Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dent in LP Neck.

Options
  • 04-04-2010 3:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well i am officially an idiot. I some how managed to let my Edwards LP slip out of my grasp onto the corner of my blues deluxe. As the title suggests i've managed to leave an annoying dent in the finish on the neck, which is annoying when playing. Here's a pic:
    109778.jpg

So what do yee think, is there a cheap repair option? Really don't have the funds to go to Derek Nelson at the mo.

God damn it....:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Is it poly or nitro finished?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dord wrote: »
    Is it poly or nitro finished?

It's a thick poly finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers, i think i'll give that a go. I have a poly finish ancient aria strat that's been butchered for parts to practice on. If it works out well on that i'll move onto the real thing. I think i'll have to take pics along the way with this one.

Haha, thats just what I was gonna recommend. I've done it before and it worked perfectly. It might not look the prettiest afterwards but you can get it looking a bit better than it is and feeling smooth. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

You is lucky it didn't snap all together.

Then i would cry with you.

You is lucky it didn't snap all together.

Then i would cry with you.

Being honest, it didn't seem like it was that bad a fall, i thought i was going to get away with it until i started to play and noticed it. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how i get on.
    Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Just to add to the posts on the Fender forum. While a lot of people would recommend using Superglue and sanding it down I've always been too scared to takes sandpaper anywhere near a guitar for fear of making it worse.

Personally, I've had fantastic results using Superglue, nail polish remover and T-cut. Slightly overfill the ding with superglue then gently feather it down with nail polish remover and cotton buds till its nearly smooth. This may take a few tries to get right but the nail polish remover will not effect the surrounding poly finish so it's not a problem trying it multiple times. Once you get it smoothish you can use T-cut to polish it out and blend it into the surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wolfyuksa

If its affecting you while you play then super glue does work with poly finishes to fill the gap and smooth it out. But if it's just a cosmetic thing leave it, it adds character and scars on guitars are cool man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Wow as the other people said, your lucky, so many horror stories out their. I myself dropped my lp the other week and thankfully was only left with a little mark.

• Advertisement

Ross Mc wrote: »
    Wow as the other people said, your lucky, so many horror stories out their. I myself dropped my lp the other week and thankfully was only left with a little mark.

Lucky indeed.
    Just a quick update, i did some testing with the glue on the old strat body to see if i could perfect my technique before proceeding. The first test went pretty bad, i was too impatient with the glue and went poking at it when it wasn't dry. The second attempt was better. I'll give it a couple more tries before moving onto the real thing.
    Cheers fellas.

The trick i've found is to do it in stages. Basically drop fill it with miniscule drops of super glue about 20-30 mins apart. Leave it for a while after the last one (which should be raised over the surrounding surface). Then later when its dry sand it down but with a very fine sandpaper and light touch. Once you get it flat with the surrounding area you can use something like T-cut to buff it out a bit.

Dord wrote: »
    The trick i've found is to do it in stages. Basically drop fill it with miniscule drops of super glue about 20-30 mins apart. Leave it for a while after the last one (which should be raised over the surrounding surface). Then later when its dry sand it down but with a very fine sandpaper and light touch. Once you get it flat with the surrounding area you can use something like T-cut to buff it out a bit.

Cool. My problem was that the "drops" of glue were too large, and meant that it didn't set evenly, hence the mess. You're right, i need the tiniest amount of glue and do it in stages rather than trying to go too fast. Will give it a go tomorrow if i get a chance. Cheers Dord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It might be worth trying a new tube of superglue. The "water-ier" the better.
    Stew-Mac sell glues that come in a range of viscosities but I wouldn't recommend paying their prices plus shipping.

Advertisement