Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head Gasket Cracked Renault Clio How Much Will it cost to repair?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi bought a 99 renault clio last week its only a run a round until I can come up with the money for a new car. It's NCT'd til Jan '11 which is great cos i only bought it for €500 the point is the head gasket is slightly cracked (so the mechanic told me) when i do eventually bring it for NCT will they fail me on it and roughly how much would it cost to fix? I would like to NCT it and sell it on to make a few euro out of it!!!

Comments

If it's not burning much oil it should pass the NCT, ensure there is correct oil and water levels in it prior to test and keep a daily check on both too and keep an eye on temp gauge.

HG work depends on if the head is ok, has it overheated ? If it's the actual gasket that has deteriorated the work may not be too dear. However if work is required such as skimming etc it costs more.

Is it defo the gasket he said was cracked ? Unusual to refer to a cracked gasket to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lori88

RoverJames wrote: »
    If it's not burning much oil it should pass the NCT, ensure there is correct oil and water levels in it prior to test and keep a daily check on both too and keep an eye on temp gauge.

HG work depends on if the head is ok, has it overheated ? If it's the actual gasket that has deteriorated the work may not be too dear. However if work is required such as skimming etc it costs more.

Is it defo the gasket he said was cracked ? Unusual to refer to a cracked gasket to be honest.

I had my friends bro look at it when i bought it and he thought one of the oil seals where gone cos there was a little moisture when he touched underneath the engine, its not leaking bad cos iv had it in the garden for over a week and there no oil mark on the concrete! Anyway i sent it to the mechanic to give it a once over. I dont know much about cars so maybe that was his way of easily explaining it to me. He just said there a crack in the head gasket dats y its leaking a little oil and told me to keep an eye on the oil and it's not that big of a problem! She's a little smokey when started from cold would that matter?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Smokey from cold would suggest the engine is worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I 'm guessing that you'd like to keep the car on the road as cheap
    as possible.
    Well there are different types of additives you can buy that might stop
    the leak. Your local motorfactors should be able to help you out.
    They might be able to give you a few tips.
    I've done this in the past myself to a few cars to keep them going.
    Good luck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its leaking a little bit of oil at the back of the engine from between the block and the head.

What the mechanic meant was keep an eye on your oil level I wouldnt be very worried about this as long as its not a really bad leak its common on Renaults.

Just keep an eye on your oil level every few days and it will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The head gasket being cracked is not a term that would be used.

The burning oil and the oil leaking on the engine will not likely be connected. It would be common enough for the rocker cover gasket to leak a little on Renault's of that vintage.

If it is burning oil then that means that the valve stem seals are likely worn, if the car is running perfectly from cold then it won't be the head gasket as if it was you would have compression issues as well a likely cooling issues.

If he is any good he should have a sniff tester which will tell you straight away if the head gasket is gone.

Advertisement