Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Bros. 2

Options
  • 01-04-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get people's opinion on Super Mario Bros. 2. I just recently got the GBA version (Super Mario Advance) and have been playing through it.

I remember the first time that I played in on the NES and I didn't really like it. I thought that it was too different to the first game and too hard. Back then I didn't know the story behind the game and why it was so different. The next time I played it was on the SNES collection Super Mario All Stars.

Of the games in that collection Mario 2 was by far the least played for more or less the same reasons, i.e. too hard, different. Now that I'm playing through it again I can see that it is quite good. Still no where near as good as Mario 3 or Mario World though.

What do you think of it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I like it, but it's by far the weakest of the NES Mario Bros games. I remember playing it as a kid and being unimpressed. Then I got it with my GBA in 2001 and played through. That's when I started to appreciate it. Birdo will remain its greatest gift to the Marioverse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I thought it was surreal and good as a child. I have the GBA version too. It still holds up well today. What other game has a transsexual dinosaur as a boss character?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I always liked it, to be honest. I haven't played it for a while, but its a decent challenge, and it was different from what came before it (which maybe the reason it was scorned so much).

Must dig it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Well it wasn't really a Mario game, it was a game Ninty wanted to release in the west that wouldn't do well as a standalone game so they re-coded the game with Mario sprites and tacked on the Mario name. The real Super Mario 2 as we have it is the lost levels which is awesome.

The Mario bros 2 we got however is a good game, quirky and some interesting gameplay concepts but is not a true SMB game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was never all that fond of it. It was good fun but it got boring fast I found and ended up not really enjoying it when I played the GBA remake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I played a bit of this recently and whilst it was fun its not in the same league as other mario games. the Mechanic of picking and throwing can be a little clunky and it does get a bit dull, the level design is a bit strange as well but then again the entire game is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Well it wasn't really a Mario game, it was a game Ninty wanted to release in the west that wouldn't do well as a standalone game so they re-coded the game with Mario sprites and tacked on the Mario name. The real Super Mario 2 as we have it is the lost levels which is awesome.

Doki Doki Panic! The Lost Levels is (are?) insane, and isn't really a sequel. It's really just the first game turned up to 11.

Advertisement