Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and Drinking

Options
  • 01-04-2010 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Just curious - do any of you care if the pubs are open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

no, like a poster on a similar thread previously said,
    People should stop drinking alcohol on good Friday when the clergy stop fiddling with kids.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Denerick wrote: »
    dont mind at all, wont make any difference to me, i am not into the pub culture, but i would not be against them being open on good friday, for those who wish to go there, i will still eat no meat on good friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I won't be drinking alcohol on Good Friday.

I take a drink myself, but only in moderation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

barney 20v wrote: »
    People should stop drinking alcohol on good Friday when the clergy stop fiddling with kids.......

Go sit in the corner and think about why no-one respects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Couldn't give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Couldn't care less whether the pubs are open or not.

I'm driving to a service and then preaching on Friday evening - so drinking wouldn't be a very good idea in my case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

PDN wrote: »
    Couldn't care less whether the pubs are open or not.

I'm driving to a service and then preaching on Friday evening - so drinking wouldn't be a very good idea in my case. :)

True PDN, better to be guided by the Spirit rather than the spirit. :)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

barney 20v wrote: »

Why should anyone "stop drinking alcohol when clergy stop fiddling with kids"? Surely it shouldn't be a trade off, people who want to drink on good friday should be allowed, and nobody should be allowed fiddle with kids whether we drink or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As a Christian (not Catholic, btw) I think they should be open. People should be able to make their own choice, and this means that if they don't observe Easter (or Christianity) then they aren't accountable to some obscure tradition. On a personal note, I drink enough as it is, so I'm happy to make my own decision not to do anything too crazy on Good Friday. I'll happily have a drink on the Sunday, which I'm beginning to look upon as a joyous time of celebration for all Christians.

Anywho, there was a similar thread a few days back.

::Edit::

If there is any more nonsense about kiddy fiddlers posts will be deleted. There is a mega-thread given over to the clerical abuse scandals, post there and keep this thread on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Go sit in the corner and think about why no-one respects you.

Why do you assume no one respects me?
    Is it because i quoted a previous post from another board member on this very topic this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Armas22

At the end of the day it's all about the money and publican's profits. After a spell in A+E recently, I think it's a shame St Patrick's day isn't dry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Armas22 wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's all about the money and publican's profits. After a spell in A+E recently, I think it's a shame St Patrick's day isn't dry too.

A dry St Patrick's Day is the ultimate Irish oxymoron. There will be snowball fights in hell before that happens. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

A publicans business is really none of my business, if I was a publican myself though, being a Catholic I wouldnt open my pub on Good Friday, nor will I be drinking ( I'm off it for lent anyway ) or eating meat, I dont eat meat any friday of the year, and I eat fish.

If Catholics are truly practising ones they wont go near a pub regardless of whether its open or not.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

What's the issue here though? Is it that we shouldn't drink on good friday, or that pubs shouldn't be open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If Catholics are truly practising ones they wont go near a pub regardless of whether its open or not.

A truly practising Catholic isn't allowed walk past a closed pub?:confused:
    Don't be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

The funny thing is in making good friday a non-drinking day, it has become one of the biggest drinking days in the year here.

Anywhere selling alcohol was packed today with people stocking up. Most people I know will drink more on good friday than on a normal Drinking night.

So I reckon get rid of the silly rule.

I am also not religious, and hate when things like this are forced on me.

But in saying all of that, I won't be drinking myself. Just because I only like to drink twice a week and I drank for both Champions League nights already this week!

baz2009 wrote: »
    A truly practising Catholic isn't allowed walk past a closed pub?:confused:
    Don't be stupid.

I never meant go near a pub as in ''walk past one'' I meant go for a drink. Perhaps I should of been a little more clear in my choice of words, as I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I never meant go near a pub as in ''walk past one'' I meant go for a drink. Perhaps I should of been a little more clear in my choice of words, as I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Don't worry, everyone kew exactly what you meant. Some people just can't help trying (and failing) to be smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I don't want to live in a semi theocracy. People should have the right to choose to drink or not. As someone else already said,if they followed the dogma they should be able to discipline themselves.
    That said I think this country would be in a far better state if alcohol were never invented. We're a nation of alcoholics. Mass panic and buying beer in bulk from the off license because the pubs are closed for one day-this is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Armas22 wrote: »

Well, it was before my drinking time, but Patrick's Day was included in the dry days until it law was changed in 1960.

