Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McNabb gets traded to the Redskins

Options
  • 05-04-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭

Story here

Bit of a shocker. He has been traded for number 2 pick. Trading to a divisional rival, that could come back to haunt to you.
    I think the Eagles fan treated him terribly considering what he did for that team. I wonder will they regret getting what they wanted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

cooker3 wrote: »
    Story here

Bit of a shocker. He has been traded for number 2 pick. Trading to a divisional rival, that could come back to haunt to you.
    I think the Eagles fan treated him terribly considering what he did for that team. I wonder will they regret getting what they wanted.

I think the EAGLES themselves have treated him badly in the past.
    Karma is a bitch though and I see them struggling for the next few years. They had a franchise QB, now their rivals do instead. Idiots. Enjoy life with Vick and Kolb, losers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The fact that they traded inside the division says only one thing to me:McNabb isnt a player that the Eagles have to fear. They wouldn't trade him inside the division if they believed he was still an elite QB.

I wouldn't bad mouth the Eagles as an organisation though like I'm sure many people will, we're in the same situation as the Packers were a few years ago with Rodgers and Farve. Sometimes you have to take a long term viewpoint on what will give consistent sucess and for the next ten years we are set at QB with Kolb. We have terrific young skill players and Kolb showed in his play last season that he has the potential to be a franchise QB. McNabb is without doubt the best QB the Eagles have ever had but you have to make unemotional decisions in the NFL and when you have a player like Kolb sitting on the bench you have to eventually cut him lose and give him the job. The Eagles took the decision because if Kolb had to spend another year as the back up he wouldn't have stayed on long term(I think this is the last year of his contract) and McNabb is no longer one of the top eight QBs in the NFL.

I'm said to see two of my favourite Eagles-Westbrook and now McNabb- leaving but sometimes changes like this are the best for the team long term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I wonder where Campbell will end up, the Redskins have also signed Grossman who I guess will be the back up.

I guess that the Redskins will go for an offensive tackle in the first round, they will need to make it a good one, with only one pick in the first two rounds now

I wonder where Campbell will end up, the Redskins have also signed Grossman who I guess will be the back up.

I guess that the Redskins will go for an offensive tackle in the first round, they will need to make it a good one, with only one pick in the first two rounds now

I'd say they will try and hold onto Campbell for another year and see if he can learn from McNabb, he shows potential at times so I wouldn't throw him on the scrap heap just yet. I'd say the 'Skins are delighted to not have to draft a QB-I don't rate Clausen half as high as most it seems and after Bradford there is a big drop off in the ability of the rest of the QBs in the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

davyjose wrote: »
    I think the EAGLES themselves have treated him badly in the past.
    Karma is a bitch though and I see them struggling for the next few years. They had a franchise QB, now their rivals do instead. Idiots. Enjoy life with Vick and Kolb, losers :pac:

I think we'll be fine with Vick and Kolb, it may not work out but getting a 2nd and potentially a 3rd or 4th for an ageing QB in the last year of his contract who has NEVER won a superbowl is a good deal imo. I would have preferred it not to be a division rival but if thats the best that was on offer so be it. I would imagine that the other offers from the Bills and Raiders were pretty much of equal value but that Donovan wanted to go to a team he felt was in a better position to challenge and the Birds went with his wishes.

Of course this just gives people who don't have a clue about philly sports a stick to beat the "ungrateful" fans with...

Thanks for the memories Donovan but it's defo time for the organization to move on. No we just need to get a head coach capable of making game day adjustments and we are golden...

Oh and a FO who will you know, spend some of their cash!!!

Eagles - The gold standard in mediocrity for ten years straight!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

IMO McNabb is still a top 8 QB. With McNabb I think the Eagles would have made playoffs, without him I don't think they have change tbh.

Great grab for the Redskins though.

It will be an even more interesting division next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

All is not lost for the Eagles. Kolb is a very competent QB. I actually like the chap.

Look at the 3 games Kolb played in Last season. He came on against Carolina when McNabb went out of the game and everyone feared the worst as Kolb struggled but his next 2 games as a starter were as good as any top end QB.

55/85 718yds 4 TDs 3Ints and 1 rushing TD.

They are not bad numbers for a guy who has been a back up for 4 seasons. For me I think he can step into McNabbs shoes and do well for them. Watching him play and you can see the chap has learned well and has some talent.

All is not lost for the Eagles. Kolb is a very competent QB. I actually like the chap.

Look at the 3 games Kolb played in Last season. He came on against Carolina when McNabb went out of the game and everyone feared the worst as Kolb struggled but his next 2 games as a starter were as good as any top end QB.

They are not bad numbers for a guy who has been a back up for 4 seasons. For me I think he can step into McNabbs shoes and do well for them. Watching him play and you can see the chap has learned well and has some talent.

I agree he's a competent quarter back who will keep improving, but there is a difference between a competent QB and a possible future hall of famer.

IMO McNabb is still a top 8 QB. With McNabb I think the Eagles would have made playoffs, without him I don't think they have change tbh

Why do you think the Eagles lose the chance to push for the playoffs this year?

Kolb showed in his two starts last year that he could become an elite QB and this move was made to solidify the franchise for the next ten years, we may struggle next season but personally I doubt it because he has learned the system over four years and will come in with one of the most explosive offences in the league. He can throw to Jackson, Maclin and Avant as well as having McCoy in the backfield and the O-line gives great protection, it's probably the best situation for new starter to come into.

