Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points in England For med School

Options
  • 04-04-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

How many points do i need to get to study medicine in england or anywhere eles for that matter.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Hey there!

Points are the least of your worries for med school in the UK. Most places require 6 A's at LCHL to be even considered.

But that's the easy part!:eek:

After that you gotta sit the UKCAT (which is just like the HPAT but you get less time) or the BMAT (if you're applying for the very prestigious unis).

After that again you have to write a personal statement highlighting why you're suitable for medicine, basing your assertions on past medical/healthcare/volunteering experience. It also helps to be captain of your county hurling team or play a musical instrument or something extra curricular like that.

Then you get a teacher to write you a reference saying how great you are.

Then if you've jumped through all these loopholes you may be called for an interview.

If the interview goes well, you get a place.

It's a very tough system though. I didn't get any interviews and of the roughly twenty or so who I that applied med in the UK, two people got places (one, her dad was an academic in England and another guy got one (his parents went to the said med school and he knew exactly how the school's selection process worked precisely).

It's tough. If you want to do med, you owe it to yourself to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The application process begins in October as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Hey there!

Points are the least of your worries for med school in the UK. Most places require 6 A's at LCHL to be even considered.

But that's the easy part!:eek:

After that you gotta sit the UKCAT (which is just like the HPAT but you get less time) or the BMAT (if you're applying for the very prestigious unis).

After that again you have to write a personal statement highlighting why you're suitable for medicine, basing your assertions on past medical/healthcare/volunteering experience. It also helps to be captain of your county hurling team or play a musical instrument or something extra curricular like that.

Then you get a teacher to write you a reference saying how great you are.

Then if you've jumped through all these loopholes you may be called for an interview.

If the interview goes well, you get a place.

It's a very tough system though. I didn't get any interviews and of the roughly twenty or so who I that applied med in the UK, two people got places (one, her dad was an academic in England and another guy got one (his parents went to the said med school and he knew exactly how the school's selection process worked precisely).

It's tough. If you want to do med, you owe it to yourself to apply.
    You must be joking me. am thinking of applying but only have 4 Higher Lvl subjects i haven't a chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/faqs/closingdates/faq1

Deadline for Medicine in UK closed in October I'm afraid.

straight_As above has pretty much all the detail you need.
    Would imagine that only having 4 Higher Level subjects would probably have ruled you out anyway I'm afraid.
    Best think you can do now is keep with it for this year, do the best that you can and maybe think about repeating with more Hons if you really want to do Medicine? Or alternatively do another course, get a 2H1 in it and apply as a mature student in Ireland using GAMSAT.
    Lots of information on that in this forum

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

Advertisement