Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach Head

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Did anybody ever play a game called Beach Head, it was on some obscure pre commodore 64 computer, I think it began with a z. It was one of those games you had to load on a tape recorder plugged into the computer. I'd love to even see a screen shot of it again.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played it on the Commodore 64. It was also releasedon the ZX spectrum as well as other computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I dident know it was on the c64, I dont know what I played it on, it wasent a spectrum anyway. My fathers office were going all futuristic and got a computer but months later nobody could use it so it ended up in our house and this game came with it. Nobody used the computer for anything else, what could you use one for in the early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yep, used to play Beach Head a bit on the Commodore 64. AFAIK, you got to control a tank in the game??? I think you could also control pillbox guns, and shoot at incoming enemy planes?
    Long time ago now - bout 25 years ago!

I cant remember much about it now, I think there was a sheet at the start where you had to land your tanks on the beach, you had to avoid mines and the more tanks you got through, the more lifes you had in the game. I vaguely remember controlling a tank. Must be about 25 years allright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember that game very well, it was released here by US Gold having been a big C64 hit in the States, there was quite a buzz about it and a lot of full page ads in the mags, then when it was released it was a bit rubbish really, the Speccy version was also muck.
    The most entertaining bit was shelling oncoming ships but even that was like a program in Basic you'd type in!
    And awful lot of lousy games on the Speccy, C64 and Amstrad came heralded with big, well done adverts, they knew the punter would be convinced of the game merit based on the quality of the ad.
    Not much has changed so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I had fond memories of it on the c64.Dont remember it as being muck but having said that I was young...

Wow, that brought back some memories, the hours I spent playing those few sheets and never getting bored. Nothing crap about that game, for its day that was pretty good, I'd say my 9 year old would even enjoy that today. I'd definitely say it has been 25 years since I saw that, possibly more. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose I had too many other decent games to play, you have to remember that back then most people could only afford a couple of games at a time so we were generally obliged to be happy with our purchases, unless you had a twin deck tape player like me!
    Then you had tons to play!
    Beach Head? no thanks when you can be playing Elite, Tau Ceti, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Ant Attack, Bobby Bearing, Gyroscope, Starion, and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gman2k wrote: »
    Long time ago now - bout 25 years ago!

Jesus it's 1/4 of a century since I played it, think I need a beer:)

I've still got the c64 and the tape somewhere.

Now you know how retro gamers feel all the time, thinking about playing Asteroids when it came out, over 30 years ago!
    Makes you feel even older however when people talk of their first console being the PS, or worse the PS2!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Makes you feel even older however when people talk of their first console being the PS, or worse the PS2!

Another way of looking at it is we were privileged to experience the older machines first hand. :)
    The current issue of Retrogamer has an article on Beach Head I think.

I remember a similar hullaboloo about Raid Over Moscow, that was quite good fun, again a series of mini games reflecting each stage in a mission.
    Also great from that stable USGold/Imagine were Mikey and Green Beret (or Rush'nAttack depending on your age!).

And here you go, Beach Head included!
    http://zxspectrum.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Tried to introduce my son(7) to the joys of retro gaming..new zealand story..black tiger....shinobi..."graffics are a bit crap da" and went back to playing MW2.Dont know what we went through so that they can play games of that caliber:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You've got to hook him on the good stuff like two player Bubble Bobble. However if he didn't like New Zealand Story and would rather play the bland single player of MW2 then there is no hope for your child. I suggest you drown him and get a new one.

TBH we were all young and impressionable once. I used to think mortal Kombat 2 was the best thing ever. Looking back at it it's a heap of **** and street fighter 2 was the true classic. I was wowed by the graphics in donkey kong country but they look truly awful now and it's a bland platformer while super mario world still looks and plays fantastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

Really enjoyed Beachead like so many others so dug out 2 discs C64 Classix & Commodore 64 Classics (revive) but couldn't get them to play.

Anyhow are there anymore C64 updated versions about that use a gamepad, I have a steam account but couldn't find on there.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement