Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems switching to Ulster?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of switching to Ulster Bank from Halifax. When I switched away from them 2 years ago TO Halifax, I had absolutely no problems and all went seemlessly.

I was supposed to have been switched on the 1st. I got my visa debit card/atm card prior to this - and a week later, I got a text to say that it had been activated. I decided I would change the pin but the error message from the atm machine said the card 'had expired' & 'wasnt activated'. Got on the phone to UB - they said they would activate it within 15 minutes. I tried it a day later - same problem.
    My wages didn't go into Halifax account on the 1st - presumably they are in my UB account. The rest of my funds are still sitting in my Halifax account and I still have access to it.

Anyone out there who has had similar issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I haven't had the problems you have had - I activated my card in branch and changed the pin immediately in the ATM outside. I will say that the whole process has been quite slow though - it's been three weeks now (granted we had Paddy's day and good Friday during that period), but I still haven't received all necessary documentation from them.

My first standing order from my new account is due on Monday (so probably Tuesday now), so I'll see if that goes through without any hitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Well, looks like they didn't activate the card when I rang up the first time but they did on the second call so all working ok now. They haven't transferred over my Halifax balance - how long do they leave the two accounts open I wonder....?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Just like OP, switched from UB to Halifax and am now switching back. Not very impressed with UB this time, but have been good in the past.
    I closed my UB current account about 10 months ago, signed the forms in the branch and handed the card back, and when I rang a few weeks ago to see about opening a new account to switch back from halifax, my old account was still open, still online and they assumed I still had a card. They sent me a new Debit card and told me the old pin would work, which it didn;t and ten days later a new pin arrived.
    I can't wait to try sorting DD and SO's, just as well I have plenty of time until halifax close!

My UB account & Card work now but the balance from my Halifax account has not been transferred over. I assumed that this would definitely have happened by this morning. I still have access to Halifax online banking.

What are other peoples experiences with this? Does the complete switchover take a little longer? I know with the UB->Halifax switch, it was all done on the day - all funds were transferred over and UB account closed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Halifax have quite a backlog, if you're waiting on them to switch the funds.

I'd do it myself tbh.

• Advertisement

Well, they transferred over funds but left €100 behind? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Halifax have quite a backlog, if you're waiting on them to switch the funds.

I'd do it myself tbh.

This is right. The delay in switching accounts is often caused by Halifax because UB cannot finalize your account until they hear back from Halifax switching team. This is usually a couple of working days, but...given that every single current account customer is trying to switch in the same period it's cause backlogs of up to 10 workings days.
    I handled the switch myself. i.e. Just opened a new UB current account. got the card. activated and changed pin etc all within 4 working days. No problems. I think using the "switching service" at a time like this is not the best idea. Unless you have 20+ direct debits and simply cannot handle it on your own.
    I have also noticed a problem trying to move my money from Halifax to my new UB account. Every transfer is being flagged for "extra security checks". Again, this is probably to do with the vast numbers of people moving money out.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

I am in the process of switching to Ulster Bank from Halifax. When I switched away from them 2 years ago TO Halifax, I had absolutely no problems and all went seemlessly.

I was supposed to have been switched on the 1st. I got my visa debit card/atm card prior to this - and a week later, I got a text to say that it had been activated. I decided I would change the pin but the error message from the atm machine said the card 'had expired' & 'wasnt activated'. Got on the phone to UB - they said they would activate it within 15 minutes. I tried it a day later - same problem.
    My wages didn't go into Halifax account on the 1st - presumably they are in my UB account. The rest of my funds are still sitting in my Halifax account and I still have access to it.

Anyone out there who has had similar issues?

Switched from Ulster to AIB recently cuse I had a falling out with Ulster. I have never trusted Bank switcher teams myself. Went into ulster, closed my account, opened Aib account, told my employer and notified all companies with standing orders and direct debits, had everything done in 2 hours, a lot easier than worrying weather the Bank will do it peoperly:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I applied online nearly 2 months ago, and it was taking so long they cancelled the application because its not allowed take longer then 28 days from start to finish. So annoying. Gave up and had to go into a branch, but surprise surprise still waiting to hear anything :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Davy wrote: »
    I applied online nearly 2 months ago, and it was taking so long they cancelled the application because its not allowed take longer then 28 days from start to finish. So annoying. Gave up and had to go into a branch, but surprise surprise still waiting to hear anything :mad:

It's not that I don't "trust" switching teams, but the service you get by ringing a bank and making an appointment to see someone to open a new account is about 500 times better. I had problems switching to Ulster using the online team. They were USELESS (they were very unhelpful and not concerned). I went into my local branch fuming, and the guy was fast, apologetic, courteous and professional. I will contact him directly if I need banking services again. Apparently phone teams and online teams are never as good as they are less 'personally involved' with you, and as such are less bothered in a lot of cases. They also have less power to make changes and fix problems than your branch can if you go in. This is sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye i would agree with you, its just annoying that i never had a problem with halifax online or not including when i switched to them online. Pity they have to close really

Davy wrote: »
    Pity they have to close really
    It certainly is - bad for the irish market and the irish consumer.
    They transferred over the last €100 now - so process is finished up - I suppose it wasn't so bad after all.

Advertisement