I could appreciate what you saw in A&E, but there is responsible drinking and those that abuse it.

• Advertisement

After some thought on the matter, I must admit that telling people they cant drink on a particular day of the year gives them all the more reason to do it, so in hindsight we'd be actually leading them into sin which would be wrong on our part. After reading the Irish Catholic this afternoon even Pope benedict XVI instructs us that its wrong to prohibit people from drink.

''Pope Benedict is constantly reminding people that Christianity must be emphasised as a positive choice rather than a list of negatives or prohibitions.'' ( excerpt from artice within Irish Catholic ).

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

After some thought on the matter, I must admit that telling people they cant drink on a particular day of the year gives them all the more reason to do it, so in hindsight we'd be actually leading them into sin which would be wrong on our part. After reading the Irish Catholic this afternoon even Pope benedict XVI instructs us that its wrong to prohibit people from drink.

''Pope Benedict is constantly reminding people that Christianity must be emphasised as a positive choice rather than a list of negatives or prohibitions.'' ( excerpt from artice within Irish Catholic ).

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

& If Catholics are truly practising ones they wont go near a pub regardless of whether its open or not.

With all due respect, you seemed quite clear and coherent in your earlier posts. And now? Is it thought on the matter or you toeing the new party line so to speak?

bog master wrote: »
    & If Catholics are truly practising ones they wont go near a pub regardless of whether its open or not.

With all due respect, you seemed quite clear and coherent in your earlier posts. And now? Is it thought on the matter or you toeing the new party line so to speak?

Hi bog master, no my previous qoute on practising Catholics still stands valid, this post I've just made is more of an extentsion of that statement. That as Catholics we shouldnt prohibit non beleivers from their freedom of choice, or even ourselves, and that if we are truly practising Catholics we wont go into a pub for a drink on Good Friday regardless of whether its open or not.

Jesus invites Christians to imitate him and to obey his commandments, but he does not force it upon us.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Hi bog master, no my previous qoute on practising Catholics still stands valid, this post I've just made is more of an extentsion of that statement. That as Catholics we shouldnt prohibit non beleivers from their freedom of choice, or even ourselves, and that if we are truly practising Catholics we wont go into a pub for a drink on Good Friday regardless of whether its open or not.

Jesus invites Christians to imitate him and to obey his commandments, but he does not force it upon us.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

If I may ask, what is wrong having an alcoholic drink on this particular day?

bog master wrote: »
    If I may ask, what is wrong having an alcoholic drink on this particular day?

Because it is a day of fast and abstinence on which we eat bread and water only, or if the faithful member wishes to do so, abstain from all solid food.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have not been drinking or eating meat today. Hover I could not care less if others do.

I think it sad however that everyone is calling the tradition a sham. Afterall how many in the pub trade can actually say they have a guaranteed friday off...

Enjoy the day off folks. As for drinking and meat. Its only one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Bet our holy fathers are supping on the vino tonight, and probably had their fingers touching pinkish meat today...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

even if they were giving drink away today, I wouldn't partake!

Its now Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Armas22

I think it sad however that everyone is calling the tradition a sham...Its only one day.

Dead right Joey, one solemn day in the year is little to ask. Bet the publicans in Limerick are making a bomb from drowned sorrows tonight...bloody ref!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭I.Am.A.Panda

Any publican that wants to open on Good Friday should be allowed to do so. I mean, imagine if all shops selling meat had to close down.

The rationale behind making it dry is that we're a Catholic nation.

*bzzzt* Wrong - We're not. Although a huge majority identify themselves as Catholic, many aren't practising, and will no doubt be off their faces tonight.

The only argument I've heard and read (In the Herald mind you) is that "Well we're only asking people to give up drinking for one day!". Yeah, and on that rationale let's hold a day banning the selling of Fast Food, one banning the sale of junk food, etc., etc. There is no logic in taking away publicans profits and people's freedoms for tradition's sake.

Advertisement