Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bulk buy plants?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi..
    I have a large border which will consume a fair number of herbatious perrennials & shrubs, probably 200 in total.
    Buying these from a regular garden centre would be expensive... Is there anywhere I can go with a shopping list and bulk buy at better prices ??

Thanks..
    bam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

http://www.coilltenurseries.ie/

I don't know what part of the country you're from so I can't help you with local advice.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jb2007

i need to get some myself and was thinking mail order plug plants fromt the likes of suttons.co.uk

not sure what local options there are, if you can buy plugs and bring them on yourself it should be more cost effective ..

any ideas ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I always find nurseries much, much cheaper than garden centres. Check if theres a nursery near you. The more you buy the bigger the discount too.

artieanna wrote: »
    I always find nurseries much, much cheaper than garden centres. Check if theres a nursery near you. The more you buy the bigger the discount too.
    True,
    There's a super nursery near me, (not giving names because that would be advertising). If I spend more than €100 they unofficially give me 10% off, over €200 they give me 20% off, over €400 they give me 30% off etc. It's all about buying in BULK at that point.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

johno2 wrote: »
    True,
    There's a super nursery near me, (not giving names because that would be advertising). If I spend more than €100 they unofficially give me 10% off, over €200 they give me 20% off, over €400 they give me 30% off etc. It's all about buying in BULK at that point.

johno
    Maybe you could PM me the name if you wouldn't mind..

• Advertisement

www.Gardens4you.ie
    Has anybody ordered from them? they're not Irish as the domain would suggest but their range is reasonable and the prices are attractive...
    Must admitt I came across the site last night and compulsively made a test order to see if they are a good supplier.. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

There is a large garden nurseries in staplestown, north kildare. If that is any addition. Definitely better value than garden centres if you are buying in bulk, and the plants are still brought on that bit from plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

future forests, they are in west cork, google is your friend, their stuff is good and strong, also you have a choice as to delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would also recommend http://www.vanderwel.ie/ who actually supply some of the coillte nurseries around the Leinster area.

flutered wrote: »
    future forests, they are in west cork, google is your friend, their stuff is good and strong, also you have a choice as to delivery
    Indeed I use them regularly, by the end of spring I'll have planted about 600 from them, shrubs and trees...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tulleys Nurseries is the place to go.You can buy allmost anything there and as much or as little as you want.

I think its actually the biggest nursery in Ireland.

I've taken a quick look at some of the prices on Tullys website. They might be big and they might have a great selection of stuff but they are not cheap.

johno

Hi again..
    Well the plants arrived and I was delighted with them..
    I had put in a decent order and they all arrived well packaged and in good condition... Some were small plants in plastic containers, some were bare root and some were bulbs..
    I had to keep them packaged after they arrived as the frosts here last week were down to -4 overnight.
    I planted them over the weekend, and now the waiting starts...

Not sure what to expect from bare root herbatious plants as I've never planted them this way before... am I likely to get flowers in the first year?

Overall cost is about €0.50c per plant

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

tommycahir wrote: »
    I would also recommend http://www.vanderwel.ie/ who actually supply some of the coillte nurseries around the Leinster area.

+1 I visited here about 2 weeks ago they have great range.

Remember don't fill the border all at once.
    If you put in perennials such as delphiniums, hosta’s, Shasta daisy’s, Michaelmas daisy’s, Day lilies, irises this year these can all be divided next year. This will help keep down your costs.

lucylu wrote: »
    +1 I visited here about 2 weeks ago they have great range.

Remember don't fill the border all at once.
    If you put in perennials such as delphiniums, hosta’s, Shasta daisy’s, Michaelmas daisy’s, Day lilies, irises this year these can all be divided next year. This will help keep down your costs.

Thanks, I know that, it's just that we're having a bash at the house next summer and I'm trying to get a good mature look in some of the beds at the front of the house, then I'll divide and create other beds...

Advertisement