Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding VRT on an import camper?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying and importing a camper van from the UK or Europe.

As its just myself and i haven't a whole pile of cash, i have been looking at 2 berth campers.

The thing is that i don't want to go paying loads of VRT. It looks like the camper i'll be getting will be 2 berth and under the 3500 weight.

I'm just wondering if i buy a camper with a pop top roof will i be able to classify the van under some other category like commercial as it will be under the minimum camper van height.

I'm trying to pay the least amount of VRT to the goverment as possible so any other suggestions would be welcome.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

How important is the weight? If you've got a C1 licence and don't mind going a bit over the 3500kg gross, you're grand. Get one over 3000kg unladen and the VRT is a flat rate of €50. But the trouble is, besides the licence, you've got weight restrictions when driving, hassle with the DOE, you need a weight plate, reflective side markings, speed limiter, tachograph etc. Well it's all a bit up in the air, you technically don't need them but if they're there they've to be working, very complicated and better off keeping away from it.

As far as I know the only way to save money on a sub-3T 'van is to get a cheep one, as the rate (13.5% I think?) is based on the open market selling price (OMSP).

One more option: It's difficult and unrealistic, but possible, to be 3T unladen and 3.5T Gross. But that 500kg includes all your gear, including water, food, toys, clothes and passengers. Don't know about the driver, I seem to remember one definition allowing 75kg for a driver but I'm not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You probably won't get a vehicle fitted with camping gear recognised as a commercial, due to there being no space left for actually loading something.

As it won't pass for a "motorcaravan" due to the pop-top, the only category left is that of private vehicle which carries a much higher VRT.

Oh right, I missed the part about it being too small to be a camper.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thanks for the replies.:)

What about importing a van thats had a home conversion done but was originally commercial class, there seem to be a lot of VW T4 and T5's that have had this done in the UK.

Where would i stand with something like that?

Another problem is i don't want a big heavy van thats going to cost me a bomb on fuel.

Could i also import the van, not bother declaring it and keep it in storage til i want to escape from here......or would the government's lackeys catch me on the way out?

When i get back, stick it back in storage. I'm pretty much done working and living in this country anyway for the next 10 years with the way things are.

Thanks and regards.

Doesn't matter how it came out of the factory, what matters is how it is now. Not how it is officially classed in its country of registration, but how it's defined by Irish standards.
    • Cooker
    • Bed
    • Table
    • Sink
    • >1.8m roof
    = camper!

• Advertisement

FlashD wrote: »
    Could i also import the van, not bother declaring it and keep it in storage til i want to escape from here

Now, now ..that would be evading tax and illegal ...and we do not discuss illegal activities here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

No it wouldnt if he didnt drive it on a public road. Plenty of people import cars for track use etc & never pay the VRT on them, all above board.

hiding it in a shed and then driving it out of the country again isn't track use though :D

BTW, OP, if tou wanted to leave the country anyway, why would buy a camper here in the first place when there's much more choice elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Richie15 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how it came out of the factory, what matters is how it is now. Not how it is officially classed in its country of registration, but how it's defined by Irish standards.
    • Cooker
    • Bed
    • Table
    • Sink
    • >1.8m roof
    = camper!

I'm wondering though how they (government) will know whats in my van, do they come out to check what's fitted in the back?

If windows are also fitted into the back of an imported commercial, is that also then classed as a camper?
    BTW, OP, if tou wanted to leave the country anyway, why would buy a camper here in the first place when there's much more choice elsewhere

I'm not looking for a camper in Ireland, i'm looking for a camper outside the country and hoping to hold it in Ireland until i go travelling in Europe May-August.

I'm planning to leave Ireland in August for Asia for a year or 2, will probably return to the UK then to study / work for 2 years +.

While i'm away in Asia i was planning to store the camper in Ireland on the original UK plates. Then when i go to live in the UK 2 years down the line I will have a UK address so i can say that i don't need to declare the camper for VRT in Ireland. Does all this sound plausible or a bit of a mess?:D

Do the Irish customs keep records of all the car/van regs coming in/out of the country?

Will they know that i had a English reg camper in Ireland for 2 years?

Will it make a difference that it was off the road and not being driven illegally?

I would appreciate help/advise on this, I don't want to be sinking my hard earned bucks into some pit or worse .....watching other people taking my earned bucks and letting them sink it into a pit, a lot of that going on in this country lately.

Regards.

FlashD wrote: »
    Does all this sound plausible or a bit of a mess?:D

Tbh, it's a bit of a mess alright, quite illegal and if I may add, quite pointless also.

Also it's against the forum rules to discuss tax evasion :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement