Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i get rid of dry flaky skin on my forehead?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

a few skin questions for the experts in skincare... i want to find some products to prevent my skin ageing and get rid of the flaky looking forehead..

1) when i put on my foundation, it looks awful on my forehead, all flaky looking. what causes this? how do i get rid of it?

2) i clean my face every night with nivea cleanser for normal and combination skin ( i use this to remove my makeup) should i change cleanser and if so to what? i know alcohol can irritate the skin, can anyone recommend me a mild cleanser with natural ingredients in it? again that i can buy in dunnes/tescos? any with NATURAL ingredients/ oils?

3)i put on a bit of my la roche posay moisture cream every night before bed and in the morning. there is no spf in this moisturiser yet it is €20. can anyone recommend me a moisturiser with spf in it?

4) also i never exfoliate my face? should i be doing this? and if so could you recommend me a cheap exfoliator i could buy in dunnes that would do the job? or a face mas kor whatever

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kelly55555

Ok first of all you don't exfoliate...how else are you gong to remove the dead skin!!!

Best product on the market by far is dermalogica. I've used dozens and believe me that's the one to go by!

If you get a good moisturiser than just get a dunnes exfoliator...i can't think of any off the top of my head now to be honest but one that's not too grainy as it will upset your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

1. If you moisturiese about 5 mins before putting on makeup, it shouldn't flake as much. Else use a primer. It will smooth out your skin.

2. My sister uses silcox base to take off her makeup - she has really dry skin, but this seems to work for her. You could try johnsons baby moisturiser (the pink stuff) as this can be used to take off make up and its really gentle. I just use soap (bought at a health food shop) and water - but again make sure the water isn't too hot.

3. Oil of Olay has SPF in it and its really good. There is a thread here somewhere were people (including me) were recommending it.

4. Exfoliator. Some people exfoliate every 2nd day, others a couple times a month. I only do it when I remember. If you have dry sensitive skin - try making your own scrub with honey, egg and oatmeal (can be used as a mask also) or just coarsely ground oatmeal. It would be much better for your skin then any shop bought version. I have shop bought (benefit) exfoliator, but tend to use oatmeal instead as its kinder on the skin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

3)i put on a bit of my la roche posay moisture cream every night before bed and in the morning. there is no spf in this moisturiser yet it is €20. can anyone recommend me a moisturiser with spf in it?

The flaky skin might be a symptom of an underlying skin condition, have you tried the likes of E45? It is for sale in Tesco, the product comes in various dispensers and sizes, a very large tub would be roughly the same price as La Roche and will work as well, if not better than what you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭oide10

I'm sure there's a thread on this already.

There is no point moisturising dead skin cells, you need to exfoliate them away. You don't have to buy expensive exfoliaters. I, personally would use a bit of sugar with bio oil (even ordinary olive oil) and gently massage it onto my face concentrating on the dryer areas in particular. Wash off. The sugar will slug off any dead skin and the bio oil will moisturise. You only need to exfoliate once to twice a week depending on how dry the skin is at the moment.

Then you can moisturise as there is no dead skin barrier to prevent the moisturiser doing its job. A moisturiser with little perfume might be your best bet something like Simple.
    Unfortunately you have to play around with moisturisers to find the one that suits you and your skin, everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

you must have dry skin which would cause the dry skin on your forehead. also working in warm dry environments, under lights or any kind of heat such as central heating can dry the skin.it is especially common at this time of year.
    you need to change your cleanser for one that is for dry skin, garnier is one of the cheapest but is quite nice, but any range including nivea will have cleansers for dry skin.

try using a gentle exfoliating scrub this will help to remove the flakes that are there and will prevent further build up of dry skin flakes. if you go to any chemist or even the supermarkets will have them. they are usually between 6 and 8 euro but last for ages.

la roche posay are an excellent brand but you need to make sure you are using moisturisers formulated for dry skin. again any range will have these.
    make sure your foundation is also for dry skin, many arent and will stick to dry skin. one of the best ive come across for dry skin which gives excellent natural coverage is max factor pan stick.
    other than that....... moisturise before you go to bed and maybe try taking some multivitimin and fish oil or primrose oil supplements.
    hope this helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

just to add to all the great advice above make sure you are drinking enough water. I recently upped my water intake to 3litres a day and honest to god the dry patches disappearing. It will nicely plump your skin out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

OP, it's hard to say what will work for you as we don't know what is causing this problem. You may want to consider going to a dermatologist.

Exfoliating twice a week to remove dead skin cells is recommended. At night time consider using an oil instead of a moisturiser. It's very good for dry skin. I'm using Liz Earle superskin concentrate but you can buy oils from any good health shop. Argan oil is the new big thing. I've been using oil since Christmas and my skin has survived our baltic winter.

In terms of products, the cheaper ones could be too harsh for your skin. Vichy, La Roche Posay and Roc are all excellent ranges which are sold in pharmacies. I tend to buy my skincare on the internet. Dermalogica is also a very good range and I buy from adonisgrooming.com. I've been using Liz Earle recently which you buy from her website and it's also a good range.

I'd definitely recommend spending a little more money on a quality product range if you have problem skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Trilogy do a great Rosehip oil, or for a cheaper alternative you could buy vitamin e capusles and pop them - theres enough for your face and neck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I had this exact problem but it's solved now - how I managed it I'm not sure but I

- started using a make up primer from makeup forever
    - changed cleanser to l'oreal
    - changed daytime moisturiser to Garnier

previously was using Nivea moisturiser for sensitive skin but it was making my eyes water . .. I think I became allergic to it . . .and also just needed something heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Hi OP I had this problem too..
    I got my skin looked at and started using dermologica,, i find it amazing.. Its a bit dear but a cleanser toner and moisturiser costs about 90 but you will get about 4-5 months used twice a day...
    best thing is to exfoliate at night, rinse well and put some night cream on!
    also maybe drink more water as i know air conditioning and too much dry heat can cause skin to become dehydrated and flaky...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

Someone mentioned E45 above- I can second this and specifically recommend their Itch Relief Cream- I know it sounds a strange one but that's what the girl in Boots recommended for me when I had really flaky skin. It's really working well for me.

I keep meaning to try Dermalogica but I just never seem to have the money so go for it if you can afford it because people seem to love it but in the mean time try the E54 Itch stuff- it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

I've been using Dermalogica for the last few years up to a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm veri disappointed with it, I don't think it's as good as I thought.
    I started out with very oily skin so was using a moisturiser for oily skin, after about a year my skin turned very dry so started using one for dry skin and have some facewashes and the microfoliant and it didn't seem to help my skin at all.
    The last few weeks I've been using the Lidl Iseree moisturiser for dry skin and there's a huge improvement!! Also started using the Tesco vitamin E facial scrub in the last week and my skin feels lovely, still dry in parts but nowhere near as bad as it was.
    I used to use an exfoliator sponge and found it great must get one of those again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I have horribly flaky dry skin on my forehead so I've found the easiest and quickest way is too use exfoliating gloves (can be bought everywhere from supermarkets, etc...) put warm water on them and exfoliate gently for a couple of minutes, then moisture the skin. I do this after a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Simple Tip :Wash face daily with a good old fashioned face cloth !
    Apply elbow grease as required .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 A_m_y

My skin can get a little dry in the winter, but its fine the rest of the year, i use la roche foaming cleanser, but if you have one that works for you i recommend just using an exfoliating pad from the body shop, think u get 6 of em for a fiver, and u can use one for weeks as long as you rinse it after you use it, and u can use it with your regular cleanser!

I just do it a couple of nights a week and cover my face in moisturiser (nivea soft) and my face is like a babys bum in the morning!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

complicit wrote: »
    Simple Tip :Wash face daily with a good old fashioned face cloth !
    Apply elbow grease as required .:D

I use a facecloth every morning but doesn't help me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was in exactly the same boat OP.

I started cleansing/toning and moisturising using Guinot products. I'd always used off the shelf brand but nothing worked till I found Guinot. I've very fickle skin. I've talked about it before here.

I agree with the above posters, try using an exfoliator.

Anywho without repeating myself too much there's a nice exfoliator from Guinot called Gommage Biologique and I found this the best for my skin. It's not too harsh at all. There's no grains, it's a gel or sorts. It lovely and lasts forever. Try and get a free sample and try it. It helped me big time. There's also a masque I use (from Guinot too) after exfoliating and my skin is so soft and flake free afterwards.

Good luck OP. I know exactly how frustrating it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tom2008

very often your scalp is a reservoir causing this

go to a pharmacy and buy Nizoral shampoo

use it three times a week for two weeks and then once a week instead of your usual shampoo - should help clear this

Advertisement