Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional C1 Licence

Options
  • 04-04-2010 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

High folks as above is it possible to just go and buy a provisional C1 licence without doing a theory test when you allready have a full car licence,and so be able to drive a camper over the 3500kg,do the camper insurers accept this when covering,,,thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

thetyreman wrote: »
    High folks as above is it possible to just go and buy a provisional C1 licence without doing a theory test when you allready have a full car licence,and so be able to drive a camper over the 3500kg,do the camper insurers accept this when covering,,,thanks in advance

Short answer - No. Theory test is compulsory.

But simple enough, its all common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Firstly, what you're after is a Learner Permit. They don't give out Provisional Licence anymore, because it gives people the impression they're qualified to drive once they get it.

If you want a C1 Licence, you'll have to do a C1 Driving Test (which isn't very common, because you get C1 included by doing the C test). For this you'll need to pass the C/C1 Theory Test and get a Learner Permit, then start taking lessons with an Approved Driving Instructor. The lessons are not compulsory, but highly recommended. Trust me, your car driving experience means nothing when you're doing your truck test.

There is some good news though. Because you wont be driving trucks commercially, you wont have to do the CPC. That'll save you €172 initially and at least €50 a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I thought I read somewhere on the forums that C and C1 was automatically given on your license prior to 93 or there abouts. And that you can get it back on your license with out a test.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

kadman wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere on the forums that C and C1 was automatically given on your license prior to 93 or there abouts. And that you can get it back on your license with out a test.

kadman

They used to give C1 but not C years ago. I don't know about getting it on your license without a test though??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

*Kol* wrote: »
    They used to give C1 but not C years ago. I don't know about getting it on your license without a test though??

My license was renewed 2 months ago, and it has a C1 category alright, never did a test for it though, and passed my car license test in 1981. As far as I know, some authorities took it off the old license on renewal, but you are entitled to ask for it to be replaced o your license. Its on boards here somewhere, but I cant seem to find it. somewhere on the camper section for the 3.5ton campers.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Richie15 wrote: »
    Firstly, what you're after is a Learner Permit. They don't give out Provisional Licence anymore, because it gives people the impression they're qualified to drive once they get it.

If you want a C1 Licence, you'll have to do a C1 Driving Test (which isn't very common, because you get C1 included by doing the C test). For this you'll need to pass the C/C1 Theory Test and get a Learner Permit, then start taking lessons with an Approved Driving Instructor. The lessons are not compulsory, but highly recommended. Trust me, your car driving experience means nothing when you're doing your truck test.

There is some good news though. Because you wont be driving trucks commercially, you wont have to do the CPC. That'll save you €172 initially and at least €50 a year.

OK, So if i do the C1 theory test and pass do i get a C1 learners permit,and if so will the Insurance co insure me on a camper that is over 3500kg with a C1 learner permit,,,,,or do i have to do the actuall driveing tesr ?/

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

OK, So if i do the C1 theory test and pass do i get a C1 learners permit,and if so will the Insurance co insure me on a camper that is over 3500kg with a C1 learner permit,,,,,or do i have to do the actuall driveing tesr ?/

Yes, when you do the C/C1 Theory Test (it's the same thing, not two separate tests) you can apply for a C and/or C1 Learner Permit, provided you pass a medical. Then you can take lessons and sit a C or C1 Driving Test and get a Driving Licence.

I don't know if you can get camper insurance with a Learner Permit. I can't imagine so, since they wont cover you if you're under 25.

But don't forget, if you've a Learner Permit you must be accompanied by someone who's held a full licence in the same category for two years, and you can't drive abroad (including up North). This is because getting a Learner Permit does not mean you're qualified to drive, it just means you're allowed learn to drive each category.

Advertisement