Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just did a quick Price Comparison...

Options
  • 01-04-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Between and BMW dealer in the UK and BMW Dealer in Ireland on a 2008 520d SE and guess what... we're still about 5k better off going to the UK.

So anyone else got any comparisons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bbability wrote: »
    Between and BMW dealer in the UK and BMW Dealer in Ireland on a 2008 520d SE and guess what... we're still about 5k better off going to the UK.

So anyone else got any comparisons?

care to break it out the uk dealer stuff and link to car???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you actually tried to negotiate a deal on either, you'll probably get more discount from the Irish dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

How 'new' is the car in the comparison? Because VAT could also be charged by the VRT office.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

still think its BS....

So for the heck of it here's two BMWS... one in the UK and one in ROI
    used m-sport... as cargiant didnt have any SE models
    and carzone had a 520d m sport as well, similar miles.. cargiant known to be cheap in the uk ... so a fair comparison i think

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/BMW/520D/details-456876-BMW-520D.asp

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE-/201006196839669/advert?channel=CARS

uk one:
    24590.00stg = 27663.75eur at a rate of exchange of 1.125

VRT = 6649 on a 149co2 rating.......

total cost of purchase is €34,312.75

ROI one

total cost €31,950

so before taking into account, taking a day of work, travel accross,and petrol to drive it back etc....... the ROI car is €2362 cheaper.......

so i am real confused how a Uk car is 5k cheaper than here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm on the iPhone at the minute but I'll put the two cars up later on today. Both cars are 08 520d se auto. One in kildare BMW garage and the uk one in autotrader in a BMW main dealer. 35k for Irish car and just 23634 euro for uk car plus 6600 vrt. The only bullsh1t I see is we still have to go to uk for a bargin.. They still haven't learned a bloody thing

I'm on the iPhone at the minute but I'll put the two cars up later on today. Both cars are 08 520d se auto. One in kildare BMW garage and the uk one in autotrader in a BMW main dealer. 35k for Irish car and just 23634 euro for uk car plus 6600 vrt. The only bullsh1t I see is we still have to go to uk for a bargin.. They still haven't learned a bloody thing

cool.... can you link to the uk car later???
    21k stg is cheap very very cheap price........

and first car on Carzone for a 2008 520d se with 15k miles... is only 31,950 before haggling
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE-/201006196839669/advert?channel=CARS

and the cheapest with a dealer and pics is
    €26500.00 which is cheaper than the UK one you looking at.... and its in kildare as well ... funny that isnt

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520D-SE/201010197190354/advert?channel=CARS

BS???

No salesman worth his salt will do a deal on the phone prior to you seeing and driving the car, there could be loads off the Irish one for a serious customer. You can get a carvery lunch in the UK for a fiver too btw :rolleyes:

If you can't get 10% (minimum) off the screen price of a 2008 BMW from a dealer in Ireland you shouldn't leave the house alone.

The issue here is you just did a quick price comparison, you need to do more legwork really. If you're willing to ferry in a car from the UK (pain in the arse in my opinion, and potentially risky if you don't have a clue what you're at, not sdaying you fall into that category mind) you should be willing to actually do some haggling with the Irish dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Doesn't all of this depend on the spec of the car? If the UK one has more kit then there could be a saving all told...not saying 5k but something worthwhile?

Isn't that what the huge UK import thread on this forum is all about? :confused:

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Doesn't all of this depend on the spec of the car? If the UK one has more kit then there could be a saving all told...not saying 5k but something worthwhile?

Buying 2nd hand it doesn't make a huge difference, also 2008 BMWs here and there would be similarly specced in many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just to point out that I was looking in other main dealers here over the pas few days and to say 500 euro was as much that was been knocked off similar vehicles. Oh and btw bimers specs are both the same standard/spec.
    And this thread was just to discuss price differences not how to import cars. That's well covered on the uk import thread. I was just shocked to find a difference of 5k in the price that's all. Other makes/models examples are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just to point out that I was looking in other main dealers here over the pas few days and to say 500 euro was as much that was been knocked off similar vehicles. Oh and btw bimers specs are both the same standard/spec.
    And this thread was just to discuss price differences not how to import cars. That's well covered on the uk import thread. I was just shocked to find a difference of 5k in the price that's all. Other makes/models examples are welcome

Links?

And 500 euro straight discount? I find that very hard to believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

But as pointed out, someone found a 5k difference between two Irish sellers of Irish 520d's also.
    And point to note for those quoting Euro prices for cars in the UK - just using XE.com to change the currency is not good enough, there isn't a hope any normal joe soap will get within an asses roar of the actual exchange rate when they go into the bank. On €25,000 I'd expect a difference of nearly €2,000 more on the bank change versus the market change rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm getting mental flashbacks to LoveDucati2/Conlonbmw/Schumacher1 ...

Advertisement