Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in being a Buddhist?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I've always been curious about this. With Christianity and Islam it takes over ones entire life,and makes one part of a tightly knit community, various sacraments.
    I suspect this may not quite be the case with Buddhism. Is it just like going to Yoga or Karate a couple of nights a week, meditate,have a chat with fellow buddhists and the odd retreat or is it somewhere in between,or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I only know a small minute bit about Buddhism, but its funny because I'd have exactly the opposite view of it!

From the impression I got from reading a bit about it, Buddhism seemed to me to be a way of life rather than a "religion" as such, and in that way, i presumed it becomes just as much a part of your life as any of the others.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will be along to fill us in soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

One aspect of Buddhism that I am aware of is to be mindful of every moment. So in a way it is present the entire time. But being aware of every moment isnt a 'Buddhist' thing. You can be aware of every second and not be Buddhist. This doesnt really do anything to answer ur question, just my 2 cents :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

You don't have to be a Buddhist to practice Buddhism.

Advertisement