Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sister doing test - broken rev counter?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My sister will be doing her driving test soon. However, the rev counter is not working. She is concerned that it has to be working for the test..
    Anyone know if it would be an issue..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It shouldn't be an issue as it is not a statutory requirement to have one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It should be ok - my car doesn't even have a rev counter, and it was fine for the test.

It should be ok - my car doesn't even have a rev counter, and it was fine for the test.
    It's irrelevant in the OP's case but, as an aside, there's a huge difference between not having a particular piece of equipment and having one that doesn't work.

For example, if your car wasn't constructed with a near side mirror, you can't be penalised for not having one but having a near side mirror which is hanging off and therefore useless is a different matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

While I was taking my truck lesson today I mentioned this to my instructor and he said there is a good chance the examiner will cancel the test if he notices the Rev counter broken. I'd recommend get it fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

It's irrelevant in the OP's case but, as an aside, there's a huge difference between not having a particular piece of equipment and having one that doesn't work.

For example, if your car wasn't constructed with a near side mirror, you can't be penalised for not having one but having a near side mirror which is hanging off and therefore useless is a different matter entirely.

Same with fog lamps, you don't have to have them but if you do they have to be working. Well that's the NCT anyway, can't imagine needing your fog lamps in a driving test, if it was that foggy they'd probably postpone the test. But the tachometer (that's what a rev-counter is called, not to be confused with a tachograph) is noticeable from inside the car, so I wouldn't take the chance. They can cancel the test if any warning lights at all come on, so a broken instrument might be the same.
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    While I was taking my truck lesson today I mentioned this to my instructor and he said there is a good chance the examiner will cancel the test if he notices the Rev counter broken. I'd recommend get it fixed!

+1, but if you (OP) want to take the chance it's up to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

There's no problem, a tester cannot refuse to take someone out if their rev counter isn't working. They can only refuse to conduct a test on health and safety grounds and a rev counter doesn't come under this heading. Similarly with fog lights or even headlights, they never check these as tests aren't conducted in the dark or if it's foggy

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I think a rev counter is required in a truck because of multiple gear changes, environmental issues etc. (I've can't ever recall driving a truck or bus that didn't have one).
    Richie15 wrote: »
    Same with fog lamps, you don't have to have them but if you do they have to be working. Well that's the NCT anyway
    If you present a vehicle for NCT test with fog lights that are working they test them to ensure that the light beam is aligned correctly and that the lights are fitted at the correct height. If they are not working (eg. no bulbs) they don't test them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'm open to correction but I think a rev counter is required in a truck because of multiple gear changes, environmental issues etc. (I've can't ever recall driving a truck or bus that didn't have one).
    He also instructs in Cars to which I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Day before my test a brake light on my car was cracked, bulb still worked and it glowed red to the cars behind. Asked my instructor about it, he reckoned that I would not be allowed to take my test if the tester saw it. Tester never even looked at the car after the engine checks but a bit of a risk I reckon. Plus a broken rev counter would be more noticeable in my opinion.

Day before my test a brake light on my car was cracked,........ .......a broken rev counter would be more noticeable in my opinion.
    As has been said, you can't compare a brake light with a rec counter. One is mandatory, the other is an 'extra'.

If you car's air conditioning, parking sensors, sat nav, sunroof, fog lights, radio, cruise control etc. were not working, you cannot be penalised as they are not statutory requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

As has been said, you can't compare a brake light with a rec counter. One is mandatory, the other is an 'extra'.

If you car's air conditioning, parking sensors, sat nav, sunroof, fog lights, radio, cruise control etc. were not working, you cannot be penalised as they are not statutory requirements.

+1 even if 1 brake light wasn't working they'd still take you out once the other 2 are ok. Most modern cars have 3 brake lights, so if 2 are working it's not a problem.

Advertisement