Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gp2x Wiz or a PSP

Options
  • 03-04-2010 10:59pm

I was planning on buying a Wiz (years ago I had a Gp32 blu) but I saw a post here where someone said the PSP was the "king of emulation". Would I be better off buying a PSP? If so is there a beginner's guide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Speaking from someone who hasn't really tried Emulation on the PSP but uses a GP2X Wiz, I would say PSP
    The GP2X Wiz is OK for basic games, games get really laggy if there's anything happening on the screen
    Its very small and the controls are hard to play with

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Definitely go for a PSP. Gorgeous screen and lots of emulators available for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I couldn't recommend the PSP. The resolution on all the games is off due to the screen resolution and the controls are rotten. Then again I'm very picky when it comes to emulation. I never used a GP2X.

Definitely go for a PSP. Gorgeous screen and lots of emulators available for it.
    Is there a best model to go for in terms of getting homebrew running on it? I've seen people talking about "phat" psps and slim models. I've seen mention of different firmwares as well but I was never really interested until now and did not pay much attention. Any help or advice much appreciated!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think the PSP slim (2000 series - Not the newest ones) would be the best one as you can run ChickHen on them so no custom firmware required.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

What's the DS like for emulation? Better or worse than the PSP?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,588 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What's the DS like for emulation? Better or worse than the PSP?

Well it doesn't have the horsepower or the big screen of the psp, but it still does Snes, Megadrive and Nes pretty well. Someone even managed to get a Neo Geo emulator running Metal Slug on it. I gave it a go at it worked really well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I use my psp for emulation. Runs Snes, Mega Drive and CPS1 and CPS2 games really well.

I think the PSP slim (2000 series - Not the newest ones) would be the best one as you can run ChickHen on them so no custom firmware required.

just to add a couple more rules
    A firmware version of 5.03 or lower is required. If you have anything higher, you can’t install chickHen.
    you must not have motherboard version ta-088v3(late models of 200x) or ta-090v2(300x)

to check what motherboard you have see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pinball_ireland

And i just happen to be selling my one, on adverts comes with stuff im not to mention but you get the idea.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=210068&cat=134

Its fully tricked out as they say

Seems im not allowed to sell it on adverts so have to keep it unless something happens

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend the PSP. The resolution on all the games is off due to the screen resolution and the controls are rotten. Then again I'm very picky when it comes to emulation. I never used a GP2X.
    You can change the settings so it displays 4:3.
    The controls are 100% better than the GP2x which is far to small to actually use, sold mine yesterday online.
    The problem I'm having with the psp is getting games to run at the correct speed(mame and SNES is what I'm currently setting up)
    N64 is a lost cause, wayyyyyy to slow.
    Gameboy is perfect :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

N64 is a lost cause, wayyyyyy to slow.

My phat can play Mario 64 perfectly :confused:

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    My phat can play Mario 64 perfectly :confused:

Havent tried Mario 64 yet
    I'm a mario kart, golden eye, waverace man meself so working on them but mario kart is unplayable unless you drop the sound and a lot of fps

After receiving my new psp last Wednesday and playing around all week on the bus I have to say
    SNES Emulation is absolutely brilliant, far better than the GP2X-Wiz.
    Still trying to iron out a few problems with my roms in mame4all which worked ok on the gp2x-wiz. Also trying to get sound in sync with video on some games.
    http://pspslimhacks.com/ has all the emulators, files and info needed for the PSP

Advertisement