Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical VRT for UK Import

Options
  • 01-04-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what VRT figure I would have to pay if I imported a 1990 Ford Transit 5 Berth Camper in from the UK. The revenues website is not very user friendly so if anyone with experience could give me an approximate figure, that would be most useful.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

hi johnny,
    the vrt depends on the weight of your vehicle.
    if its over 3 tonne the vrt is only 50euro. below this weight the vrt is 13.5%
    of their estimated value of your motorhome.
    (i am open to correction on the exact figures quoted)
    i would imagine a 5 berth transit wouldn't reach the magic 3tonne mark.
    best of luck with your new camper.
    regards,

kev. www.iwmotorhomes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is no typical figure and you probably won't get an answer from your local VRT office either.

This mystical "open market value" is divined by some lads down in Rosslare by means of a crystal ball and some illegal herbs.

(something to do with the facts that there really isn't much of an open market for second hand motorhomes and dealers sometimes just make up prices as they go along)

What you can do ...if you have pictures and details of your potential buy is to take them to your local VRT office and they can then forward them to Rosslare. They usually come back with an evaluation in about a week (don't know if they are "working to rule" these days though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So, for a van conversion, is it better to clear the UK van for €50 and then convert it, or convert it and then clear it?

Will I still get stung by the funky boys in Rosslare either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's another issue with our VRT system ...it pretty much depends on the tester on the day.

There is anecdotal evidence of designations simply being changed by the stroke of a pen, whereas others had to pay hefty amounts of VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

i know his is an old thread but ill post here instead of creating a new one as my question is similar to the op

has anyone any knowledge of a ball park figure of what id have to pay in VRT on an import of a VW t25 camper fom the UK? the one im looking at is 7,000 sterling but hope to get him down closer to 6,000 or lower if he's feeling it :) the reason im looking in the UK is just there is a way better selection of t25's and in top notch condition.. would my VRT be based on the cost i payed and would the VRT people want proof of how much i payed? this is surely easy to fix by me and the seller i could say i paid less?? just dont wanna get stung though as the one im looking at is quite expensive as it is, but its a beauty and a rare model.. i tried to contact the VRT people but they are next to useless :( any help greatly appreciated.. who on here has done a similar thing and what did you end up paying in VRT?? thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Customs and Excise calculate the VRT on THEIR opinion of Irish market selling price, not on how much you paid for it.

Once they have calculated the figure you will have to pay it and then, if you think the value they've put on it is too high, appeal it with documented proof of what similiar campers are going for. Print outs from ebay, done deal etc.

Then, if you're lucky, they will send you a refund cheque. I had the amount reduced by roughly 25%.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Given that they base it on what they value a van at is it possible for them to provide you with this figure before you import the van??... Or do they actually need to see the van.

It's not so much that they have to see it, it's just that they won't put a value on it until it's registered here.
    It would create a lot of work for them if every time someone was thinking of buying a camper they asked for a VRT valuation, decided it was too much and then asked for a valuation on another one and so on and on until they found the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have a very basic problem with this system.

VRT on motor caravans seems to be the only area of taxation which the citizen is not pre-advised about. Be it cars, land, inheritance, property, income, or any other transactions which are subject to a tax the amount which will fall due is pre-definable.

This thing about motor-caravans not being pre-definable and leaving the citizen in a perilous situation of not being able to know his/her tax liability in advance of a transaction must be unconstitutional.

I know an appeals procedure exists but this can only take place after the purchase transaction has taken place and denies the citizen of the opportunity of avoiding a legally binding transaction if the final cost is beyond the sum budgeted for.

It is somewhat of a mystery to me as to why the dealers in the industry have not taken the Revenue Commissioners to task already, but perhaps I am being a bit naive ;)

As far as I know it's ALL vehicles brought into the country. Not just campers. Unless you've owned the vehicle for a certain length of time.

The problem, as I see, it is how could an evaluation be done without a vehicle being inspected?. No two vehicles are going to be quite the same. Do you put a lower value on a left hand drive? some people prefer them as they go onto the continent a lot whereas I never take mine out of the country.

Low mileage on a vehicle is more desireable than high, how could that be allowed for?.

Although I agree with you, Niloc, I think the current system is the only way they can go.

One question though, do you have to pay inport duty in any other E.U. country?. If as I suspect it's only here in Ireland then that would be the way to challenge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As far as I know it's ALL vehicles brought into the country. Not just campers. Unless you've owned the vehicle for a certain length of time........................................

Not quite right, see here https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1 where you can get the VRT on all M1, and N1 not exceeding 3,500Kg before you purchase.

Vehicles over 3,500kg are not catered for on the calculator as they all have a flat rate of €200, that is except motor caravans :mad:

Thanks Niloc, I stand corrected. Things have changed since I had anything to do with VRT other than the camper and for that I found the current system worked.

I still feel however, that it would be very difficult to find a standard price for our vehicles. I have a CamperVan whereas you, I believe, have a MotorHome. A long weekend is just right in my 'van, after that I start getting cabin fever:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

niloc1951 wrote: »

It is somewhat of a mystery to me as to why the dealers in the industry have not taken the Revenue Commissioners to task already, but perhaps I am being a bit naive ;)

We have! but it's like banging your head against a wall. It's an ongoing saga .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

niloc1951 wrote: »
    There is a case about the legality of vrt as a whole going for about 12 years the wheels of justice can be very very slow when those holding the purse strings are involved

moodrater wrote: »
    There is a case about the legality of vrt as a whole going for about 12 years the wheels of justice can be very very slow when those holding the purse strings are involved

And with the economy being the way it is, it'll probably go on for another 12 years, regardless of who is in power. It would cost money to change the system and they would probably lose money at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

is there duty on a commercial van I want to buy one in Belfast and its under 3500 kg so what should I expect to pay ? The van will cost about 4.500 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I should ask in Motors if I was you , rather than an old thread about campervans.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

What about the registration as a camper, does the imported campervan also need to be inspected beofre being registered as a camper?
    Who does this inspection on a UK imported campervan which most likely was converted in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

n1st wrote: »
    What about the registration as a camper, does the imported campervan also need to be inspected beofre being registered as a camper?
    Who does this inspection on a UK imported campervan which most likely was converted in the UK?

If its factory built it goes to NCTS, not sure about conversions.

Advertisement