grangecastle for one. This is just a irish snobbyness thing i suspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The funny thing about it is Maynooth is no better than Tallaght. They like to think they are posh, but they aren't at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Osu wrote: »
    The funny thing about it is Maynooth is no better than Tallaght. They like to think they are posh, but they aren't at all.
    Ah now, Maynooth is a great uni and a great place to go out! Back on topic, does this mean that most ITT students will have to do a year in UCD, NUIM etc to get a job?

Ah now, Maynooth is a great uni and a great place to go out! Back on topic, does this mean that most ITT students will have to do a year in UCD, NUIM etc to get a job?

the "preferred" universities in my place is UL, DCU and UCD...nice "middle class" universities ya know not like those snobs in TCD, boggers in maynooth, hippies in galways, unintelligible in cork and the great unwashed in all the IoTs ;)

In the current economy you could have a masters from an ivy league college and still not have a job. I'll muddle along wherever I can, I won't be bothered if I'm not accepted in a job because I don't have the right degree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Of course UCD and TCDs degrees are better, wake up!

Teferi wrote: »
    In the current economy you could have a masters from an ivy league college and still not have a job. I'll muddle along wherever I can, I won't be bothered if I'm not accepted in a job because I don't have the right degree...

no disagreement here- what annoyed me most was the least qualified and experienced person getting the job - no attack on the person meant - i'm sure she'll do a good job - it's the selection process that cut

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    Of course UCD and TCDs degrees are better, wake up!

Care to elaborate? Many, many IT companies take graduates from ITT, DIT etc. before Uni students because the work they do is far more practical than the abstract work you get in UCD, Trinners etc. so really your comment is rubbish hearsay. I fear you are a one post wonder though so I doubt you will see this.
    no disagreement here- what annoyed me most was the least qualified and experienced person getting the job - no attack on the person meant - i'm sure she'll do a good job - it's the selection process that cut

Yeah the selection process sounds dodgy. It's their loss anyway if they're taking the least qualified person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

the "preferred" universities in my place is UL, DCU and UCD...nice "middle class" universities ya know not like those snobs in TCD, boggers in maynooth, hippies in galways, unintelligible in cork and the great unwashed in all the IoTs ;)
    Thats very sterio-typical of you and quite frankly insults me.I go to an I.T and feel I should be allowed hold my own in the job market once I get my degree!:mad:

You haven't read the OP or thread then...

Thats very sterio-typical of you and quite frankly insults me.I go to an I.T and feel I should be allowed hold my own in the job market once I get my degree!:mad:

I was been sarcastic explaining what appears to the the atitude of my boss's . i'm very proud of my ITT dublin qualifications:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

I was been sarcastic explaining what appears to the the atitude of my boss's . i'm very proud of my ITT dublin qualifications:D
    Ok sorry I sort of jumped on you there:o.What do you have a degree in anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Osu wrote: »

I don't think any college is better - or worse - than any other in terms of degrees... It just depends on what you're interested in and what course you'd like to study.

If we're comparing facilities, then I'm sure a lot of universities / ITs have better ranges than ITT, but for me personally, I came here because it was the only place in Ireland that had the course I wanted to study.
    If I'd chosen to go to UCD or DIT, I wouldn't have been able to study the same modules!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Funny that, In my place I was hired because I got my degree from ITTD, From previous hires my boss said she noticed a consistency in the high levels of technical ability of ITTD Computing Grad's.

hobochris wrote: »
    Funny that, In my place I was hired because I got my degree from ITTD, From previous hires my boss said she noticed a consistency in the high levels of technical ability of ITTD Computing Grad's.

course there is the odd notable and honourable exception when it comes to bosses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madso

if its a fetac degree from itt or ucd its the same thing
    if the governing body (e.g. engineers ireland) accredit it its the same thing
    some companies wan't a brand name degree (Uni)
    some what a more practical hands on degree (ITs)
    but end of the day its a matter of how you sell yourself in your cv and the interview

madso wrote: »
    if its a fetac degree from itt or ucd its the same thing
    if the governing body (e.g. engineers ireland) accredit it its the same thing
    some companies wan't a brand name degree (Uni)
    some what a more practical hands on degree (ITs)
    but end of the day its a matter of how you sell yourself in your cv and the interview

i agree completely but to not even get the interview when you are more qualified and experienced than the person who got the job - but didn't go to the "right" college

• Advertisement
Advertisement