Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Punto. High rev, steering wheel leaning to left!

Options
  • 01-04-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 00 fiat punto, the steering wheel is leaning to the left and car slightly shakes when in neutral.

Any ideas what it could be??

seems to be driving fine, no backfiring or oil leaks..

Just wondering if it is head gasket/ or does the wheels just need to balanced?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

any advice??

plz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The wheel leaning to the left is most likely alignment. The vibration in neutral could be anything, has the car been serviced recently? I take it all fluids are ok?

what do ya mean by high rev??

Anan1 wrote: »
    The wheel leaning to the left is most likely alignment. The vibration in neutral could be anything, has the car been serviced recently? I take it all fluids are ok?

Going for service tomorrow, just recently bought the car, fluids seem to be ok, driving well apart from slightly vibrating when in neutral, the rev counter stick (not sure what you call it) is at 8 revs when in neutral

shaaane wrote: »
    what do ya mean by high rev??

when i turn the engine on, the rev stick/dial is at 8 revs

• Advertisement

800 or 8000?

800 or 8000?

800 :rolleyes:

800 :rolleyes:

Thats not high, u sure its not 8000? Is it red lining?

shaaane wrote: »
    Thats not high

Should it not be at zero when i start the car? or when in idle??

no 800 sounds about right when she's idle :D

• Advertisement

And you give me the rolleyes? :D

Just get it serviced, see what the mechanic says.

And you give me the rolleyes? :D

Just get it serviced, see what the mechanic says.

:rolleyes:

for sure! Honestly I have no clue about this sort of thing! do you mean when I start the car, the rev stick thingy should be ok at 800 revs??

Actually 800 could be a bit low, hence why the car is vibrating, might be no harm for her to be at 1000, sounds like the throttle cable just needs a bit of a tighten, easy fix! (hopefully)

:rolleyes:

for sure! Honestly I have no clue about this sort of thing! do you mean when I start the car, the rev stick thingy should be ok at 800 revs??
    800 sounds ok to me, but it depends on the car. In your place i'd have someone who knows a bit talk you around the basics of how a car works.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

800 sounds ok to me, but it depends on the car. In your place i'd have someone who knows a bit talk you around the basics of how a car works.

+1. 800 sounds fine, it's about what i'd expect from any of the puntos i've driven. If it's idling low, you could stop, put up the handbrake, put it in neutral and while it's shaking, very slightly give the engine some revs and see if the shaking stops.

UPDATE*

Mechanic said it was the top shock mounts causing the vibration..

The steering wheel to the left was the tracking which was done for 20e at KwikFit :)

Car is fine now!

Thanks for the help/advice

Advertisement