Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much oil Should a indoor Grant system use?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    I am living in a new house with a Grant oil burner in the kitchen. I only need to have the heating on for 3-4 a day but I seem to be burning oil at a huge rate, I have used over 1200 liters since christmas.
    I had the plumber check the line and burner and he said there was no problems.
    Has anyone an idea how much liters these systems burn in an hour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭bog master

Burkus wrote: »
    Hi
    I am living in a new house with a Grant oil burner in the kitchen. I only need to have the heating on for 3-4 a day but I seem to be burning oil at a huge rate, I have used over 1200 liters since christmas.
    I had the plumber check the line and burner and he said there was no problems.
    Has anyone an idea how much liters these systems burn in an hour?

Sounds about right. Had similar system in my last house. As explained to me by my plumber, depends on the nozzle. Standard/most common is a .60 which allows a burn of 6/10 of a US gallon per hour which is roughly 2.25 litres per hour. Now I know the boiler is not firing every minute, it does cycle on and off. But just assume it does, you have it on for 4 hours x 2.25 litres=10 litres per day.Approx 100 days since Christmas x 10 a day, there you have 1,000 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Burkus

Thanks bog Master, My first house and I though it was a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭bog master

No problem! But usage will depend on several factors. The size of the nozzle as I explained, size of the boiler, which is related to the size of the house, and the temperature the boiler is set at, and whether you have a thermostat in the house.

Having said all that, your usage does seem a bit high, but not overly so. I would get the boiler serviced in spring/summer and ask yer man, nozzle size and btu output just for your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Best way to cut down the usage is by using controls and insulating/draftproofing .
    Is there thermostats fitted to turn off heating when house is warm enough?
    Is there a cylinder thermostat and motorised valve on the hot cylinder to shut off when water is hot enough?

The more insulation you put in your house the less time your heating will need to run.
    The better draft proofing done the easier it is to stop cold air coming into rooms.

Advertisement