Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argus charging for online views

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Purchase

Articles:
    • Single article=€ 0.50
    • 10 article bundle=€ 3.50
    Subscriptions:
    • 3 month subscription=€ 19.99
    • 6 month subscription=€ 29.99
    • 1 year subscription=€ 49.99
    I'v seen it all now.
    The Country is struggling and anyone abroad who views the Argus online will have to pay subscription charges.
    Rip off Ireland..................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I've mixed feelings about your post, but supposing I sharpen the sword of thought on the subject and create a defense for the argus charging online, my first initial thought would be that they are actually getting it cheaper than us who buy it once a week for three months which would cost us 24 euro for the three months.

The argus needs all the funding it can get to keep running and I think they have devised a clever way of doing that whilst being a service to those who are abroad.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is not just the argus.

There was an article on Myles Dungan the other morning and this is going to be widespread come August or September. The London times was one mentioned and when Rupert Murdoch gets in on the act watch out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I will pass on that. There is other ways to get the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

49 is not bad for a year. It's 2 something for the week every week of the year. If anything your saving...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Crazy thing to do. They should have maybe pushed banner ads or the like if they wanted to increase revenue. Nobody, or certainly very few will pay for 'news' online with other avenues and local papers like the democrat online for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

no loss to me :) i buy the democrat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i for one will certanily not be paying to look at the site....i'll just read watever i need to on the democrat site...

I understand the argus may want to try to increase revenue but this will certainly drive me, and most of the people that i know who read it online, away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have no problem with papers charging for on-line views. Why should any newpaper provide a free internet service? The Irish Times, at one stage, allowed free printing of the daily crosswords. The train each evening was full of people with A4 sheets doing the Crossword when they had previously bought the paper. Now there is a charge and I see people with the newspaper again. It's a business after all. Banner ads aren't the answer as revenue for these has all but dies in the past 2 years.
    It's the same with Iplayer free downloads of TV content. Why should licence payers pay for a service that others access free?
    I suspect over time the newspapers (most of whom are now charging) will drop the internet stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I have no problem with papers charging for on-line views. Why should any newpaper provide a free internet service? The Irish Times, at one stage, allowed free printing of the daily crosswords. The train each evening was full of people with A4 sheets doing the Crossword when they had previously bought the paper. Now there is a charge and I see people with the newspaper again. It's a business after all. Banner ads aren't the answer as revenue for these has all but dies in the past 2 years.
    It's the same with Iplayer free downloads of TV content. Why should licence payers pay for a service that others access free?
    I suspect over time the newspapers (most of whom are now charging) will drop the internet stuff altogether.

BBC I-player is only free to people in the UK because everyone in the UK with a TV are legally supposed to have a TV licence so it is paid for by TV licence holders....

Like i said earlier I only read the argus.ie for local news and i will read democrat.ie from now until they start to charge....then i will go without.

bbc.co.uk, rte.ie and to some extent breakingnews.ie are all much better than the newspaper sites anyway so they stand to benefit once the newspapers start to charge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Why should any newpaper provide a free internet service?

It needs to, because nobody buys its paper? :D:pac:

I have a lot of respect for the democrat and the great job they do, but from my own experience ( bar the posts in this thread) I dont know of anyone who buys this paper, Someone once said they were giving their papers away at one stage to wean people onto it, I suppose there was one incident where I saw piles of them ( same issue ) in the doctors waiting room. So I cant say I'm suprised they allow people to read it online for free.

It depends on your own personal preference of course, as to what newspaper you'd like to buy, but I find it to be full of adverts these days, and I've tried to buy it the odd time but its stories are few and its adverts are in abundance. No doubt some of its loyal readers will challenge my viewpoint, so if you feel you can by all means persuade me if you will.:D

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

I suppose they will want to start charging for the weekender next.
    People overseas cannot go to the local shop and buy the argus.
    Most only read a few articles as it would take a day to read the whole argus online,
    Why give it free in the first place.

Drogheda Indo' is doing the same now.
    I will be passing on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Newspaper companies over the last few years just make me LOL, and I am confident they'll continue to do so for a while.

I logged onto the Drogheda Indo' site to read about Gary Kelly being arrested for possible criminal damage and a more possible serious crime (there is more, its in the D.I. though).
    Guess I will read about it elsewhere instead.
    (See here: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/exfootballer-quizzed-over-broken-window-2125378.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

This doesnt suprise me and i agree its full of ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Obviously their sales must be down .... Fair enough for those living abroad on the 6-months / Annual fee. Providing of course that the online copy is identical to the paper version. As for the Single-article / Bundle thingy, they must be smoking the paper as well as writing it, thats a rip off and i doubt they will sell any of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Dont think I'll be subscribing either. Wasn't the on-line edition only a small summary of the actual paper anyway?

Advertisement