I wouldn't have McNabb as an elite QB any longer, does anyone really believe that he is better than any of these players:
    Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethilsberger, Farve, Rodgers

Right now McNabb is a second tier QB, and will only get worse, along the lines of Schuab, Matt Ryan, Romo, Eli, Flacco, Cutler etc and with that being the case would anyone really believe that it is a bad decision to get a second rounder this year for him? He was an elite QB but the fact that the Eagles were consistently a very good team with him under centre but never a great team is always what most people will remember about his time with the team and would have been one of the deciding factors in letting him leave

I agree he's a competent quarter back who will keep improving, but there is a difference between a competent QB and a possible future hall of famer.

I don't think the Eagles are worried about whether or not McNabb makes the HOF. For them its a decision on moving forward and its obvious over the last 2 years McNabb wasn't their man. Who's to say Kolb doesn't get them to a Bowl. 1 full season for the chap will show us whether he is the right man for the job. To be honest from what I have seen so far I think he will do a good enough job for the Eagles, as good as McNabb.

As for McNabb getting out of a club that didn't appreciate him was the best move. But I don't think McNabb is a HOF to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I think the eagles will be fine without McNabb, they have a good young group of receivers who will help Kolb.

The Redskins though are woefully short at WR - maybe Shanahan will be going back to the Broncos to pick up Brandon Marshall to get him a target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

One of those games was against the Chiefs and they lost the other 48-22 to the Saints. I only saw some highlights of him so i can't really give an opinion of Kolb as a player but surely it's the results that count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Smart move by the eagles. McNabb has been given plenty of chances to win the big one with the eagles and at a certain point teams have to look to the future. Even if they don't make the play-offs next year it doesn't matter as long term this is the best thing for the franchise. They get a high 2nd round pick for a player who has 1 year left and is fairly old. I also don't think the eagles are good enough to win the superbowl with McNabb anyway so time to give Kolb some experience.

f1dan wrote: »
    One of those games was against the Chiefs and they lost the other 48-22 to the Saints. I only saw some highlights of him so i can't really give an opinion of Kolb as a player but surely it's the results that count

We are talking about his individual performances here not how well the team did that day. For a guy who has barely taken any snaps he showed in both those games he can perform. Sure the Eagles lost to the Saints and hammered the Chiefs but Kolb isn't the entire team. In fairness the Saints were sh1t hot and the Chiefs were diabolical but he gave 2 solid performances even if his team couldn't get it done defensively in the Saints game. There is only so much one man can do in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

IMO McNabb is still a top 8 QB. With McNabb I think the Eagles would have made playoffs, without him I don't think they have change tbh.

Dont know about that tbh. I'd rate the following ahead of him right now:

Brady
    Manning
    Rivers
    Brees
    Roethlisberger
    Favre
    Rodgers
    Schaub
    E. Manning

Archimedes wrote: »
    Dont know about that tbh. I'd rate the following ahead of him right now:

Brady
    Manning
    Rivers
    Brees
    Roethlisberger
    Favre
    Rodgers
    Schaub
    E. Manning

I wouldnt rate schaub or E. Manning better than him, although the others are. By the end of next season he may not be top 8 with some young lads improving again while he plateaus but as of now I do rate him top 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One thing I'll always remember about McNabb is the really bad time management in the final drive of the 2005 Superbowl - he blew it bigtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

have to say i'm sad to see him go but saying that we have to move on. McNabb is getting on in years now and I don't think we were ever gonna win a Super Bowl with him... and all those chokes in the conference games... Getting a 2nd rounder for him is a great deal and with Kolb ready I think it's a good deal overall.

THink the eagles might struggle a bit in some of the tighter games this year with Kolb's inexperience but come next season I think the Eagles will be just as strong as they ever were with McNabb

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭bobo the clown

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    have to say i'm sad to see him go but saying that we have to move on. McNabb is getting on in years now and I don't think we were ever gonna win a Super Bowl with him... and all those chokes in the conference games... Getting a 2nd rounder for him is a great deal and with Kolb ready I think it's a good deal overall.

THink the eagles might struggle a bit in some of the tighter games this year with Kolb's inexperience but come next season I think the Eagles will be just as strong as they ever were with McNabb

I totally agree. We'd never win it but wed prob make playoffs for next 4 years if he was their. With Kolb anything could happen but i have a feeling this year is a year to get to know the ropes . All the offense are young guys. But tthats not the problem because i Think they'll score a lot with jackson, maclin, celek, weaver, mccoy, bell and hopefully ingram. Its the defense where i see the problem.. The draft better be good from the eagles if we are to challenge in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Here is something which you would never guess. McNabb is 8 months younger than Peyton Manning. He seems about 10 years older!

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote: »
    Here is something which you would never guess. McNabb is 8 months younger than Peyton Manning. He seems about 10 years older!

He certainly looks older alright :D Definitely doesn't look like he came out of college ball a year later than Manning :D

As Indie said
    It's not the years, its the mileage

and I'd say there aren't a lot of players in the NFL who shipped as many massive hits as McNabb. Most were his own doing from scrambling but those hits add up. This isnt a comment to make it like Manning doesnt get hit by the way!

Well manning is very very very good at getting the ball away before getting hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Well manning is very very very good at getting the ball away before getting hit!

Which is what makes him so good. The man's been pretty indestructable for his career.

Advertisement