Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need your opinions

Options
  • 05-04-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi lads! As someone with very little knowledge about cars, i would greatly appreciate any inputs from you.

I have a 00 reg Nissan Micra and I plan to avail of the scrappage scheme. I am not sure which of the following I would get: Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Suzuki Swift, or Toyota Yaris. All in their basic specs, 1.2 - 1.3L. I would be using it for work (20 miles daily).

What would be their rankings based reliability and fuel efficiency?

Thanks a million in advance.

jj73

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fiesta 1.25 Style is the best car on that list imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dont forget about the Renault Clio which in 5 door with metallic paint comes in at about €11,500 on the road with all scrappage allowances off ;)

Its 1.2, does 45mpg easy, can come with up to 5 years warranty and drives fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jj73

Thanks Henry Ford and Saab Ed.

I've read on some threads here re renaults not very reliable, what's your take on that Saab Ed?

Is it still true that Fords are not very fuel efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Yaris would probably be the most reliable and fuel efficent. and if you go with the 1.33 engine over the 1.0 you'll have stop/start technology and 100hp.

A 1.0 will be about 13.5k with metallic in 5dr. the 1.33 is a bit more than that.

That said, I'd be thinking:

Renault Clio
    Fiat Panda (think around 8k with metallic)
    Ford Fiesta
    Suzuki Swift 5dr 11.4k with metallic
    Kia Pro Cee'd for around 14k

whats your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Skoda fabia is worth a thought as well but the yaris would be the best to hold its value. New polo is very nice too. Small cars have come along a lot in years they look well and are reasonably safe as well

colm_mcm wrote: »
    whats your budget?

15K or less. Less would be better so I can use/add the remaining money for my 8yr-old daughter's little TKD gym budget. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Dont forget about the Renault Clio which in 5 door with metallic paint comes in at about €11,500 on the road with all scrappage allowances off ;)

Its 1.2, does 45mpg easy, can come with up to 5 years warranty and drives fantastic.

....and I'm sure Saab Ed will do you a fantastic deal on one!:P

jj73 wrote: »
    15K or less. Less would be better so I can use/add the remaining money for my 8yr-old daughter's little TKD gym budget. :D

Fiat Panda 1.1 is deffo worth a look.
    Clio also great value and seems to be pretty well built too.

Thanks very much for all the responses lads.

I will take all your suggestions on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like Fords myself, drive a boring old Focus, but I think the new Fiesta is quality. It looks similar to a Focus and great interior so that's what I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Boardwatcher

Ush1 wrote: »
    I like Fords myself, drive a boring old Focus, but I think the new Fiesta is quality. It looks similar to a Focus and great interior so that's what I'd go for.

Great interior??? I thought it looked cheap and plastics all over:eek:

what did you expect the interior to be made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Another one to think about
    SEAT Ibiza 1.2 Reference 5 Dr €12,400 inc. scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if its fun you want, i'd go for the swift

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Great interior??? I thought it looked cheap and plastics all over:eek:

Of course it's plastic. It has a nice layout and is neat & modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I've never like the interior in the new Fiesta either, would much prefer the interior in the new polo(But thats so boring looking on the outside..), the clio or even the swift!. Cant help but think though that the Fiesta or Polo would be the best buy, probably the resale of the ones mentioned so far too

Advertisement