Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydraulic Pump oil for Excavator

Options
  • 05-04-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am servicing my 2002 Fiat Kobelco excavator.

The hydraulic pump oil/lubricant is so low that it doesnt show on the diptick.

Someone told me that this pump is lubricated with gear oil. Is this right, and if so, what oil?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You sure you mean hydraulic pump? This is lubricated by the oil it is pumping. Not too familiar with the machine you are on about but most machines have a glass window in the side of the hydraulic tank for checking the level of the oil. This is normally done with all the rams half way, though it does depend on the machine.

I would think the dipstick you are on about is for the slew motor gearbox. AFAIK it is 80/90 gear oil that goes in there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right.

I have attached a series of small pics showing what I mean.

Is this the slew pump then?

The dip stick and pump serial #

Thanks again!

I was wrong. Thats not the slew pump. That is the main hyd pump. Not sure what the dip stick is checking. I'll see if I can find out for you today.

That'd be great thanks!

I won't be using the machine until I get this sorted. Last thing I need is expensive repairs!

• Advertisement

Added pic showing the square fill pug for this fluid.

I think that your original suggestion of 80/90 oil is right.

I was chatting a guy there and he is of the opinion that there must be a reduction gearbox on that pump.

He said you should be safe enough to put '30 oil' into it but I think you would be better off giving one of the dealers a ring and asking them. Most will tell you over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

ya that man is right there is a small gearbox on the hyd pump,not 100% sure what oil goes in it but i have a manual for machine at work and ill look tomorrow and post it on here tomorrow night........

Thanks to you both. Very much appreciated.

Hello all,

thanks for your help so far.

I found out the following info. The pump is the hydraulic pump.

I have attached a schematic showing the filler plug and dipstick.
    Just need to find out what oil goes in there.

FYI, for those who may be interested, I found the parts schematics and catalogues on the New Holland Website (they now own Fiat Kobelco).

You have to register, but that was simple. All of their product range schematics are available:

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/login.php?ReturnTo=.%2F%3F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

The part of the pump with the dip stick is gear oil (80/90),not much though,about half a pint will bring it back on the stick.It's not nice skining your knuckles trying to drain it again.;)

The picture is not overly clear of the sight glass for the hydraulic oil,it's either very full or very empty:).Have a gander at that as well.Good luck.

Hello everyone. Thank you all for your replies.

@ Nutty M, I will add 80/90 gear oil (slowly to avoid having to drain it).

Regarding the hydraulic oil, yes, that is low. I will be adding this too.

I have been told to have the rams half extended and add fluid until it is halfway between the sight glass marks.

Cheers,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

sorry so long to reply the oil u need is 10w30 oil and it will take .8 off a litre of oil in total.its the hyd pump reduction gearbox,thats the technical term for it in the manual anyhox:)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Never heard of 10 30w oil in that gearbox before,always and ever we've put 80 90 in it,from the first uho 63 to ex 100,120,135 to the current zx130's we have now. And never have had a problem with the pumps on anything,will ask in gaynors about it.I learn something new everyday :)

I was in Gaynors yesterday and asked. Was told 80/90 too.

I would imagine as long as it is wet and slippy it will do

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PNEE1

Be care with the hydraulic oil, some Kobelco diggers use 10w for the hydraulics, this is so the oil will lubricate the pump, as far as i know 46 doesnt really lubricate.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

if its ep 80/90 you should be able to smell the sh1t, it stinks. where as 30 or 10w30 wouldn't really have much of a smell at all but like has been said already once its yellowie brown and slippy its better than nothing

Advertisement